Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Oct 29, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,036 of 3,480
  @ClieOS Is the digital volume adjustable on M1 when using it as a transport?

Depends on the USB receiver chip's setting on the DAC/amp. As far as I can tell, M1's digital volume works on HA-2 (which we do know will allow digital volume control on source, as part of its design), but has no effect on Mojo or micro iDSD.

You not got a choke on your USB cable?

Don't see the point, especially at this length,

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #1,037 of 3,480

Depends on the USB receiver chip's setting on the DAC/amp. As far as I can tell, M1's digital volume works on HA-2 (which we do know will allow digital volume control on source, as part of its design), but has no effect on Mojo or micro iDSD.

Interesting. The Tralucent DAC does allow this on the sources I use, phones, tablets etc. Sounds like it should be ok.

I'm kind of torn though because while M1 is really cool, super new, tiny and transportable popcorn fantastic it would only be used around the house. In this case I can pick up another Galaxy S4 with a bigger screen cheaper.

Damn you Head-fi and your chocolate temptations.

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #1,039 of 3,480
Interesting. The Tralucent DAC does allow this on the sources I use, phones, tablets etc. Sounds like it should be ok.

I'm kind of torn though because while M1 is really cool, super new, tiny and transportable popcorn fantastic it would only be used around the house. In this case I can pick up another Galaxy S4 with a bigger screen cheaper.

Damn you Head-fi and your chocolate temptations.

Seems like the S4 might be a better option for home use not only for the larger screen but also for touchscreen, apps, and wifi.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #1,040 of 3,480
Current fw seems fine for me so far. When upgrading, I did notice that it has a different file extension than other Shanling (and by extension, Cayin and FiiO) fw. Haven't tried unpacking it, though.

Ha ha, exactly. Man do I miss that, NOT
wink.gif

Seeing as how Fiio jumped ship to Linux on the new X1 (iirc) I was just wondering if Shanling might have done the same thing. FWIW, seems the new X1 is horribly buggy

Oct 29, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,042 of 3,480

Seeing as how Fiio jumped ship to Linux on the new X1 (iirc) I was just wondering if Shanling might have done the same thing. FWIW, seems the new X1 is horribly buggy

From appearance alone, it looks like exactly the same fw used on M2 and M5, but the fw file extension is different.

It appears to be linux: https://my.mixtape.moe/jxjsve  (look near the bottom)
They (X1 II and M1) might not be the same base though (unlike other times). The M1 probably just use Linux because of the new SoC.

EDIT: Or maybe not. I'm confused.

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #1,050 of 3,480
Interesting thoughts on the Linux angle.  When I had the FIIO X7 in for tour, I thought the sound quality was good but at that stage the software was truly buggy.  I have not been following the X1 II at all but I have the sense from comments in this thread that it is buggy also.  The only DAP that I every truly did not like was my original X1 so I am a bit leery of anything with that model designation.

My X3 II is very solid.  The Shanling M2 is fairly solid but I still wig it out from time to time when doing USB file transfers.  But it is super easy to reset it so its no big deal.  And I love the sound of the M2.  I like the FIIO also but it upper end does not have the same clarity effect. 

Given that one vendor at Ali Express seems to have an elaborate workaround to get the M1 price down to $110 or so I am just waiting for the general price to drop. 

When Gemini has the M1 on Amazon at a good price I will likely bite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back