Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Sep 9, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #166 of 2,219
I just realized these use the same DAC chips as the Fiio X5 III. Hmm, interesting. I wonder how they'll compare sound-wise.

That DAC is quite potent, the AMP section and the implementation is what will make the biggest difference.

Judging from how Shanling implemented M2s, I think that it will be great. I mean, I wasn't having huge expectations for M2s, but it really left me impressed with both its usability and its sound, really full, deep, and well extended all-around.

Sep 9, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #167 of 2,219
Edit: Just thought about this but... no one in their right mind would carry an expensive DAP out where it can be seen. (Like on the bus in Houston) You might lose your life right alongside your DAP when they follow you somewhere.

Understand where you're coming from given past experience, but I think that's a little extreme- there's certainly no shortage of iPhones and iPads on public transportation either. Though I guess smarter thieves research what to target, and DAPs don't have IMEI registration and lojack like phones.

Do you find the new series Shanling interface ill suited for pocket use?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #168 of 2,219
I'm a pocket guy all the way, unless I'm sitting down somewhere. When I go out on weekends I usually wear a shirt with a front pocket so I can use my pant pockets for wallet and phone etc. Damn this hobby now not only dictates my wallet but also my wardrobe! :beyersmile:

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #169 of 2,219
Understand where you're coming from given past experience, but I think that's a little extreme- there's certainly no shortage of iPhones and iPads on public transportation either. Though I guess smarter thieves research what to target, and DAPs don't have IMEI registration and lojack like phones.

Do you find the new series Shanling interface ill suited for pocket use?

Well its not hard to spot something that has an obvious OLED screen and that its obviously not an iPhone or Android phone. So... its RARE and STEALABLE!

Devices like that aren't activation locked. And as you said... No Lojack either.

You have to think like a thief to understand them. Things like "fancy mp3 player that's obviously not a phone" are easier to shift/fence. Not to mention if they realize its not a phone they are likely to assume the headphones are worth something too. At least worth googling.

There are rings of car thieves that hack digital keys after all. Simply grabbing a DAP "aint no thang" as they used to say in my old hood. I lived in New Orleans back when we had the biggest murder rate. (At the time I remember jokes that at least we were "#1 at SOMETHING.") :)

Come to think of it... If I hear Steely Dan coming out of someone's $1000+ DAP I might be tempted to steal it just to save it from abuse. :) (j/k)

If you were asking ME about Shanling for pocket use... I haven't used one yet but the M1 seems to have the best pocket control I've seen yet. (At least in theory from the pics and videos I've seen.) The M3S looks almost as good but Im waiting to see how the sound quality is first.

My ideal DAP would be running Cowon's OS, sound like a Cayin N3 but with Shanlings hardware controls. (Except with a parametric EQ that none of them have. With the ability to save EQ profiles per song and playlists... and name them ON the device.)

Either that or simply put Hiby Music Player (Android/iOS) in a dedicated ROM System on a chip. (SoC) Although they need to allow you to draw your own points for the parametric EQ)

Im half considering just waiting till January to get something after all the DAP makers have had a chance to firmware up and maybe release some new models. The usability of DAPs has been abysmal for too long.

Especially needing external programs on computer to generate playlists that never work... or take 90 years of hacking to make work. Manually editing text files? Seriously?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #170 of 2,219
No, sorry I haven't a clue. I wasn't trying to be funny.

He meant that its not actually "USB 3.1 gen 1" (5Gbps) or "USB 3.1 gen 2" (10Gbps) speeds. (Which isn't USB-C specific as much as we might like it to be.)

Unfortunately as far as I know none of the currently available USB Type-C DAPs support anything above USB 2.0 speeds. :frowning2:

It's not technically a part of the USB Type-C spec that you have to support those speeds but I really wish it was for ease of reference. The USB-C connector also can support Thunderbolt as a protocol. (40Gbps) but that will likely happen on DAPs in 2030 sometime. :)

Although for DAPs that use OTG you could just use thunderbolt to copy to an SSD drive and bring the drive along with you.

At the very least it would be nice if DAPs supported the USB-PD (power delivery) spec. As far as I know they still all use the same low voltage as all the other micro USB 2.0 stuff no matter what connector they use. (So if they don't use Qualcomm proprietary Quickcharge <tm> BS they take 3 hrs to charge.)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #171 of 2,219
Just curious... how old are you? I turn 40 in a couple years and my fondest memories are of carrying a Sony Walkman in my hoodie or jacket pocket in the late 80's and early 90's. I've waited 20 years to have that experience in my pocket again but even more portable. I used to make mixtapes and the only thing I had to do with my hands was reach in and fast forward. Often I'd use 120 minute long play tapes. Less resolution but more "storage." I look forward to the day when I can use a smartwatch app to control my dap while using wireless headphones. As an adult I find myself wanting to listen to music while mowing the lawn or edging or any other "adulting" tasks. Washing dishes and cleaning my kitchen. (Wife works at home so I cant always just blast the stereo) Also... when I have to spend time with my in-laws... (shudder) I can hide my dap in my pocket and be in my own little wireless world without anyone getting pissy. Most of them don't even notice.

