Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Feb 27, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #2,386 of 3,480

USB-C port is a big deal for me, I Plugged in my Samsung Hard disk via a USB-C to USB-C Cable and it worked perfectly, Played all my DSD files through the hard disk very fast with no lag whatsoever. I was Pleasantly surprised. I think herein lies the only discernible difference vs the AP60, which has a micro-usb port. I think the C port has much faster data transfer speed and versatility compared to the micro. Other than that, I like the scroll wheel, which makes it easier to toggle volume quickly while listening and to play and pause, as a whole, the interface is very intuitive. The reason I didn't go for AP60 was that having to click down the entire song list and clicking + or - to change volume seems like a chore (But the again this offers more control ability for those who want it). Also the screen, from almost every picture I've seen of the hidisz, has awful viewing angles. but I can't really confirm this since I haven't used it. The M1 does have a slightly larger screen 2.35in vs 2.0 inch whilst having much smaller overall size. But other than that they're almost identical. 

So I guess it is possible to plug in an external harddisk, and use the M1 as a Bluetooth transmitter to Bluetooth speakers? Or even, connect the M1 to a Bluetooth receiver connected to some other speakers to play music on the M1?

theoretically, yes, I don't see why not.

Edit : Just tried it, Works like a charm. Streams Almost all formats including Flac and MP3. with the exception of DSD obviously, DSD over bluetooth is not supported. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #2,388 of 3,480
Here we go again with assumptions about things we don't know anything about..... or will you surprise us by actually having heard both and give some details on how you think they compare?

You're the one that likes to be a jerk. I mentioned a comment about someone who is on this forum and what they have personally said. Am I not allowed make a comment about what someone who has owned the product has said? If so, I'm out of this forum, that would be a bad joke in itself.

PS: I don't need this forum in my life, but it needs all of us in it.

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #2,389 of 3,480
theoretically, yes, I don't see why not.

Edit : Just tried it, Works like a charm. Streams Almost all formats including Flac and MP3. with the exception of DSD obviously, DSD over bluetooth is not supported. 

Wow cool....I think that will be very convenient. That puts a tick for the M1. I am still thinking whether to consider the Benjie T6, which sadly is still not available and little impressions have been made.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #2,390 of 3,480
RE:  The comment about streaming DSD files from a hard drive to the M1.  Keep in mind the M1 (which is a very cool machine, please do not get me wrong) simply does not natively decode DSD.  It converts the files to PCM on the fly.  So you can save a ton of disc space and just keep 24 - 88  conversions of your DSD filew.  FOOBAR is you friend for the conversions in the Windows world.  The ratio of disc space for a given file is about 3:1 for DSD vs. 24 - 88 FLAC.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #2,391 of 3,480
I have been unable to access any of Shanlings websites so could someone please post the number of the latest firmware?

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #2,393 of 3,480
  RE:  The comment about streaming DSD files from a hard drive to the M1.  Keep in mind the M1 (which is a very cool machine, please do not get me wrong) simply does not natively decode DSD.  It converts the files to PCM on the fly.  So you can save a ton of disc space and just keep 24 - 88  conversions of your DSD filew.  FOOBAR is you friend for the conversions in the Windows world.  The ratio of disc space for a given file is about 3:1 for DSD vs. 24 - 88 FLAC.

although it does convert DSD to PCM when listening to it directly. It does a good job of sending the DSD files to the mojo when used as a transport which picks up DSD 128/256 just fine. but I get your point, makes sense to convert the files to a more friendly format. the actual difference while listening is barely discernible 

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #2,394 of 3,480

although it does convert DSD to PCM when listening to it directly. It does a good job of sending the DSD files to the mojo when used as a transport which picks up DSD 128/256 just fine. but I get your point, makes sense to convert the files to a more friendly format. the actual difference while listening is barely discernible 

True that; when used as a transport you can ignore my caveats.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #2,395 of 3,480
Hi all. I am planning to buy the M1 and I have a question.

I usually listen on speakers during the day. I have Edifier r2000db speakers and although it has a built-in bluetooth, I think it will eat a lot of battery juice. So is it OK to plug the speakers directly to the headphone out on the M1? Do you think it's safe on both unit and will it have a descent sound?

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #2,396 of 3,480
Feb 28, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #2,400 of 3,480
It works for me using Chrome browser.

I am also using Chome. Don't know what is going on here. All I want to find out is the number of the latest firmware update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back