Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jan 7, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #4,261 of 6,418
Support for audiobooks/podcasts which involves having to create a user interface might be quite some work, but ReplayGain should be fairly easy.
Hey!! Don't discourage Shanling from implementing audiobooks / podcasts :wink:

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #4,262 of 6,418
Try in this order:
Reset hole next to card slot
Connect it to computer
Try to turn it on with card removed
Send it back to seller for warranty (maybe it's simply failure of screen, one of the cables connecting it or some chip)
Well, same here... I just received my ordered M0. When the device is powered on, I'm welcome with a white blank screen. I followed suggested actions with no result. I just contacted the seller (Cafago, seems to be related to Tomtop).

I notice too the screen is uneven, quite similar to LCD panel clouding issue: clearer and darker zones. Not easy to have nice shots highlighting this:
IMG_20190107_134231_cr.jpg
IMG_20190107_134231_cr_mod.jpg

And finally, the finish of the frame surrounding the screen is not regular. It's mostly noticeable on following shot (when displayed at full size) on top, right and left sides:
IMG_20190107_132522_cr_red.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #4,263 of 6,418
Hi everyone, it has been quite a few years since I visit and post on Head Fi. Heck I may be posting in the wrong place for all I know. Basically I found my self in need of either replacing the battery of an old iPod version 5.5 which I had modified by installing a 240 GB hard drive ages ago or buying a new cheap DAP. Thus I ended getting the Shanling MO from Amazon and I have used it for the last 12 or so hours.

I loaded the unit with about 215 GB of AAC files on a 400 GB micro sd card. The process would have been a lot easier for an "old fart" (me) if the instruction booklet had been more detailed or if Shanling had posted better instruction in their site. Neither of these is available so I had to wing it. Luckily for me and my wallet I did not break anything! :)

So far I have been listening using an Etymotic HF3, Westone 2, and Creative Aurvana Live. Yes, all three are old headphones but as I have stated earlier I have been away for quite a while. The music has been in apple loses files and by artists: Oleta Adams, Acoustic Alchemy, and Paul Hardcastle. My first impression is the music is flat without depth, there is lack of punch on the lower register and the bass is muddled, highs are rolled off and the soundstage is narrow with little depth.

Perhaps the unit will open up with more burn in but for now this is an entry level unit that is relatively inexpensive, able to play multiple file formats, and with the ability for relative large libraries.

FYI, the firmware on the M0 is 2.3 and the battery started blinking red after only 7 hours of use.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #4,264 of 6,418
Hi everyone ! I've just received my M0 and they sound great paired with my Sony XM3 headphones using LDAC-HQ !

I have one question regarding the volume control though. I can set it either with the M0's scroll wheel or directly on the XM3 and these are two separate volumes as increasing or decreasing the volule on the XM3 doesn't change the level displayed on the M0.

So my question is : which volume should I keep using to get the best audio quality out of the M0 & XM3 pair ? Is one volume control more destructive than the other ?

Thanks !
IMHO it would be more logical using a volume on headphones side with maximum volume on M0. Just because to give more juice from Shanling. BUT Sony XM3 has its own DAC and on both sides are only digital signals so in the end it won't make any difference which volume do you use.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #4,265 of 6,418
@Shanling

First of all, thank you Shanling for this nice little DAP. It's a worthy successor of my beloved Sansa Clip Zip (+ Rockbox). Your presence here in the community is also great and highly appreciated.

However, I have to report some bugs (FW 2.2):

1. Dots in folder name

Hi, I have a bug report, I guess.
My Shanling M0 would skip the folder named "The Men From W.O.M.B.L.E." as the folder name appears on the digital download from 7digital, with some error.
After some investigating I found it works if I delete the last "." from the folder name, otherwise the album is skipped.

I can confirm this. It happened with my "T.S.O.L." folder. The M0 wasn't able to read it and refused to open the folder showing an error message. After deleting all the dots it worked fine.

