Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Nov 4, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #931 of 2,219
Just want to enquire about the aptx quality, how does the m3s handle bluetooth connections?
Its ok for me. Sounds good on aptx, however I don't know if it has aptx hd codec. @Shanling can confirm this?

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #932 of 2,219
Catching up...

That was the combo Shanling was supposed to send me :disappointed_relieved:

Yup

Ok. I've got to set this straight because I've got both DAPs at my disposal. I'M HOPING Shanling has "best in class" Hiby-based GUI for non-touchscreen DAPs. It's fantastic!

AP200 is an Android DAP that merely uses the Android Hiby app for music playback. I was completely taken aback when I saw this. It's so feature-poor that I was shocked. I asked if Hidisz would add him more features like Cayin and FiiO did in their Android DAPs, but Hidisz never responded. Sound is okay, but for the price I'd rather recommend something like the iBasso DX80, Opus #1, Shanling M3s, or the upcoming N5ii (which I just got in recently for beta testing). I have a hard time recommending the AP200 at all based on what I've seen and heard and completely understand that saying this means Hidisz will probably blacklist me which is no sweat off my back.

Are you saying FiiO X1 is brighter than M3s to your ears? I find that very surprising given what I've heard of X1 compared to the many DAPs I've heard.

Yes, M5 is such a refined, mature, smooth yet detailed sound. It's the type of sound FiiO X5III was obviously shooting for but failed to achieve, lol.

Considering what we've seen with with current generation Shanling DAPs, M5s should be an absolutely beautiful DAP both in sound and in aesthetics!

BLASPHEMER!!!

I'm amazxed that you dislike AP200 actually. The sound wasn't bad to my ears. It does compete with M2s rather than M3s though.

My understanding from my discussions with HiDIZS was that they are planning to implement more features. Without doing so, I agree, it would be rather... lonely.

I didn't write about it yet simply because right now, as you say, it is lacking a bit, and has some bugs. I won't promise any buyers that it will be sorted out, I will review it when it is sorted out.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #933 of 2,219
I'm amazxed that you dislike AP200 actually. The sound wasn't bad to my ears. It does compete with M2s rather than M3s though.

My understanding from my discussions with HiDIZS was that they are planning to implement more features. Without doing so, I agree, it would be rather... lonely.

I didn't write about it yet simply because right now, as you say, it is lacking a bit, and has some bugs. I won't promise any buyers that it will be sorted out, I will review it when it is sorted out.

Don't have ap200, but heard from others, besides @nmatheis Nick, the same, where they mentioned about the sound being mediocre with a current firmware implementation. Not gonna pass the judgment on something I don't have in my hands or heard with my own ears, but the fact still remains they are too consumed now with fulfilling crowdfunding orders instead of working on a firmware fixes of their first entry level android dap... OK, this is off-topic, so let's get back to M3S!!! Been so overwhelmed with incoming boxes of review stuff, I'm behind with my reviews and impressions. Hope to write something about M3S in a week or so!

Nov 4, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #934 of 2,219
Don't have ap200, but heard from others, besides @nmatheis Nick, the same, where they mentioned about the sound being mediocre with a current firmware implementation. Not gonna pass the judgment on something I don't have in my hands or heard with my own ears, but the fact still remains they are too consumed now with fulfilling crowdfunding orders instead of working on a firmware fixes of their first entry level android dap... OK, this is off-topic, so let's get back to M3S!!! Been so overwhelmed with incoming boxes of review stuff, I'm behind with my reviews and impressions. Hope to write something about M3S in a week or so!

Beyond that, AP200 Hiby implementation is the absolute worst I've seen. It's literally like you just installed Hiby app on your phone without any customization other than a custom splash screen. It's like facepalm bad, lol...

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #935 of 2,219
The new Venture Electronics IEMs sound great out of the M3s!

Biggie & M3s 02.jpg

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #938 of 2,219
So you have biggie's pre production model with you, How would you describe it. Is it worth buying when its officially available ? Did VE disclose the price ?

Big warm sound with lots of bass. Thick, lush vocals. I haven't listen much yet, but those are my first impressions. Don't know about price.

Pinky - Have you tried the M3S with the Noble IEMs? Looking forward to what Wild Lee has cooking.

Both Sage and Encore sound tremendous with this DAP.

