Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Dec 10, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #1,246 of 2,219
Hello,
Just browsing thru this thread. Is there a scrolling wheel/knob issue? The reported units are too new/recently acquired to show signs of faulty operation.

Hmmm... I'm about to receive mine in a week or so.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #1,247 of 2,219
Hello,
Just browsing thru this thread. Is there a scrolling wheel/knob issue? The reported units are to new/recently acquired to show signs of faulty operation.

I think that the wheel failre is considerably more a rarity than a rule. Any issues will surely be addresses by Shanling or the seller though!

Dec 10, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #1,248 of 2,219
I think that the wheel failre is considerably more a rarity than a rule. Any issues will surely be addresses by Shanling or the seller though!

I'm with George on this one, and Shanling has already spoken up, I believe, as has the dealer, when the OP spoke to them...

Hello,
Just browsing thru this thread. Is there a scrolling wheel/knob issue? The reported units are too new/recently acquired to show signs of faulty operation.

My knob/wheel is solid as a rock, and no play. I think this is a very small anomaly, such as when a car manufacturer has a small problem, but a good portion of those who have the problem speak up. Mind you, I'm not trying to make light of either situation, but quite often the most vocal, are the ones with a problem (which is good to hear about, regardless..).

Dec 10, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #1,249 of 2,219
My small gripe with the wheel is that it lacks consistency in its response... sometimes one click/turn of the wheel will cause it to jump two steps (either in volume or going up/down a file list) and sometimes it will only advance one step.

Is it just mine or do they all do that?
Is anyone else's wheel behave the same way? Trying to determine if this is normal behavior or if I should have mine exchanged...

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #1,251 of 2,219
Nope. Im using latest fw right now.

I assumed you are running on current firmware. I was recommending to try different firmware, as in one of the older builds, to see if the problem stays.

Hi,
I have had the same issue with knob from the beginning. I thought that is FW problem, so I came back to original version. I have also impression that the knob is to sensitive and often chosing option himself. Two or three times the factory settings were starting accidentally. And more, the volume is extremely uncomfortable, I should turn it many timest to change it. Comparing with Astell@Kern AK70 is really annoying. So the only reasonable way is to use Hiblylink. I have no cons for music quality - is really excellent with my Fiio F9 Pro.
I bought it from Jaben online shop, so I think that returning DAP is rather unreasonable. But it's a risk of bying abroad.
So what solution do you propose Shanling?

I can understand it takes some time to change volume if you go from zero to hundred, but how often does one do that? And without touchscreen there is hardly anything we could do to make it quicker.

Is anyone else's wheel behave the same way? Trying to determine if this is normal behavior or if I should have mine exchanged...

Yes, sensitivity of wheel can be little problematic to some users, we are still trying to improve it further with firmware updates.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 10, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #1,252 of 2,219
I assumed you are running on current firmware. I was recommending to try different firmware, as in one of the older builds, to see if the problem stays.
Is that ok if i downgrade the fw ?
Btw for the wheel, somtime i feel the wheel like almost stuck, and one time it was completely stuck. It happened when i was choosing songs, i couldn't press the wheel. But after i hit back button, the wheel went back to normal. Its not the real problem cus it rarely happens.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #1,253 of 2,219
I can understand it takes some time to change volume if you go from zero to hundred, but how often does one do that? And without touchscreen there is hardly anything we could do to make it quicker.

Pretty often, if you switch between headphones of different sensitivity, or if you use the balanced out to connect to an amp. (I mean, I'm not actually going between zero and a hundred, more like 20's to 70's most of the time)

This isn't that big a deal for me as a usability thing, though. My main concern would be premature wear to the volume knob.

Dec 11, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #1,256 of 2,219
Dec 11, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #1,257 of 2,219
I don't see why it couldn't format cards. Even most ultra budget DAPs have that function.
I am not seeing an option to format the card in M3s, unless I am not looking in the right place.

But a somewhat related question: when formatting the card in a PC (via card reader), what is the preferred format: exFAT? FAT32? NTFS? Something else?

I'm currently using a 32GB card with FAT32 and it seems to work fine. I just ordered a new 128GB card and wanted to know if I should use anything different.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,258 of 2,219
I am not seeing an option to format the card in M3s, unless I am not looking in the right place.

But a somewhat related question: when formatting the card in a PC (via card reader), what is the preferred format: exFAT? FAT32? NTFS? Something else?

I'm currently using a 32GB card with FAT32 and it seems to work fine. I just ordered a new 128GB card and wanted to know if I should use anything different.

Thanks!

For best results, format the card in the DAP itself. Otherwise, use exFAT. That seems to be the standard for all these devices.

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #1,260 of 2,219
And exactly how do you format the card in the M3s itself?

Ah, good point. There isn't an option to do it. This usually means the DAP formats the card automatically when it sees an unformatted card installed.

If you're able to transfer files onto the card, it is formatted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back