Shanling M1s - Ideal Compact Portable Player
Dec 1, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #77 of 938
So it's December and we still have zero info about the device?
If I was a suspicious person I might think Shanling made the early announcement about its pending release to get people to hold off buying another DAP during Black Friday and the coming December deals. I likely won't bite for severalmonths while I wait to read some reviews and the likely firmware updates to come. I got burned buying the M0 on first release and it was an agonizingly long wait for firmware updates and the Q1 was only slightly better in this regard. Shanling has so many new android DAP's and just recently released models not sure how much love the M1S and M0 Pro will get early on on the software side.

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #78 of 938
Well especially strange since
They were supposed to launch this month. They still could but you'd think there'd be more info by now. I'll probably check it out because I've owned every small dap known to man and why stop now. Still want to see specs, especially dimensions.

And yes there were great black Friday deals on both hidizs ap80 pro X and hiby R3 saber 2022 model. 😉 But probably just issues in supply chain or something. M touch software is pretty mature so I wouldn't sweat that.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #79 of 938
Well especially strange since
They were supposed to launch this month. They still could but you'd think there'd be more info by now. I'll probably check it out because I've owned every small dap known to man and why stop now. Still want to see specs, especially dimensions.

And yes there were great black Friday deals on both hidizs ap80 pro X and hiby R3 saber 2022 model. 😉 But probably just issues in supply chain or something. M touch software is pretty mature so I wouldn't sweat that.
I know MTouch is from M5S and not Q1 so it better be better than on the Q1. The special characters issue is still there I am sure cause if they haven't fixed it on android DAP's doubt they will on the MTouch. I would totally get one if I hadn't already got the A55 and modded firmware. Funny thing is if Shanling had indicated it was coming sooner I probably wouldn't have gotten the A55. I waited a year to get the Q1 so I am willing to wait awhile and see what reviews are for the M1S.

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #80 of 938
So it's December and we still have zero info about the device?
Current estimation is around the end of December for M1S. The M0 Pro got prioritized on assembly and will be coming out first.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 2, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #81 of 938
I know MTouch is from M5S and not Q1 so it better be better than on the Q1. The special characters issue is still there I am sure cause if they haven't fixed it on android DAP's doubt they will on the MTouch. I would totally get one if I hadn't already got the A55 and modded firmware. Funny thing is if Shanling had indicated it was coming sooner I probably wouldn't have gotten the A55. I waited a year to get the Q1 so I am willing to wait awhile and see what reviews are for the M1S.

I didn't like the weight or the screen on the Q1 so I can't really remember what the UI was like- didn't have it long. But I do remember I liked the m2s and m5s UI. But I don't even think I used tidal on the m5s, and it was a bit too big. I still think the screen and front facing buttons will be weird but I'll give it a go, probably. I guess questions will be answered in January.

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #82 of 938
I didn't like the weight or the screen on the Q1 so I can't really remember what the UI was like- didn't have it long. But I do remember I liked the m2s and m5s UI. But I don't even think I used tidal on the m5s, and it was a bit too big. I still think the screen and front facing buttons will be weird but I'll give it a go, probably. I guess questions will be answered in January.
I haven't used my Q1 since I bought my A55 so I decided to turn it on and charge it. Also to remind myself about some of its shortcomings, like the large font used on the playback for track names, with no long track name scrolling to much of the track name was cut off. The other was the Play List screen which only showed the track name and not the artist. I found this frustrating as I have alot of standards covered by multiple artists and I could never tell which artist would be played next.

The Q1 used the ancient Ingenics X1000 process like many non-android DAP's. I have to wonder how much this affected what Shanling could do with the OS? With the X2000 in the M1S hopefully the software can go to the next level.

I am really interested to see what kind of battery life it will get. The ESS DAC's that Shanling chose are pretty power hungry. The one thing that turns me off about the Hidizs AP80 Pro-X is the meager batter life at 11 hours single ended. How big a battery is Shanling going to be able to put into such a small DAP, especially with everything else they are cramming into it. The big pluses for the Q1 are the 20+ hours of battery life and the decent amount of power it offers and of course the very good sound quality.

I am getting roughly 18 to 20 hours from the A55 with the custom firmware. Not sure I want to settle for less than that for the M1S especially if it is going to cost as much as I think it will.

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #83 of 938
I haven't used my Q1 since I bought my A55 so I decided to turn it on and charge it. Also to remind myself about some of its shortcomings, like the large font used on the playback for track names, with no long track name scrolling to much of the track name was cut off. The other was the Play List screen which only showed the track name and not the artist. I found this frustrating as I have alot of standards covered by multiple artists and I could never tell which artist would be played next.

The Q1 used the ancient Ingenics X1000 process like many non-android DAP's. I have to wonder how much this affected what Shanling could do with the OS? With the X2000 in the M1S hopefully the software can go to the next level.

I am really interested to see what kind of battery life it will get. The ESS DAC's that Shanling chose are pretty power hungry. The one thing that turns me off about the Hidizs AP80 Pro-X is the meager batter life at 11 hours single ended. How big a battery is Shanling going to be able to put into such a small DAP, especially with everything else they are cramming into it. The big pluses for the Q1 are the 20+ hours of battery life and the decent amount of power it offers and of course the very good sound quality.

I am getting roughly 18 to 20 hours from the A55 with the custom firmware. Not sure I want to settle for less than that for the M1S especially if it is going to cost as much as I think it will.

