Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Apr 27, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #211 of 2,460
Looks like mine should be here tomorrow

Excellent, I can't wait to hear what you think. I think mine is going to take a while so I ordered a sony nw a35 to test while I'm waiting. Love the n3, but I do hit the wrong capacitive buttons quite a bit. I want a small easy to use dap.

Maybe I'll like the sony, or save up for ak 70, had ak junior but man it was SLOW to scroll. Still really excited for this one :)

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #212 of 2,460
Seems like everyone has to play this game, so here goes...

Guess what's in the box, lol :p

18216503_10212606778268759_4361371596685176224_o.jpg

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #213 of 2,460
Woot Woot, Shanling party at Nik's place

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #215 of 2,460
Seems like everyone has to play this game, so here goes...

Guess what's in the box, lol :p

18216503_10212606778268759_4361371596685176224_o.jpg

Um is it an Mp3 player of some sort? :) Just curious how long did it take to get to you? I'm still deciding weather to use aliexpress or wait for amazon to get them.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #216 of 2,460
Um is it an Mp3 player of some sort? :) Just curious how long did it take to get to you? I'm still deciding weather to use aliexpress or wait for amazon to get them.

I think it was two-day DHL delivery direct from Shanling HQ.

Unboxing + HW/FW overview video coming up as soon as its done uploading to YouTube!

Stay tuned...

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #217 of 2,460
I think it was two-day DHL delivery direct from Shanling HQ.

Unboxing + HW/FW overview video coming up as soon as its done uploading to YouTube!

Stay tuned...

Ha ha mine won't be nearly as fast with aliexpress, It said delivery guarenteed in 23 days. I'm anxiously awaiting your vid :) Oh I remembered my password from my original account.

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #218 of 2,460
First listen is going well. Trying it out with iBasso IT03 + the Linum Super BaX cable I have on loan. I chose that because it's a triple hybrid which might point out some glaring issue's with M2s's higher than typical output impedance. Chose Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album. Sounds pretty much like the IT03. M2s might be accentuating the low end (including lower mids) and treble a bit. Hard to tell if it's just a sound signature thing or if it's the higher than typical output impedance. More to come...

Oh yeah, so far I haven't had any issues with the scroll knob thingie. I've overshot a few times, but I think that's more me getting used to it than anything. Of course time will tell. I can tell you it's far, far better than the issues we old-timers had with the original FiiO X5 scroll wheel, lol!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #219 of 2,460
First listen is going well. Trying it out with iBasso IT03 + the Linum Super BaX cable I have on loan. I chose that because it's a triple hybrid which might point out some glaring issue's with M2s's higher than typical output impedance. Chose Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album. Sounds pretty much like the IT03. M2s might be accentuating the low end (including lower mids) and treble a bit. Hard to tell if it's just a sound signature thing or if it's the higher than typical output impedance. More to come...

Oh yeah, so far I haven't had any issues with the scroll knob thingie. I've overshot a few times, but I think that's more me getting used to it than anything. Of course time will tell. I can tell you it's far, far better than the issues we old-timers had with the original FiiO X5 scroll wheel, lol!

Now I'm excited, the scroll wheel was what I personally worried about. Any quick thoughts on build quality or comparison sound wise to n3? I'm checking out the nw a35 because I really do have a bit of trouble with the n3's capacitive buttons (big fingers), but I really don't think the sony will sound as good. The shanling may be easier to use for me. Cant edit my dumb sig on my other account so i'll use this one lol.

Oh and good to know about that the IT03 sounding like itself.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #220 of 2,460
Now I'm excited, the scroll wheel was what I personally worried about. Any quick thoughts on build quality or comparison sound wise to n3? I'm checking out the nw a35 because I really do have a bit of trouble with the n3's capacitive buttons (big fingers), but I really don't think the sony will sound as good. The shanling may be easier to use for me. Cant edit my dumb sig on my other account so i'll use this one lol.

Don't tell Andy, but the M2s feel more solid, probably due to aluminum frame and glass front & back. I'd honestly prefer that M2s had an aluminum back, though. More durable than glass back, which pretty much ensures you'd want the case. N3 doesn't really need the case because it's got the nice textured pleather type back.

M2s side buttons are okay. Probably a step above the more plasticky buttons on the N3, but I actually think I prefer the buttons on the Shanling M1 over both M2s and N3.

I need to use the control knob more to see if I prefer it to the control wheel the other Shanling DAPs have, but so far I think most people will prefer it. Scrolls quickly and has been pretty accurate so far. The downside is that there are no dedicated volume buttons, so if you need to control volume while in the menus you'll need to return to the now playing screen.

GUI will be very similar between N3 and M2s, since both were developed by Hiby. I'm very familiar with both Cayin and Shanling GUI, so both are pretty easy for me to navigate. That said, I give Shanling a slight nod in the GUI department for various minute details. I should probably chat with Cayin about that...

Regarding sound, it's too early to tell. Still getting to know M2s. My gut tells me the N3 will be the more neutral/reference type sound, whereas M2s will be a more full, smooth, musical type sound. Need more time, though!

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #221 of 2,460
Don't tell Andy, but the M2s feel more solid, probably due to aluminum frame and glass front & back. I'd honestly prefer that M2s had an aluminum back, though. More durable than glass back, which pretty much ensures you'd want the case. N3 doesn't really need the case because it's got the nice textured pleather type back.

M2s side buttons are okay. Probably a step above the more plasticky buttons on the N3, but I actually think I prefer the buttons on the Shanling M1 over both M2s and N3.

I need to use the control knob more to see if I prefer it to the control wheel the other Shanling DAPs have, but so far I think most people will prefer it. Scrolls quickly and has been pretty accurate so far. The downside is that there are no dedicated volume buttons, so if you need to control volume while in the menus you'll need to return to the now playing screen.

GUI will be very similar between N3 and M2s, since both were developed by Hiby. I'm very familiar with both Cayin and Shanling GUI, so both are pretty easy for me to navigate. That said, I give Shanling a slight nod in the GUI department for various minute details. I should probably chat with Cayin about that...

Regarding sound, it's too early to tell. Still getting to know M2s. My gut tells me the N3 will be the more neutral/reference type sound, whereas M2s will be a more full, smooth, musical type sound. Need more time, though!

Thank you sir! That sounds most promising. Yeah I took the screen cover off my n3 because I thought it might help make the buttons easier to hit. Well it survived a drop on the sidewalk, but ever day use is making hairline scratches on the plastic screen. Oh well I do love the sound of that thing, but I know I'm going to get this shanling too, just because it looks so cool, and of course you can never have enough daps. :wink: Oh didn't know you had the vid up that quick :) Congrats on being the first one on the tube. Watching it now, man you ripped the crap out of the outer box lol. Oh and Nik, if you don't like it I would gladly take it off your hands for say 30 bucks :) ha ha.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #224 of 2,460
Hmm I wonder if the glass is hardened? Seems like the screen protectors will be a must . Really a sharp looking little unit though. Dare I say smexy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back