(It's also difficult to do work while carrying stuff in my hands... which is when I often want to be listening to music.)

I want the convenience of being able to do as much as possible without having to pull out a screen and do the smartphone zombie routine. It annoys people. It also wastes time. If I can skip between songs and albums in my pocket its a lot faster than having to pull it out and mess with a touchscreen. Not to mention here in Houston we have REALLY badly maintained sidewalks. I've nearly killed my knees a few times trying to switch albums on my phone while walking.

We also have our fair share of crime. I don't want to be caught by surprise and end up having to punch someone with my dap clutched in my fist. :)

-- That actually happened to me with a walkman in the early 90's. It also pulled my (non removable) headphone cable out... breaking it.

(Or be in the middle of enjoying my tunes only to have someone rip it out of my hands and run off with it.)

I think this is why the "professional" DAP world hasn't been able to overcome Apple so far. The small community of people who care about "absolute sound quality" don't seem to understand any use cases other than their own. The other 98.9% of us aren't considering listening to music being the PRIMARY activity. That doesn't mean they don't appreciate sound quality... but if it hinders the other things they have to be doing then it's the first thing to go.

This is one reason I'd like to see DAP reviews get both professional AND user ratings.

Edit: Just thought about this but... no one in their right mind would carry an expensive DAP out where it can be seen. (Like on the bus in Houston) You might lose your life right alongside your DAP when they follow you somewhere.
I'm actually 34. Do I sound younger? :D

When I was growing up, all I wanted was the Discman. I was a kid in an era that was transitioning between the Walkman and the Discman. I preferred the latter, as it was so much easier to locate tracks. Using cassette tapes was a bit of a chore, as you had to constantly rewind/fast forward. I didn't mind the larger footprint associated with the Discmans at all.

Fast forward 20 odd years, and we have stuff like the M2S. Small but potent. In any case, it should tick most of your boxes. It sounds good, is sufficiently small, and can be controlled from within your pocket. The hardware controls are easy to use, but you'll look like a bit of an oddball constantly reaching into your pockets and moving your fingers. :joy:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #172 of 2,219
I just realized these use the same DAC chips as the Fiio X5 III. Hmm, interesting. I wonder how they'll compare sound-wise.
The implementation of the DAC differs between devices, IMO. The X5iii utilizes the same DAC as the AK380, but they differ quite a bit in technical performance, for example.

Still, I think if it's well implemented, the M3S will sound great. I'm quite confident it will. :)

Sep 10, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #173 of 2,219
The implementation of the DAC differs between devices, IMO. The X5iii utilizes the same DAC as the AK380, but they differ quite a bit in technical performance, for example.

Still, I think if it's well implemented, the M3S will sound great. I'm quite confident it will. :)

I have every confidence that M3s will beat FiiO X5iii for dynamic, engaging sound. No question in my mind based on my past experience with many DAPs from both companies.

There, I said it...

Shots fired :gun:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #174 of 2,219
I have every confidence that M3s will beat FiiO X5iii for dynamic, engaging sound. No question in my mind based on my past experience with many DAPs from both companies.

There, I said it...

Shots fired :gun:
Yes, the gauntlet has been thrown, bro!

krazy2.gif

M3S VS X5iii. A great battle for the hearts (and wallets) of the Head-Fi faithful.

Sep 10, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #176 of 2,219
M3s should be compared with Lotoo Paw 5000 MKII. Similar price and both not andriod.

Geez, AKM4490 really taking over the portable market.

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #179 of 2,219
M3s should be compared with Lotoo Paw 5000 MKII. Similar price and both not andriod.

Hadn't heard Lotoo was updating PAW 5K. Sure hope it's better than the original PAW 5K or it doesn't stand a chance, lol.
:rolling_eyes:

I really hope some companies can develop a DAP with CS4399 chip.

Agreed
:vulcan:

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #180 of 2,219
I'm actually 34. Do I sound younger? :D

When I was growing up, all I wanted was the Discman. I was a kid in an era that was transitioning between the Walkman and the Discman. I preferred the latter, as it was so much easier to locate tracks. Using cassette tapes was a bit of a chore, as you had to constantly rewind/fast forward. I didn't mind the larger footprint associated with the Discmans at all.

Fast forward 20 odd years, and we have stuff like the M2S. Small but potent. In any case, it should tick most of your boxes. It sounds good, is sufficiently small, and can be controlled from within your pocket. The hardware controls are easy to use, but you'll look like a bit of an oddball constantly reaching into your pockets and moving your fingers. :joy:

I'd kill for a DAP that would let me scrub in realtime like you could with tape (but variable speed using a wheel) I like being able to get to tracks but sometimes I want to find a certain part. It would help to be able to hear it backwards and forwards at 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x speeds. I used to use an operating system called BeOS that could do that natively. I think any DAP costing $500 or more should have this. I expect more from devices specifically made for music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back