2. Diacritical marks

This is a huge letdown mostly for european users of the M0. Many letters with diacritics in the title and artist tags are displayed incorrectly and replaced with chinese characters (tested file types: MP3 and FLAC). There seems to be no pattern. I had different results even with different tracks of one album - sometimes the diacritical marks appear sometimes not. Maybe it's a buggy Vorbis comment or UTF-8 support?

I am able to reproduce the following errors:

a. Spanish letters:
- "ñ" (lowercase "n" with tilde): always
- "í" (lowercase "i" with acute accent): sometimes, especially before "n" and "a"

b. Portuguese letters:
- "ã" (lowercase "a" with tilde"): before "o"

c. Germanic umlauts:
- "ä"/"Ä" (lowercase/uppercase "a" with combining diaeresis): almost always
- "ö"/"Ö" (lowercase/uppercase "o" with combining diaeresis): almost always
- "ü"/"Ü" (lowercase/uppercase "u" with combining diaeresis): almost always

d. Diacritics used in "Scandinavian" languages (Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish)
- "å"/"Å" (lowercase/uppercase "a" with overring): always

3. Not really a bug but also quite annoying: Scrolling through folders is blocked while changing the volume. This is counterintuitive.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #4,266 of 6,418
FYI, the firmware on the M0 is 2.3 and the battery started blinking red after only 7 hours of use.
The battery gauge is not accurate. Ignore it.

Have you seen the Advanced User Manual (link on first page of this thread)?

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #4,268 of 6,418
Can you play the files?

Have you moved the files to a different directory and then not updated the library?

When moving things around or updating tags, it's not a bad idea to delete the files from the player, update the library, then add the files anew and update again.

Does the album name contain special characters or punctuation? Does it end with a full stop?

Thanks for your response. I deleted the 3 albums, updated, re-added, updated, and am getting the same error. Yes I am able to play the files on the player, just not see the album view of each album. No special characters, just apostrophes. Ends in full stop

Jan 7, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #4,269 of 6,418
True but at this point as long as DAP's have been around manufacturers should know what features are most in demand and have them included on first release. Are people suddenly not going to want playlist support or say replaygain when DAP's have had these features for a few years now? Not having these features on initial release to me speaks to companies not knowing the market they are selling to.

MTouch system is created by Chinese team and our main market is China, so that was starting point for the system. I'm trying my best to report all your wishes and my experience to the software team and get it to the system.

Unfortunately we are neither big and rich company or mainly software company, so doing our best.

@Shanling

First of all, thank you Shanling for this nice little DAP. It's a worthy successor of my beloved Sansa Clip Zip (+ Rockbox). Your presence here in the community is also great and highly appreciated.

However, I have to report some bugs (FW 2.2):

1. Dots in folder name

I can confirm this. It happened with my "T.S.O.L." folder. The M0 wasn't able to read it and refused to open the folder showing an error message. After deleting all the dots it worked fine.

2. Diacritical marks

3. Not really a bug but also quite annoying: Scrolling through folders is blocked while changing the volume. This is counterintuitive.

1. Well, folders should never end with period, that's something even Windows don't fully support

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/FileIO/naming-a-file

Do not end a file or directory name with a space or a period. Although the underlying file system may support such names, the Windows shell and user interface does not.

Honestly, I wasn't even able to create such file on my Windows computer to test it out.

I assume such folder was created automatically based on the tag. My advice would be to change the name to correct this error.

2. I reported this long time ago, was told they need to figure it out with fonts(apparently some problems with fonts for both Asian and European languages?)

3. Will check why it's like this and if it can be changed.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 7, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #4,270 of 6,418
Thanks for your response. I deleted the 3 albums, updated, re-added, updated, and am getting the same error. Yes I am able to play the files on the player, just not see the album view of each album. No special characters, just apostrophes. Ends in full stop

As I said previously, please DM me such file to figure out this error.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 8, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #4,271 of 6,418
UP2 unfortunately comes around the time of Chinese new year, so I would say March if everything goes alright.