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #939 of 2,219
Beyond that, AP200 Hiby implementation is the absolute worst I've seen. It's literally like you just installed Hiby app on your phone without any customization other than a custom splash screen. It's like facepalm bad, lol...

I agree, I think they need to add more to get the same hiby experience... Right now, the phone doesn't even see it properly. This is why I'm holding out my input on the software implementation.

Shanling doesn't joke around, M2s connects really well and does all the magic tricks that Hiby typically does. I expect M3s to do the same.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #940 of 2,219
Initial assessment between m2s and m3s

M2s has more of a analog sounding, it's pretty flat in nature. if you like your music analog sounding and flat then go for it. The resolution is not bad quite good treble feels smooth, bass is good too however the resolution here again is different. When I listen with my westone w30 I could hear the bass guitar in some tracks not as apparent compare to even when I hook it up to LO to my fiio a3. Only two low pass filter is provided, if I'm not mistaken the dac has 5 types of low pass filter (http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20140501AK4490_001/) but shanling only activated 2 types. Pairing it with most iem shouldn't be any problem.

M3s uses the same DAC but have two of them, to me the M3s although will sound a bit bright at first i feel it's because how it is focused a bit more on clarity and resolution. First thing I heard as compare to M2s, is the imaging, sound separation and soundstage, this has all improved. When you use the filters, Short Delay Sharp/Slow Roll-off on more darker iems you'll will feel that it doesn't sound too bright but more smooth, trebles rolls off nicely giving a nice rounded end to the treble. But if you listen to stuff like EDM or lower resolution, or use it as usb dac primarily then go ahead with m2s. The M3s has the additional two low pass filters which helps on imaging and sound signatures, depending on the pairing for different iem. - Short Delay Sharp Roll-off, Short Delay Slow Roll-off, Sharp Roll-off, and Slow Roll-off. Note that the first two is only available in M3s. This helps further if you already have a bright sounding iems.

This is just my initial assessment, for me I'm keeping my M3s for sure. for M2s I might get sell it off. One thing to note is M3s case is a bitch to remove, the tempered glass that came with it has a factory defect. I checked with a few of the other tempered glass and it all have the same defect. At the upper left of it there's a small crack. Could be production line issue.

At the moment, I'm listening to Bryan Adams now via USB dac on M3s with foobar2000 and goldring dr150 sounds very enjoyable and smooth.

Note that these are just my personal assessment, I've always like music and audio and everyone's perception of music and sound is different just like how some can or cannot take spicy food.

Ill be using it as Bluetooth DAC. Thank you for your suggestions! I guess I need to give it a try before i buy. Just rent a m2s yesterday and I have it is very warm and higher treble as compared with my fiio x5iii. This made me realize that what im searching for is something more detailed and rich with wider soundstage.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #941 of 2,219
I agree, I think they need to add more to get the same hiby experience... Right now, the phone doesn't even see it properly. This is why I'm holding out my input on the software implementation.

Shanling doesn't joke around, M2s connects really well and does all the magic tricks that Hiby typically does. I expect M3s to do the same.

I think you're misunderstanding. Hiby is the company that the DAP makers contract out with to develop the software. For instance, the firmware for Cayin, FiiO, Questyle, Shanling, etc. are all developed by Hiby with guidance by the DAP makers. Instead of making a nice customized experience for the AP200, all you get is the same old Hiby app you can download on the Android app store with all the same limitations.

I think you're thinking of the HibyLink feature, where you can control the DAP from your phone via Bluetooth connection.

Ill be using it as Bluetooth DAC. Thank you for your suggestions! I guess I need to give it a try before i buy. Just rent a m2s yesterday and I have it is very warm and higher treble as compared with my fiio x5iii. This made me realize that what im searching for is something more detailed and rich with wider soundstage.

Exactly why I called FiiO X5iii a "lazy sounding" DAP, lol.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #942 of 2,219
The M3s or the Cayin N5II could be exactly what you're looking for, Snowball.

Nov 4, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #943 of 2,219
Anyone knows how to use m3s as a Bluetooth dac from the phone.. eg if i want to listen on spotify..

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #945 of 2,219
Activate Bluetooth on both devices, on M3s don't select hiby link. Sync, then you are done.
Wow, that totally worked. What a nice feature to have!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back