Shanling M2 DAP
Feb 23, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #1,216 of 1,348
Beauty small dap :kissing_heart:
16904701_1316210931806716_3851764714752176160_o.jpg

a shozy?

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,218 of 1,348
If anyone is moving on up to M5 etc, and has a black M2 for sale, fire me over a PM....

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #1,219 of 1,348
  Wow!!!

Got my M2... I am floored!!  Much better than I expected, specially at this price.  

It draws me to me music.  I'm having a hard time analyzing it... just go back to enjoying the music. :)  

Awesome synergy with the Sony MA900!

Enjoy the M2.  In my view, this unit breaks all the rules.   It holds its own with much more expensive units.  I would go so far to say that this unit represents "entry level": audiophile.  I have heard very good units at this price point; but not exceptional.  This unit is exceptional in my view.

Now whatever you do don't try this out with the FLC8S.  Your wallet will never be the same.

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #1,220 of 1,348

Wow!!!

Got my M2... I am floored!!  Much better than I expected, specially at this price.  

It draws me to me music.  I'm having a hard time analyzing it... just go back to enjoying the music. :)  

Awesome synergy with the Sony MA900!

Enjoy the M2.  In my view, this unit breaks all the rules.   It holds its own with much more expensive units.  I would go so far to say that this unit represents "entry level": audiophile.  I have heard very good units at this price point; but not exceptional.  This unit is exceptional in my view.

Now whatever you do don't try this out with the FLC8S.  Your wallet will never be the same.

Dude!!!  Don't tell me these things... :)

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #1,221 of 1,348
Dude!!!  Don't tell me these things... :)

it's an official statement. I tried the combo myself. it's vivid. imagine picturing one whole stage of presentation, then add another layered stage. holographic and seamless. such details just flow and you just pick away at it like some hawk with clear vision. Vocals...well...that's where it's at with the FLC8s.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #1,222 of 1,348
Does anybody have success in sending DSD files to the M2 unit in DAC mode?  All I seem to get is "diginoise".   I can use the same Shanling Windows driver with the UP and can send DSD files after some serious monkeying around with JRiver.  But those same settings do not work with the M2.

Also, anybody know why the version of the Windows driver is 2.x for Shanling but 3.x for FIIO ?  It is the same german vendor (Thesycon or something like that).  At least the Shanling and FIIO drivers are signed.  At one time in FIIO land the Windows driver was not signed and took quite a bit or work to install.

Mac users; please refrain from telling me how superior the Mac is for music files.  I already know that.   That said, I bet you can't send DSD files via the Mac either.  But if you can....that is a good sign the problem is in software not hardware.

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,223 of 1,348
I don't know if someone in E.U. is interested in M2 but I'm currently selling mine due to DAP upgrade.

Anyone with some interest can PM me:

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #1,226 of 1,348
Very portable. Just need getting used to scroll/wheel. Very handy and relative user friendly.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #1,228 of 1,348
Anybody using this with the LZ-A4?    I love the M2 with the FLC8S but I have this problem with toys.....

ask Lohb - iirc, he should get his shortly. I auditioned this and the M3 last year. Fell in love with the Shanling house sound. I reckon you get more mids in general, give the bass a slight back seat. The M2 will provide strong rich details especially in the upper mids though the the lateral width might take a little blow.

curious on you a4 impressions if you do pair them up.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #1,229 of 1,348
Hi does this player do real dsd?

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #1,230 of 1,348
Hi does this player do real dsd?

Yes, it natively processes DSD files.  There are different levels of DSD nowadays.  I have only extacted DSD files from older SACD rips using ISO2DSD (think that is the name) and a few with JRiver.  Those are less complicated DSD files; I think they are are called something like DSD64.   You would have to go to the Shanling Website to get the full specs of what flavors of DSD are supported.  I do not think the unit can natively play ISO SACD files however (for example the FIIO X3 II can do that).  Sometimes I have encountered track change related noises when playing individual DSD files; the ISO approach avoids that.

Native processing is "real" DSD and the M2 can do that.

Many units on the market just transcode DSD to PCM on the fly,.  Frankly many of us would never know the difference when using on the fly units, an example is the M1.   Or the original FIIO X3.

That on the fly conversion does make is somewhat silly to put the huge DSD files onto the valuable microSDXC storage space when a file that is 1/3 the size would end up being processed by the unit the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back