Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Dec 18, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #1,351 of 2,219
To revisit a topic from a while back, I decided for curiosity's sake to get a cheap infrared thermometer and compare the M3s's operating temp with different headphones when listening balanced.

Conditions were in no way scientific. Temps in Fahrenheit (sorry, I'm American):

Off: 68
SE425: 95
VE Zen: 89
iSine 20: 86
HD800: 84

This is with the M3s sitting on a table, no case. In its case and in a pocket, temps get quite a bit higher.

With the SE425 in case and in pocket after an hour's commute on public transit: 105 degrees on the side of the player facing the case.

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #1,352 of 2,219
Hello,

Noob question (sorry :flushed:).
This DAP doesn't come with an AC wall charge adapter in the box, correct?

One has to use a PC/Laptop's USB port or an AC wall charge adapter to charge the Shanling M3s unit.

Any precaution on choosing a AC Wall adapter? Manual specifies DC 5v at 2A.
Anything supplying lower than 2A takes longer to charge the unit?
Anything supplying 5V at 2.1A and above risks damage to the M3s unit?

Thanks for your patience, and help :sunglasses:

You should be able to use any charger you have around without any issues. I have been using a Xiaomi Charger for ages, along with a Samsung Charger. Both work quite well.

Dec 18, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #1,354 of 2,219
Ok,
Thanks Dobrescu.
Better safe than sorry :relaxed:

No worries!

The basic rule of thumb is that both the device and the charger should have regulators built-in that should protect both. Usually the charger has two modes, if it can also support Quick Charge, so it should detect that your device cannot Quick Charge and not send more than it can take.

On the other hand, using too low power chargers can be bad for your devices actually. As a recent study points out, that can lead to batteries being warm for too long, wich does more damage than one Quick Charge at higher AMPerages.

Dec 18, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #1,356 of 2,219
I see. Wonder how this compares to other daps in the same price range like ibasso etc. Or if it is comparable to higher priced daps

I think the only iBasso DAP that is currently produced is DX200. IT should compete directly with AP200 from HIDIZS, which I also have, and maybe X5-3, although X5-3 is far more expensive.

Very few current DAPs in this price area. I mean current, like produced this year.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #1,357 of 2,219
I think the only iBasso DAP that is currently produced is DX200. IT should compete directly with AP200 from HIDIZS, which I also have, and maybe X5-3, although X5-3 is far more expensive.

Very few current DAPs in this price area. I mean current, like produced this year.

Oh, I meant like the dx80, x5iii, ak Jr or higher priced ones like cowon, ak or Sony zx300 etc.

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #1,358 of 2,219
While travelling for the Christmas / New Year's Holidays, I've got my Asus Eee PC 1215B Netbook, which I modified upon purchase in 2011 (installed a 1TB drive, & 8GB of RAM). Originally, I installed Win 7 Ultimate on it, and it ran fine for a number of years - but then it became really laggy and nearly unusable - so, now I'm running Mint Linux. This netbook has two USB-2.0 ports, and one USB-3.0 port, to which I've connected a "Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Charging Hub with 60W Power Adapter with BC 1.2 Charging Support for Android, Apple iOS, and Windows Mobile Devices" -
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-SuperSpeed-Charging-Adapter-Support/dp/B00RM5OF70

I've got 4 of my USB DACs along with me (iFi Micro iDSD, Shanling M3s, Cayin N3, Zishan Z2/Walnut F1), and all of them are plugged into the USB-3.0 hub.
While the Z2 uses the same AK4490 DAC as the M3s, and the Walnut F1 is a Balanced output Amplifier, the only one that is a true Balanced solution, is the M3s - since it decodes the USB digital audio using a pair of AK4490 DACs, driving a pair of Amplifier chips, for the Balanced output.

Three of the four units are recognized, and usable, by Mint Linux (streaming YouTube audio) - the iFi Micro iDSD, Shanling M3s, & Zishan Z2/Walnut F1 - but the Cayin N3, which does go into DAC mode, isn't detected by the Sound Device Selector Screen in Administrative Tools. I did try swapping the USB-C cables, between the M3s & N3, but that didn't make any difference.

Dec 20, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #1,359 of 2,219
Hello,

Noob question (sorry :flushed:).
This DAP doesn't come with an AC wall charge adapter in the box, correct?

One has to use a PC/Laptop's USB port or an AC wall charge adapter to charge the Shanling M3s unit.

Any precaution on choosing a AC Wall adapter? Manual specifies DC 5v at 2A.
Anything supplying lower than 2A takes longer to charge the unit?
Anything supplying 5V at 2.1A and above risks damage to the M3s unit?

Thanks for your patience, and help :sunglasses:

The DAP comes with a USB C cable, so yes you need to provide your own USB power socket.

It really doesn't matter what charger you use, get the best one you can afford, and its better to get at least a 2A one.

The circuity will only draw the current it requires so you can use a 2, 3, or even a 10A charger if you want.

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #1,360 of 2,219
The DAP comes with a USB C cable, so yes you need to provide your own USB power socket.

It really doesn't matter what charger you use, get the best one you can afford, and its better to get at least a 2A one.

The circuity will only draw the current it requires so you can use a 2, 3, or even a 10A charger if you want.

Thanks SteveOliver.

I must have a charger available somewhere home, from all the cell/smart phone i've been ording :).
I was uncertain if would originate a too steep charging curve to the DAP unit.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #1,361 of 2,219
My Review of the Shanling M3S:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/shanling-m3s-digital-audio-player.22795/reviews#review-19605

withheadphone.jpg

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #1,362 of 2,219
whats this dap like? Is it much better than the m2?

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #1,363 of 2,219
whats this dap like? Is it much better than the m2?

M2 or M2s? It's been too long for me to comment on the M2.

To my ears, the M2s is a really good budget DAP, but the M3s sounds more like a mid-tier. It's definitely an improvement.

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #1,364 of 2,219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back