Only thing advertised with M0, that wasn't available on release, was LDAC in BT receiver mode. Which was delayed due to delay of coding and was added in early firmware update.

Everything else is just requests of end users, often limited to small group or specific market. And with our new system being developed in house, we will be happy to add as much of them as possible, as time goes.

That is true but when you responded saying Shanling would try to implement them you opened yourself up to people asking when? Perhaps in the future don't say anything and people won't bug you constantly and then if you do add the features then you can surprise us and we will all be happy instead of frustrated at the delays and lack of updates. :) In all fairness features like replaygain are available on DAP's from competing manufacturers like Cayin and Fiio. So I don't see why you wouldn't expect us to want this feature sooner rather than later. If you had said no to replaygain then I would have looked at another DAP.

But you didn't and I bought the M0 in good faith that replaygain would be added. So people will continue to ask about these features until you provide some information on if or when. It is just the nature of consumers to want what they ask for.

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #4,272 of 6,418
That is true but when you responded saying Shanling would try to implement them you opened yourself up to people asking when? Perhaps in the future don't say anything and people won't bug you constantly and then if you do add the features then you can surprise us and we will all be happy instead of frustrated at the delays and lack of updates. :) In all fairness features like replaygain are available on DAP's from competing manufacturers like Cayin and Fiio. So I don't see why you wouldn't expect us to want this feature sooner rather than later. If you had said no to replaygain then I would have looked at another DAP.

But you didn't and I bought the M0 in good faith that replaygain would be added. So people will continue to ask about these features until you provide some information on if or when. It is just the nature of consumers to want what they ask for.
In all fairness Shanling has been very vocal about their progress and has been quite transparent in their progress. I own TOTL Fiio X7ii and there are still tons of bugs. The update promised back in Oct is still not released, and their thread is pretty much dead. Fiio CS said it clear, straight and to the point in one of their posts, that whatever you get after the fact is all gravy, that you bought into the system knowing what it can do. In this case Shanling does the same, except they're actively communicating with us.

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #4,273 of 6,418
In all fairness Shanling has been very vocal about their progress and has been quite transparent in their progress. I own TOTL Fiio X7ii and there are still tons of bugs. The update promised back in Oct is still not released, and their thread is pretty much dead. Fiio CS said it clear, straight and to the point in one of their posts, that whatever you get after the fact is all gravy, that you bought into the system knowing what it can do. In this case Shanling does the same, except they're actively communicating with us.

I guess everyone's expectations are different and in all fairness Fiio has had their problems with every DAP they release. So it should be no surprise at this point when Fiio doesn't follow through on updates on fixing their products, caveat emptor (buyer beware). When you buy a product from a company like Fiio that has this reputation then you shouldn't be surprised when you end up a victim of it yourself. I have owned Fiio DAP's and never will again, they simply release DAP's as fast as they can to make people forget about the failures of previous models. Why fix the issues on an existing product when you can simply release a new model? At least that seems to be Fiio's motto

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #4,274 of 6,418
New armband leather case for M0 is ready and shipping soon to our distributors!

armband.jpg

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #4,275 of 6,418
Well maybe if you gave us some timelines on when these things will and won't be implemented we would stop asking. I mean I have had my unit for 6 months and still waiting on features you said you were working on. By the time you do get these features added I may move on to another DAP and it may or may not be a Shanling. I can say this after this protracted release of features on the M0 I won't be buying any Shanling DAP's or any DAP's for that matter on first release again. I will wait until every feature is added before I consider buying one.
The timeline question has been answered many times on here and the answer is still the same. I checked what features the MO had on it before I purchased it so to me any feature that is added afterwards is a bonus. If a feature is that important to you then I suggest to check the features before you buy and pick the one that has the features that you want. Adding a feature takes as long as it takes and if a feature is important to you then its got to be worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back