Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Dec 17, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #4,066 of 6,418
Yes but I noticed you didn't speak up when there were several posts in this thread saying that more expensive daps didn't sound better than the m0 in blind listening tests. Nobody did. So now we have people saying the m0 sounds better than the Clip or their phones. Which is it?

You have me saying the M0 sounds better than the Clip, and it is my personal opinion.

I do not have any fancy DAPs but I have a whole range of Sansa devices (Fuze, Zip, Clip+) which I have listened to for years both on the Sandisk firmware and Rockbox. On all Sansa's I can for instance hear electrical noise when it reads from the sd card during playback. The M0 is without any noise at all. I am not going to debate the psychoacoustics of any player as that is personal to the listener and comparing devices that way makes little sense to me.

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #4,068 of 6,418
You have me saying the M0 sounds better than the Clip, and it is my personal opinion.

I do not have any fancy DAPs but I have a whole range of Sansa devices (Fuze, Zip, Clip+) which I have listened to for years both on the Sandisk firmware and Rockbox. On all Sansa's I can for instance hear electrical noise when it reads from the sd card during playback. The M0 is without any noise at all. I am not going to debate the psychoacoustics of any player as that is personal to the listener and comparing devices that way makes little sense to me.

i still own sansa fuze( first dap actually)..had great nights with fuze and Grado sr80e:gs1000smile:

does all sansa devices have same SQ?
i dont like to EQ...but will rockboxed fuze sound better than regular firmware?!

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #4,071 of 6,418
I really do like the M0, but being tiny has a disadvantage....too easy to slip out of shirt pockets! This last drop yesterday (over 4' face down onto ceramic tile, screen popped out a little [for the second time]) just rendered the push-button dead, so the only means I have of turning it on and off is via the reset button and the screen has to be set to be on continuously... volume still functions fine and it works nominally via touch screen and still plays beautifully - just is a lot less convenient to use now and can't be turned off...LOL

If my 3D printer weren't down and focused on house work at the moment I'd have a nice lanyard case designed and printed for the M0. It REALLY needs some sort of leash on it...never been dropped when actually using it, only ever when transporting it in a shirt pocket...too dang small for it's own good... LOL

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #4,073 of 6,418
Man, you made me smile XD

Any new line planned later on, with high-end DAPs? :)

I know Shanling has some really interesting high-end products for Desktop, including Shanling Speakers, if I'm not mistaken.... :)

Plans, we have them and they are big. But it's always long way from promises of engineers to actual product I can offer to our customers and distributors.

Yes, 2 channel audio is foundation of Shanling, including stuff like top rated CD players costing close to 7 000 USD. In past they were available around the world, but currently they are pretty much just for Chinese market. Will see if that can be changed.

Speakers, they are in the past, not made anymore.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 18, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #4,074 of 6,418
Hello,
I am making a decision for this Shanling M0 or FiiO M9. I can get either one at around $90 or $240, respectively. (In my country's currency during 12.12 big sales, so don't ask me where I can get these at that price)

I currently have BGVP DM6 with FiiO BTR3 and I started noticing the imbalance between the DM6 and the source I have because the FiiO BTR3 (as a USB DAC already) is very inferior to my computer's onboard sound (ALC1220 + Dedicated amp). Thus, I wanna step up the source. I know the DM6 has great potential and should be matched with any greater source.

The easiest way to do so is to buy Shanling M0 and sell the BTR3 and I can save a lot of money as Shanling M0 itself is not expensive too. My current lifestyle with Shanling M0 would not be changed much because it replaces the BTR3 perfectly. And I can listen to music with my computer too. I sit in front of computer many hours a day.

Anyway, I have a chance to get FiiO M9 at the price mentioned above which I consider a great deal, especially considering that this will be my first DAP. So, I want to know is the sound in term of quality between Shanling M0 and FiiO M9 noticeably different? If the difference is practical, I would spend money "one time" on the M9 at least for the next few years.

Is the upgrade from M0 to M9 worth it? I don't own a 2.5 balanced cable right now but if I buy M9, I would think of buying a 2.5 balanced cable anyway. Also, I will not sell the BTR3 if I choose the M9. So, the price difference will be so huge between these 2 alternatives.

What do you guys think? I want only neutral and fair comments. Sorry for posting in M0 thread but I think more people are visiting M0 thread than M9.

Thanks so much! Sorry, if my English is bad. I am not a native speaker.

