Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Sep 20, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #241 of 2,219
Isn't it the same? You would need to buy the more expensive 256GB card with the Shanling, but the price difference if you take the Sony and the 200GB card you would need to spend for the Sony cable.

And if you just want a transport you don't need the M3s. The M2s or the M1 would do. Result is the same.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #243 of 2,219
Late as usual, subbed and looking to possibly replace my M1 as the portable unit I use...

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #244 of 2,219
In France, she is suppose to show up next week... Any signs in the States ?

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #245 of 2,219
Having extensively auditioning a recent generation Sony DAP, I'd say it's your loss going work Sony over Shanling. Maybe Sony's lower tier DAPs are better?
I am eyeing the A40 myself, and I'll probably convince my wife to allow me to get both the Sony and the M3S. My birthday is coming, after all. :wink:

I think Sony's DAPs sound and look pretty good, and the A-series of players are competitively priced, too.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #246 of 2,219
I am eyeing the A40 myself, and I'll probably convince my wife to allow me to get both the Sony and the M3S. My birthday is coming, after all. :wink:

I think Sony's DAPs sound and look pretty good, and the A-series of players are competitively priced, too.

I borrowed a HeadFi buddy's ZX1 for a couple weeks. Wasn't impressed...

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #249 of 2,219
I was thinking it would be nice if head-fi had some kind of regional forums so we could maybe coordinate "group buys" of DAPs just to listen to and compare.

Yeah, that would be cool. Luckily, I've got buddies around the US I trade gear with and have gotten to hear some very nice gear that way!

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #250 of 2,219

I am curious to compare the A45 to the A35 to see if I can hear a difference. Just wondering if the better quality mainboard and higher quality solder on the A45 will make an audible difference. I have been doing some research on MQA and posted some stuff in the A40 thread. It doesn't look like it will be much use to me and it isn't really a great feature unless you can stream audio which of course Sony DAP's don't do. At this point it isn't clear if MQA will be widely adopted as you may need to rebuild your music collection to take advantage of it. This could become a little used feature on the Sony DAP's. If this the case it could make the Hibylink feature on Cayin and Shanling DAP's an even more attractive feature. It wouldn't surprise me if you see something similar to Hibylink from Sony on their next round of DAP's.

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #251 of 2,219
I borrowed a HeadFi buddy's ZX1 for a couple weeks. Wasn't impressed...
I don't have much experience with the ZX1, but I didn't think I was disappointed with it during my auditions. It has been some time, though. The ZX2 was pretty impressive, on the other hand.

I am curious to compare the A45 to the A35 to see if I can hear a difference. Just wondering if the better quality mainboard and higher quality solder on the A45 will make an audible difference. I have been doing some research on MQA and posted some stuff in the A40 thread. It doesn't look like it will be much use to me and it isn't really a great feature unless you can stream audio which of course Sony DAP's don't do. At this point it isn't clear if MQA will be widely adopted as you may need to rebuild your music collection to take advantage of it. This could become a little used feature on the Sony DAP's. If this the case it could make the Hibylink feature on Cayin and Shanling DAP's an even more attractive feature. It wouldn't surprise me if you see something similar to Hibylink from Sony on their next round of DAP's.
Honestly, I doubt that there'll be any audible differences between the A45 and the A35, at least under normal listening conditions. It's an incremental upgrade, with a reduction in price, even.

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #253 of 2,219
I know I look forward to trying it out pretty soon. :wink:

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #254 of 2,219
I don't have much experience with the ZX1, but I didn't think I was disappointed with it during my auditions. It has been some time, though. The ZX2 was pretty impressive, on the other hand.

Honestly, I doubt that there'll be any audible differences between the A45 and the A35, at least under normal listening conditions. It's an incremental upgrade, with a reduction in price, even.

Owe I know but since Sony made a point of mentioning the better mainboard and solder as features it would be nice if it helped even just a little bit.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #255 of 2,219
For what its worth, I was able to trade my old Shaning M2 to Amazon for a little over $120. So right now I am down to the M1 and M2S.

I really liked the sound of the M2 but I found it fairly unreliable compared with the M1 and M2S.

So now I have some Amazon pocket cash for new toys.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back