Yep the screen resolution on the Q1 wasn't great either. The pro X has normal battery life for a tiny dap, but with the small cell it charges in less than an hour with a good higher amp charger. But yes I'm not expecting big battery life numbers on the m1s. Although it surely will have a bigger cell than pro X, and the hiby R3 saber got excellent battery life with the bigger size. X2000 I think should be very efficient. Hopefully we'll know more soon, even if it's not in production- surely Shanling knows the main specs like battery life. The a55 is a nice unit if you don't need much power or dont have really sensitive iems. Was a fan of nw 105 but the battery life on that thing streaming is awful.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #84 of 938
Yep the screen resolution on the Q1 wasn't great either. The pro X has normal battery life for a tiny dap, but with the small cell it charges in less than an hour with a good higher amp charger. But yes I'm not expecting big battery life numbers on the m1s. Although it surely will have a bigger cell than pro X, and the hiby R3 saber got excellent battery life with the bigger size. X2000 I think should be very efficient. Hopefully we'll know more soon, even if it's not in production- surely Shanling knows the main specs like battery life. The a55 is a nice unit if you don't need much power or dont have really sensitive iems. Was a fan of nw 105 but the battery life on that thing streaming is awful.
Yes it is decent for a small DAP, I was spoiled by the Q1 battery life and even the M0 got like 17 hours. The AP80 Pro-X is going for $240+ in Canada and that is alot for a small DAP. To pay 2.4x what I paid for the Q1 for basically half the battery life is a bit of a stretch, feature wise it doesn't add much over the Q1 either. While not the best user experience the Q1 is still pretty darn good DAP for the $100 I paid for it. Just not sure the AP80 Pro-X is worth the big price difference. It would be nice to be able to demo one and compare it to the Q1 to see if the price difference is justified. The M0 Pro would have been worth considering if the screen wasn't so dang small

Funny you mention the lack of power of the A55, when listening to the Q1 I typically had volume at 72/73 out of 100 (around 72% max volume). With the A55 I listen at 76/77 out of 120 (64% max volume). Even though the Q1 is rated at 2x the power of the A55. So I guess power numbers alone don't tell the full story. Sony's Class D amp design is more efficient and loses less power to heat than traditional Class A and AB amps. I got a long tutorial about this from a Sony rep when I use to sell audio gear. You really have to look at Sony DAP's differently when it comes to power measurements. Luckily all of the headphones I use for my DAP's are very easy to drive. I actually just picked up a pair of NAD Viso HP30's for $49 CDN and will use them for traveling and keep my HP 50's for home DAP listening. The HP30's being on ear and foldable are so much more portable and sound almost as good as the HP50's.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #85 of 938
Yes it is decent for a small DAP, I was spoiled by the Q1 battery life and even the M0 got like 17 hours. The AP80 Pro-X is going for $240+ in Canada and that is alot for a small DAP. To pay 2.4x what I paid for the Q1 for basically half the battery life is a bit of a stretch, feature wise it doesn't add much over the Q1 either. While not the best user experience the Q1 is still pretty darn good DAP for the $100 I paid for it. Just not sure the AP80 Pro-X is worth the big price difference. It would be nice to be able to demo one and compare it to the Q1 to see if the price difference is justified. The M0 Pro would have been worth considering is the screen wasn't so dang small

I got mine for about 140 dollars. They had a sale for 169 and then I got them to take off another 15%. I'd say that's a pretty fair price. I wouldn't have paid full price, at that time you could get the r3 saber for a bit more on sale. That was a better value, I just liked the smaller hidizs- it looks cool in blue.

Who knows you might be able to get m1s for not much more. I assume you're talking about Canadian dollars. I'm also assuming m1s is going to sound a bit better than the other small daps. All speculation at this point. I'm with you on M0 pro- cool but screen will be too small for me.

Oh, and how did I get the extra discount? I asked them for it 😉 now I have bought several other hidizs products previously, and I like their stuff. So you can call it a fan discount or customer appreciation discount. Some of these Chinese companies are pretty accommodating. I asked fiio for a battery after the warranty on my dap expired - 2 years and they shipped me one free of charge.

Very nice of them.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #87 of 938
I got mine for about 140 dollars. They had a sale for 169 and then I got them to take off another 15%. I'd say that's a pretty fair price. I wouldn't have paid full price, at that time you could get the r3 saber for a bit more on sale. That was a better value, I just liked the smaller hidizs- it looks cool in blue.

Who knows you might be able to get m1s for not much more. I assume you're talking about Canadian dollars. I'm also assuming m1s is going to sound a bit better than the other small daps. All speculation at this point. I'm with you on M0 pro- cool but screen will be too small for me.

Oh, and how did I get the extra discount? I asked them for it 😉 now I have bought several other hidizs products previously, and I like their stuff. So you can call it a fan discount or customer appreciation discount. Some of these Chinese companies are pretty accommodating. I asked fiio for a battery after the warranty on my dap expired - 2 years and they shipped me one free of charge.

Very nice of them.
Yes that price was Canadian and about the same price on aliexpress shipping to Canada so no deal at least at the moment. Not that I was looking to pull the trigger right now anyway. I am in wait and see mode now as I wait impatiently for all my interesting DAP's to all be available to compare and read reviews. I am still a little hesitant on importing DAP's when I have no previous experience with the manufacturer.

Dec 3, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #88 of 938
Sorry guys, we're just rambling on here. I'd love some more info Shanling. 😉
At my age rambling is pretty much standard behaviour, my brain and my mouth get more disconnected with each passing year.:L3000: You can also blame Shanling a little for all the rambling as all we can do is wonder and speculate at this point.

Dec 3, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #89 of 938
Yes I love to ramble myself, obviously. And yes speculation is all we have at this point. I'm still waiting for the R4 from hiby, but they might be done with small daps. Or R3 v 2.0. I forget the Chinese don't like to use certain numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back