Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #1,246 of 2,460
You help me a lot and thank you!!!
So, you prefer, at this moment, a less warm sound! I listen to alt rock, indie, instrumental post rock, songwriting (acoustic most of all), some classical (piano). It's easy tell you what I DON'T listen to ahaha: Hip-Pop and Rap!
First of all, i want an immersive experience when i listen to music...not talking about the high volume, but something of visceral and deeper. Don't know if i prefer a warmer or colder sound at this moment.
Second, I would like to have something detailed: playing guitar and singing, i'd like to listen to as more details as possible in a song that i have to "study" for the band practice in my garage.

Well you could still call the M2s warmish, it's not cold or analytical by any means, I just think the N3 has a bit deeper sub bass and a bit fuller sound making the M2s sound a hair clearer to me. Detail wise you're not going to have a problem with the M2s, and those genres of music will sound really good. As I said they all sound good, it's just minor differences, some say the N3 has better treble and mids- I didn't hear much difference at all and I prefered the treble presentation on the M2s myself.

I would just get the one that appeals to you because the sonic differences are small, I liked the tiny size of the m2s and the build quality and the straight forward UI and control functions. The only one I would shy away from is the A-35 unless you're going to use iems or easy to drive cans because of the weak output.

And as Theo said you can always hook up something like mojo or iDSD down the road if you want really detailed sound. I use mojo with M2s and it sounds pretty amazing.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #1,247 of 2,460
Surely interested to a "stand alone" source!!! About the 9 hours of continued play declared by Shanling, you think that's a real estimate (with FLAC files and 32 ohms earbuds, train ambient)? have you some issues with the battery?

thank you again!

ferdi

dbaldock9 confirmed 9.5 hours on a single chrage, that sounds about right and the unit charges fast with a phone or tablet wall charger. ↓

Found out yesterday just how long the M2S will run on a full battery charge - ~9.5 hours.
A little after 10:00, I connected my Vido earbuds, dropped my M2S in a shirt pocket, and listened to Jazz at low to moderate volume levels - until the DAP shut down from low battery at ~19:25.
I was using HiBy Link to my Nexus 5 phone, so the M2S's Bluetooth was on, but the screen was off, throughout the day.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #1,248 of 2,460
Well you could still call the M2s warmish, it's not cold or analytical by any means, I just think the N3 has a bit deeper sub bass and a bit fuller sound making the M2s sound a hair clearer to me. Detail wise you're not going to have a problem with the M2s, and those genres of music will sound really good. As I said they all sound good, it's just minor differences, some say the N3 has better treble and mids- I didn't hear much difference at all and I prefered the treble presentation on the M2s myself.

I would just get the one that appeals to you because the sonic differences are small, I liked the tiny size of the m2s and the build quality and the straight forward UI and control functions. The only one I would shy away from is the A-35 unless you're going to use iems or easy to drive cans because of the weak output.

Thaaaanks, really!
I have, right now, a pair of Superlux HD 681 Evo, some IEMs (Sound Magic e10 and BD Byron), Apple Earbuds. I've bought a pair of IEMs KZ KS5 and KS3 (advice in this forum) and wait for they arrive at home. I'll buy in the future some Bluetooth headphones, but in each of those situations, hardly I'd get a > 64 ohms headphone/IEMS, cause I'd use the DAP most of the time on-the-road (metro-bus-train-flight etc...).

If you tell me that the sound quality is comparable between sony and shanling, i'd get the sony only for the better battery. But if the comparison is more like a smartphone (Sony) vs a real DAP (cayin/shanling), so i'd get the Shanling. Maybe i'm wrong, but the Sony one gives me the feeling of something "commercial" and "toy-like", of "not expressly designed for high-level listening". Sorry if i can't make me understandable!

Thank you
ferdi

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #1,250 of 2,460
Thaaaanks, really!
I have, right now, a pair of Superlux HD 681 Evo, some IEMs (Sound Magic e10 and BD Byron), Apple Earbuds. I've bought a pair of IEMs KZ KS5 and KS3 (advice in this forum) and wait for they arrive at home. I'll buy in the future some Bluetooth headphones, but in each of those situations, hardly I'd get a > 64 ohms headphone/IEMS, cause I'd use the DAP most of the time on-the-road (metro-bus-train-flight etc...).

If you tell me that the sound quality is comparable between sony and shanling, i'd get the sony only for the better battery. But if the comparison is more like a smartphone (Sony) vs a real DAP (cayin/shanling), so i'd get the Shanling. Maybe i'm wrong, but the Sony one gives me the feeling of something "commercial" and "toy-like", of "not expressly designed for high-level listening". Sorry if i can't make me understandable!

Thank you
ferdi

No the sony sounds really good the soundstage is really nice and it has a full 3d sound quality. I still think the m2s and n3 have better detail and resolution but it's only really noticeable on high end iems and if you're looking for it :wink: The sony is really a nice unit, if you're not going to be using higher ohm cans or need a LO or easy digital out for amps and dacs I recommend the sony. The sony has nice layering too, so it's easy to pick out individual instruments and such. Lol I might pick up another one sometime myself because its just so Sony, and has that sony easygoing meaty sound Sig :)

Ok sorry back to M2s!!!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #1,251 of 2,460
No the sony sounds really good the soundstage is really nice and it has a full 3d sound quality. I still think the m2s and n3 have better detail and resolution but it's only really noticeable on high end iems and if you're looking for it :wink: The sony is really a nice unit, if you're not going to be using higher ohm cans or need a LO or easy digital out for amps and dacs I recommend the sony.

Thank you so much! Appreciate your help!!!

I'll let you know which one i'll buy... Aniway, if you will came here in Naples, have a coffee paid and a free tour of the city! :D

Ferdi

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,252 of 2,460
trying to use my M2S with Hugo 2 apt-x

is there no way to get the M2S to output line-level when using BT? i have “LO” chosen in the settings but the volume knob still affects the output

alternatively, what volume # setting would be good for line out?

sounds great though!

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #1,254 of 2,460
Hello everybody. I want to ask you something. The question is if anyone have notice that the unit get very heat expecially when playing hi res files (flac 24 bits). The m2s works fine always and have no lag but that over heating is worrying me.

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #1,255 of 2,460
Hello everybody. I want to ask you something. The question is if anyone have notice that the unit get very heat expecially when playing hi res files (flac 24 bits). The m2s works fine always and have no lag but that over heating is worrying me.

I've noticed some heat even with 44.1/16 files

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #1,258 of 2,460
My travel buddy :wink:
IMG_2018.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back