Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
May 10, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #2,266 of 2,460
New firmware for M2s, 3.3. Mainly fixing the battery indicator problem.

Please download and see, if there are any other problems still ongoing.

Download from our website or from Google Drive

I've been using this firmware for three days now. I have not experienced any error. (including card error, or battery depleted)
So that is good news!

May 12, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #2,267 of 2,460
Enjoy reading the Shanling M2S Review! :beyersmile:

https://audio123blog.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/shanling-m2s/

photo_2018-04-27_22-16-44.jpg photo_2018-04-27_22-16-45 (2).jpg

May 13, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #2,268 of 2,460
I have one of these I'd like to sell if anyone is interested. I realise that there's an items for sale thread but I thought that this player might be a little too specific.

I'll obviously post on there if mods don't want this here.

Please message or reply to this if you're interested and want some details.

May 14, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #2,270 of 2,460
I know that my question is not at all related to this thread but I need your help. I'm thinking of getting the Apple Ipod Touch 6th Generation and convert all my FLAC to ALAC. I'm also going to buy the Audio Technica ATH-M50X as the main headphone I'll be using with the Ipod. What do you guys think? Will this setup workout?
I'm searching for a DAP with Wi-fi and many people recommended the Apple Ipod Touch 6th Gen. If I get an audio amplifier, which Fiio one should I get to make a difference in my audio listening experience? I'm sorry but I'm new to this audiophile community so please go easy on me.

May 14, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #2,271 of 2,460
I know that my question is not at all related to this thread but I need your help. I'm thinking of getting the Apple Ipod Touch 6th Generation and convert all my FLAC to ALAC. I'm also going to buy the Audio Technica ATH-M50X as the main headphone I'll be using with the Ipod. What do you guys think? Will this setup workout?
I'm searching for a DAP with Wi-fi and many people recommended the Apple Ipod Touch 6th Gen. If I get an audio amplifier, which Fiio one should I get to make a difference in my audio listening experience? I'm sorry but I'm new to this audiophile community so please go easy on me.

FiiO Q5 sounds much better than Shanling M2s, but it costs much more.

For this price, M2s is great. Should sound better than your iTouch, but it will be smoother and have less treble, and thicker sound with more bass. The nature of ATH M50 , which is very congested, is not recommended to be paired with things that are thicker, it leads to a rather congested overall presentation.

If this is your budget limit, I haven't tested something that works better, for this little money. If you can add a little to the budget, you might open to much better sonics :)

May 15, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #2,273 of 2,460
@originalsnuffy You're right. In terms of reliability, the M2S is amazing. Both the R3 and MO look amazing too.
@Dobrescu George I'm searching for a DAC with Wi-fi and the capability to run apps. I thought of purchasing the Fiio ones but they are larger in size. Compared to the Ipod touch that's very small. That's the only reason I'm rooting for the Ipod touch.

May 15, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #2,274 of 2,460
@originalsnuffy You're right. In terms of reliability, the M2S is amazing. Both the R3 and MO look amazing too.
@Dobrescu George I'm searching for a DAC with Wi-fi and the capability to run apps. I thought of purchasing the Fiio ones but they are larger in size. Compared to the Ipod touch that's very small. That's the only reason I'm rooting for the Ipod touch.

As @originalsnuffy pointed out, Shanling M0 or Hiby R3 would be the other options then :)

May 18, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #2,275 of 2,460
Do not forget me? Here is Custom fw based on 3.20
Everything is as usual: fixed English by gLer, good font, optimized speed and ability to load custom themes from the SD:/res folder.
Thanks a lot - would it be possible to change the font sizes with a custom theme?
Did anybody already create some more advanced themes?

At another site I saw that you once wrote some tools to unpack the M2s firmware, extract the resources and repack it again.
I coudn't find the tools anymore, they're no longer available - any reason for this?
Would you consider to make them publicly available again?

BTW, Fw 3.3 is out and seems to fix the annoying battery indicator bug - a special version of it with own custom theme support would be really nice :wink:

May 18, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #2,277 of 2,460
Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #2,278 of 2,460
I found this link that has the software for extracting the latest firmware and modding.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shanling-daps-user-theme.866314/
That is really cool - thank you very much :ok_hand:!

When you unpack the firmware you can see that it seem to be based on Linux and even contains a ssh-daemon!
Does anybody know more about it - especially how the starting process works and what's needed to connect via ssh and open a command shell on it?

That makes me think about some more hacking possibilities - e.g. use the Linux infrastructure on it to access the devices of the hardware
display (framebuffer?), audio device(s), bluetooth stack, ...

Did anybody already some more research work how this all works?

May 20, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #2,279 of 2,460
Guys help, I cannot extract the new 3.3 firmware rar file downloaded from Shanling though, it said the update.upt file is corrupted, tried to redownload it, same problem:

"! C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\M2s 3.30 Firmware file(?????).rar: CRC failed in M2s 3.30 Firmware file(¦¦+¦+²+¦¦nú¬\update.upt. The file is corrupt"

I'm noob btw.

May 20, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #2,280 of 2,460
I've been using this firmware for three days now. I have not experienced any error. (including card error, or battery depleted)
So that is good news!

Thanks for feedback!

Guys help, I cannot extract the new 3.3 firmware rar file downloaded from Shanling though, it said the update.upt file is corrupted, tried to redownload it, same problem:

"! C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\M2s 3.30 Firmware file(?????).rar: CRC failed in M2s 3.30 Firmware file(¦¦+¦+²+¦¦nú¬\update.upt. The file is corrupt"

I'm noob btw.

Please try to download both version from our website and from Google drive, to see if both has the same problem.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back