Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Dec 11, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #1,261 of 2,219
And exactly how do you format the card in the M3s itself?

Pick up the player with either your left or right hand, whichever comes most naturally to you. Lift it until it's anywhere between 10cm and 60cm from your face. This is crucial!
You'll then be required to hit the power button. If the device is already turned on by the display is simply off, quickly press the button for no more than 0.324897895703826583465023689562386586342756348265 seconds. However, if the device was not turned on, this will require the power button be pressed for longer...between 1.298346798346593645 and 3.278529674 seconds depending on the colour of the device (red one turns on the fastest).
Once the device is on, and you're on the main screen, navigate to the system settings menu by very gently turning the navigation wheel until the system setting option is highlighted. Be very careful, because if you turn it too far the navigation wheel will fall off, and the device may very well blow up.
If you successfully managed to get into system settings without damage or loss of life, use the same method to navigate to the format card option. If you don't find it at first, keep looking. Then, when you do find it, tell the rest of us where it is too :p

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #1,262 of 2,219
My small gripe (big gripe) is that it actually broke! Haha. It pressed in, and never popped back out. I tried to jiggle it to see if it might just release itself, but it did not. I tugged on it upwards (with not much force at all) and the knob popped off. I question it's durability or maybe this is an anomaly? who knows.

This just happened :triportsad: Bought mines from MusicTech but unfortunately the cost of shipping it back to them for an exchange is on me. Being in Hawaii the cost of shipping is a little more. I also owned the m1s and m2s and those had solid builds so I was confident the m3s would have the same quality build.

IMG_20171211_122717.jpg

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #1,263 of 2,219
This just happened :triportsad: Bought mines from MusicTech but unfortunately the cost of shipping it back to them for an exchange is on me. Being in Hawaii the cost of shipping is a little more. I also owned the m1s and m2s and those had solid builds so I was confident the m3s would have the same quality build.

Oh wow, that makes the timing of my previous post exceptionally poor. Some people in the M2s thread have had the same issue. What's going on Shanling?

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #1,264 of 2,219
Pick up the player with either your left or right hand, whichever comes most naturally to you. Lift it until it's anywhere between 10cm and 60cm from your face. This is crucial!
You'll then be required to hit the power button. If the device is already turned on by the display is simply off, quickly press the button for no more than 0.324897895703826583465023689562386586342756348265 seconds. However, if the device was not turned on, this will require the power button be pressed for longer...between 1.298346798346593645 and 3.278529674 seconds depending on the colour of the device (red one turns on the fastest).
Once the device is on, and you're on the main screen, navigate to the system settings menu by very gently turning the navigation wheel until the system setting option is highlighted. Be very careful, because if you turn it too far the navigation wheel will fall off, and the device may very well blow up.
If you successfully managed to get into system settings without damage or loss of life, use the same method to navigate to the format card option. If you don't find it at first, keep looking. Then, when you do find it, tell the rest of us where it is too :p

I followed your directions exactly... didn't work. Must have been off a couple of decimal places in my button press. I'll keep at it!!

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #1,266 of 2,219
I come from the old school of hard drives. I always assume everything is unformulated when I buy it. Whether this is the case or not, I can't say. But first thing I do is put it in the format I want.

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #1,267 of 2,219

You can't pop it back in? If you do, it doesn't work right anymore?

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,268 of 2,219
Shouldn't MT or Shanling pay for return shipping in this case since merchandise is defective?

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #1,269 of 2,219
You can't pop it back in? If you do, it doesn't work right anymore?

I'm able to pop it back in but now it's overly sensitive to presses. So if I'm scrolling through my music list it'll start playing a track as if I pressed the button. The "springiness" is now gone. Thankfully there's hibylink to navigate the music list however going in to change settings (ie. Eq adjustment, lineout mode, etc.) becomes very tricky. I'm pretty bummed out about it.

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #1,270 of 2,219
Shouldn't MT or Shanling pay for return shipping in this case since merchandise is defective?

From MT policy

You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund.

I'll try and contact them to see if exchanges are an exception to this.

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #1,271 of 2,219
I have never had button or scroll wheel issues with my M1, M2, or M2S. Having said that, i am starting to wonder if for some reason the M3S is prone to those issues. That is becoming a rather common issue here.

Anybody else have the issue mentioned by Pinky Powers in his review with noise from being too near a cell phone with this device?

Dec 11, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,272 of 2,219
I have never had button or scroll wheel issues with my M1, M2, or M2S. Having said that, i am starting to wonder if for some reason the M3S is prone to those issues. That is becoming a rather common issue here.

Anybody else have the issue mentioned by Pinky Powers in his review with noise from being too near a cell phone with this device?

I should mention, my Galaxy S6 always has Bluetooth and WiFi turned On. So it could be one of those signals interfering with the DAP, not just Cell signal.

Dec 11, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #1,274 of 2,219
Thank you for mentioning the noise. Now i know where the noise that i heard sometime came from. I thought something wrong with my cable, i planned to send back to check. Cus everytime i go out with my m3s, i change d songs i heard noisy sound (not the sound that i heard when i used bluetooth). But when i was back home, no more.
I just put the m3s and my samsung s8 plus in the same pocket and i heard that sound again...

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #1,275 of 2,219
Thank you for mentioning the noise. Now i know where the noise that i heard sometime came from. I thought something wrong with my cable, i planned to send back to check. Cus everytime i go out with my m3s, i change d songs i heard noisy sound (not the sound that i heard when i used bluetooth). But when i was back home, no more.
I just put the m3s and my samsung s8 plus in the same pocket and i heard that sound again...

Yeah, it should only be audible when your phone is within a few inches of the DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back