Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Oct 23, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #1,786 of 2,460
Suggestions for the Music Player software interface should probably go to HiBy. @Joe Bloggs is a developer at HiBy, and may be able to provide some insight into UI changes that can be made.

Actually, I'd guess they should be run through Shanling. It's their DAP, so they must have final say on what features are added and how the user interface is laid out.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #1,787 of 2,460
HIBy may do the coding but I am sure Shanling has some input in terms of what is done for their units. Looks to me like a common code base is modified for each compatible unit that runs HiBy.

My biggest nitpick is the fact that the unit starts a small amount into the first song.

My autoresume on the M2S is much more reliable than on the M1. I think the deep sleep feature is better on the M2S and pretty much non operative or non existent on the M1 so resume functions differently.

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #1,788 of 2,460
I have just received my M2s!
So far I am loving it, anyhow is my first DAP so I am not an expert.I like the way it sounds and the way it feels.
On a side note, you people of this forum... you are young too young I have read a fair share of reviews and posts, and nobody complains about the size of the characters on the screen... quite small for my sight :)
I am having issues with the BT connection, I can connect my Android phone 6.0 only using the Hiby app and I am not able to connect my iPad 2, have you experienced similar issues?
I had another issues, but after reading all over the forum are solved.
This is my review :), full disclaimer: The M2s has been provided by my hard earn money :wink:
I received my m2s last week and am really enjoying it. I have been growing my desktop audio rig for the last year and a half, but this is my first DAP. I have a question regarding operation and have searched through some of this thread but not all 2000+ posts obviously without an answer.

When the m2s has been dormant for an extended period, such as overnight, it is very slow to start-up. Is this normal? How slow is normal?

For me, I press the power button, nothing, press and hold for 2 second, nothing, press and hold for 5 sec, nothing, repeat 2 sec hold, repeat 5 sec hold, repeat, wait, repeat repeat, wait, repeat, repeat, you get the idea... About a minute or so after the first press, the Shanling splash screen appears and everything works fine after that. Once it has been in use recently, and I need to press the power button for start up, the splash screen appears almost immediately.

I have 2.20 firmware installed and find no other issues in operation. Overall, I'm very happy, but this little quirk just seems strange. If it's normal, fine. If it's not, what can be done?

I'm happy owner of M2S and still impressed by the overall quality of this DAP. But I still see room for improvement. I'm 50+ so possibility to change characters size (enlarging) would be nice. On shiny days lcd is too dark, even at maximum brightness, and almost unreadable. Also, as someone mentioned here, I miss tittle of the album on the screen. And, finally, there is problem with the wheel - it should be less sensitive.
By the way I'm a newbie on this forum and would like to thank all members whose opinions helped me in choosing Shanling M1S and M2S as my first DAPs.

Oct 25, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #1,790 of 2,460
I read that the M2S sounds better than the M1.
Could you tell me why do you keep it then ?
For the form factor ?

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,791 of 2,460
FIrst of all,the M1 does not sound all that different than the M2S. It is a little less refined, has only 1/3 the power, and can't natively play DSD.
But it is really small and cute and has a great armband system for exercise.

Day to day the M1 has become my car unit. I play it through the auxiliary. And when I want it for the gym I keep the arm band in the car for that purpose.

The M2S is my home and business travel "go to unit". So they both have their place.

If I had to sell one it would be the M1; but since its probably not worth all that much at this point I would rather keep it.

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #1,792 of 2,460
Ok, that's good reasons to keep both :)

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,793 of 2,460
FIrst of all,the M1 does not sound all that different than the M2S. It is a little less refined, has only 1/3 the power, and can't natively play DSD.
But it is really small and cute and has a great armband system for exercise.

Day to day the M1 has become my car unit. I play it through the auxiliary. And when I want it for the gym I keep the arm band in the car for that purpose.

The M2S is my home and business travel "go to unit". So they both have their place.

If I had to sell one it would be the M1; but since its probably not worth all that much at this point I would rather keep it.

Using efficient earbuds, like the ToneKing TP16 helps with the lower powered devices. I've used a piece of Velcro through the armband loop, and hang my M1 from a badge lanyard.

DSC-171025-173026.jpg

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #1,796 of 2,460
\

Depending on how you hold it, I experienced that as well, but never eeally minded it.

I have also experienced this issue before but right after talking to @nmatheis about upgrading my M2s, I never encountered it since. I was afraid of bricking the M2s before thats why I wasnt able to upgrade it right away.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #1,797 of 2,460
I have also experienced this issue before but right after talking to @nmatheis about upgrading my M2s, I never encountered it since. I was afraid of bricking the M2s before thats why I wasnt able to upgrade it right away.

Glad to help you out, buddy!

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #1,798 of 2,460
Not much left to with the firmaware, just 3 issues to be adressed which are sorted by priority (as per mho) are:

1) Battery indicator
2) missing miliseconds at start of irst song playing
3) proper artwork resizing without cutting off parts

And somehow on my unit I don't get the auto resume to work, regardless which time I set. Not sure if that's a general issue.

And to pause playback when bluetooth is disconnected.
Every bluetooth source I've ever experienced pauses when the speaker is switched off except the M1 and this (and probably the M3s as well, at a guess).

Also is anybody else experiencing issues with ReplayGain? When on 'album' setting, because depending on the album, album gain is not being recognised. It's fine with 'track' setting. Do I simply need to re-scan ReplayGain off Foobar again? It was workng before...

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #1,799 of 2,460
So the other day, I posted about the button clicking having problems. Today when I was scrolling(normally) on the M2s, the button just fell off. I tried to put it back in and now it doesn't click....anyone have advice on how to proceed?
@Shanling could you help me?

I was loving this little thing as my first DAP and absolutely devastated when that happened.

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #1,800 of 2,460
So the other day, I posted about the button clicking having problems. Today when I was scrolling(normally) on the M2s, the button just fell off. I tried to put it back in and now it doesn't click....anyone have advice on how to proceed?
@Shanling could you help me?

I was loving this little thing as my first DAP and absolutely devastated when that happened.

is it still under warranty? if it is, have it serviced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back