Shanling M2
Dec 11, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #122 of 175
  ...its been a few days since I mailed the M2 off, and I have been thinking a little about what I want to write up about it. What strikes me most is how smooth, but un-stuffy (if that makes sense) it sounded. I et the same sense from my Pono, but not with a harder edge. The M2 was almost the next step forward in that sound signature...

Hmmm....going to be difficult to describe this adequately. More to come over the weekend I think. Also been insanely busy at the office.

Well vlenbo may have it by now so I'm really getting excited
bigsmile_face.gif

So for those who have heard both how does it do compared to the N5? Inquiring minds want to know
beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #124 of 175
OK, I do like the look of the M2, hoping that wheel does not easily turn being out on that corner though! Of course when the package arrives I'm going to be like Eek-A-Mouse
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #125 of 175
...review with thoughts and feelings bared for all here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shanling-m2-hifi-portable-lossless-musicl-player-dsd-player/reviews/14749

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #127 of 175
  ...review with thoughts and feelings bared for all here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shanling-m2-hifi-portable-lossless-musicl-player-dsd-player/reviews/14749

THX Fleas, my primary home listening is also vinyl
bigsmile_face.gif
I never got on the Pono wagon but glad to hear the M2 is analog sounding, looking forward to it now for sure! Enjoyed your review
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #128 of 175
THX Fleas, my primary home listening is also vinyl:bigsmile_face: I never got on the Pono wagon but glad to hear the M2 is analog sounding, looking forward to it now for sure! Enjoyed your review:wink_face:

:beerchug:

Thanks...glad it was a decent read :)

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #130 of 175
My Shanlng M2 review is here 

http://www.tellementnomade.org/preview-shanling-m2-en-toute-transparence/

If you can read the french language that's ok, if you can't Google Translation will be your friend 
beerchug.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #133 of 175
@vlenbo: Please let us know what you thought of M2 and move it on to @Podster.
beerchug.gif

I'm sorry for not responding soon enough!

I'm finally feeling pumped enough to at least write a semi-deep impressionist post of the shanling m2 player.

First, I did not expect to even be invited to the tour, so I wish to thank you profusely. Second, before even committing myself to enacting some light research on the product, I expected this player to be a reasonably priced product. To be honest, I thought (by appearance and ui) that this player did not deserve the $250 price tag. After navigating my way around the player, I realized that this is a pretty intuitive device with little to no lag at all!

Another major thing is the sound that comes from this player. It's truly glorious, or at least it would have been had I the time necessary to use it. Thankfully, I spent enough time with the player to realize the immaculate sound that this portable (seriously, its more portable than the cayin n5, but that's no offense to the compared player as it is amazing as well) player can depict sound pretty naturally. 

Naturally in my definition is where none of the sound spectrum is emphasized, meaning, a lack of peaks and dips are present within the flavor of the sound in this player. So far so good. The sound is smooth, but not exactly warm either. I'd have to describe the player as an analytically lite player, as sometimes the sound has the potential to sound analytical, but it never quite reaches there. It's seriously analogous sounding as the Cayin N5 (to me), while sounding warmer, sounds a bit more analytical in its sound, just slightly more as the sound is a bit more crisper.

The sound from the Cayin N5 sounds thicker which provides the weight to the sound that is necessary to create an immersive soundstage. The detail from this thick sound, at least to me, produces an illusion of a somewhat analytical sound. If the sound was a bit thinner while keeping the warmth, it'd sound closer to the m2's sound signature. 

The bass that both players produce is pretty tight, I cannot tell much of a difference between the two other than the shanling's being a bit less in quantity, but also pretty great in quality, while the Cayin sounds a bit more full, and somewhat slow. The mids are equal for both, except that the m2's sounds different in presentation.

The soundstage of the M2 sounds distant, or as nmathesis stated in his review, "like you're in the audience", which is mostly true. I initially hated this presentation as the player deceptively lacked the power to portray the detail of the imagery presented in music by various artists such as Pogo, Aerosmith, Steely Dan, and some J-Pop artists. After a few hours, I realize that the sound is just a bit distant, but in return, the height and depth of music sounded surreal, and the bass, mids, and treble detail became on par with the cayin n5.

An analogy that I'd use for both players will be mostly explained in my review. A quick synopsis of said analogy is simple. The Cayin N5 player almost portrays itself as a juice product, as it produces ear candy quality to your hearts content, but you always feel thirsty (as juice normally causes the person to behave with liquids). The shanling m2's sound, however, may represent the water that people drink in order to quench said thirst.

This is as far as my impressions go so far. I will refine this post later, but for now, here you go!

Thanks again nmathesis!!!! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back