I have both the M0 and the BGVP DM6 and i can tell you this, that they do not pair well together. Even though the resultant output is extremely detailed and coherent, the lack of a Custom EQ or any kind of manual tuning hurts the Baby Shanling here. The DM6 is slightly aggressive at the 125 Hz range and pairing it with a DAP thats already warm and aggressive in its bass makes the DM6 sound overly warm and bloated, sometimes even dark. @Shanling doesnt even talk about the custom EQ anymore so my hopes have turned skeptical that this will ever turn up on the M0, let alone when if it does happen. The best pairing for the DM6 is a dac/amp or DAP thats leaning towards extremely neutral such as the Fiio Q5 or the Hiby R6 or if the budget isnt that big, get something that can atleast be tuned to your liking such as the similarly specced Hidizs AP80 with brilliant Custom EQ and MSEB tuning or the Hiby R3. If you are okay with a dac/amp in the budget, try the Hidizs DH1000 or the iFi Nano Black Label iDSD. Inspite of being a hardcore Shanling and M0 fanboy, its getting harder to recommend the M0 by the day, specially in this case when you want to pair it with the DM6.

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #4,075 of 6,418
I have both the M0 and the BGVP DM6 and i can tell you this, that they do not pair well together. Even though the resultant output is extremely detailed and coherent, the lack of a Custom EQ or any kind of manual tuning hurts the Baby Shanling here. The DM6 is slightly aggressive at the 125 Hz range and pairing it with a DAP thats already warm and aggressive in its bass makes the DM6 sound overly warm and bloated, sometimes even dark. @Shanling doesnt even talk about the custom EQ anymore so my hopes have turned skeptical that this will ever turn up on the M0, let alone when if it does happen. The best pairing for the DM6 is a dac/amp or DAP thats leaning towards extremely neutral such as the Fiio Q5 or the Hiby R6 or if the budget isnt that big, get something that can atleast be tuned to your liking such as the similarly specced Hidizs AP80 with brilliant Custom EQ and MSEB tuning or the Hiby R3. If you are okay with a dac/amp in the budget, try the Hidizs DH1000 or the iFi Nano Black Label iDSD. Inspite of being a hardcore Shanling and M0 fanboy, its getting harder to recommend the M0 by the day, specially in this case when you want to pair it with the DM6.

Thanks

I already decided to buy the M9 and got it already.

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #4,076 of 6,418

Dang it. I have a DM6 incoming and was hoping to pair with M0. Should be excellent with the leaner AK120II then.
But the M0, pairs beautifully with DMG and Audbos P4 (Same bass driver as DM6). Hopefully Shanling can add EQ functions controllable via the HibyLink like app.

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #4,077 of 6,418
Man, you made me smile XD

Any new line planned later on, with high-end DAPs? :)

I know Shanling has some really interesting high-end products for Desktop, including Shanling Speakers, if I'm not mistaken.... :)

I had a chance to checkout some of their home audio gear including their amps, dac's and CD players. They make some really nice stuff and it was a big influence on my decision to buy the M0. I figured if they can make home audio gear this good they should be able to make great portable gear to.

Dec 18, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #4,078 of 6,418
I really do like the M0, but being tiny has a disadvantage....too easy to slip out of shirt pockets! This last drop yesterday (over 4' face down onto ceramic tile, screen popped out a little [for the second time]) just rendered the push-button dead, so the only means I have of turning it on and off is via the reset button and the screen has to be set to be on continuously... volume still functions fine and it works nominally via touch screen and still plays beautifully - just is a lot less convenient to use now and can't be turned off...LOL

If my 3D printer weren't down and focused on house work at the moment I'd have a nice lanyard case designed and printed for the M0. It REALLY needs some sort of leash on it...never been dropped when actually using it, only ever when transporting it in a shirt pocket...too dang small for it's own good... LOL
I was thinking of a custom 3d printed case that could take apple-watch straps. Of course I have no idea how to design that or if it would even be possible.

Dec 18, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #4,079 of 6,418
Add some adhesif foam or velcro where the clip meets the case for added grip and it works very well. The case is just way too smooth.

Yeah I have a thin strip of rubber on the back of the clip portion and my M0 has never slipped off once and I commute with it every day. I don't think velcro would work very well, it only works well with velcro on both surfaces and it can damage certain materials if it does stick to it.

I personally recommend sticking with rubber adhesive strips for the best and safest results.

Dec 18, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #4,080 of 6,418
I was thinking of a custom 3d printed case that could take apple-watch straps. Of course I have no idea how to design that or if it would even be possible.

That would really only be a good option for bluetooth, I wouldn't want walk around with a headphone cable hanging from my wrist. The other question would be would it affect the bluetooth signal strength at all?

I have at times clipped my M0 to the headband extender on my headphones when I don't want the cable to get in the way. It looks a little silly but it works and keeps the headphone cable from getting caught around stuff. I can still skip tracks using the click wheel but certainly not a long term solution

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back