Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Dec 20, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #4,096 of 6,413
yeah, I'll have to get creative and do some makeshift modification to the band for now.

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #4,098 of 6,413
I'm using M0 for three days and I'm very pleased my purchase.
Everything works fine, including functioning as USB DAC with Galaxy S7 Edge Exynos (using Neutron player), LDAC etc.
I just mostly use it with an SD card for now, though.

SQ is great, M0 sounds balanced and non-fatiguing to me. Probably best you can have from a portable device for this kind of money.
It's a great setup with Koss KSC75, best I've heard those yet.
Nice with Mee P1 as well.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #4,100 of 6,413
Just verified that this combination works, and it sounds good -

Asus Eee PC 1215B (USB-3.0) Linux Mint 19 streaming Spotify >
Plugable USB-3.0 7-Port Hub w/Charging >
Shanling M0 >
iBasso PB2 Amp (w/4x LME49710 Mono op-amps) 2.5mm TRRS >
LunaShops 8-Core Gold/Silver plated Copper cable (2.5mm TRRS - MMCX) >
NiceHCK EBX Earbuds

I thought I had all of my OTG adapters with me, to test the Micro USB out from my Nexus 7 (2013) Tablet, into the USB-C input of my Shanling M0 - but I guess they're at my house, 535 miles away... :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #4,101 of 6,413
@Shanling I'm experiencing an issue with unpausing the player using double click. Instead of starting playback, M0 turns on its display. While the display is on, double click always pauses and unpauses as expected.

It usually happens if few minutes have passed since pausing. If I want to start playback for example few seconds after pausing, it starts fine even with the display off.

I'm on 2.2 firmware.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #4,102 of 6,413
@Shanling I'm experiencing an issue with unpausing the player using double click. Instead of starting playback, M0 turns on its display. While the display is on, double click always pauses and unpauses as expected.

It usually happens if few minutes have passed since pausing. If I want to start playback for example few seconds after pausing, it starts fine even with the display off.

I'm on 2.2 firmware.
Click faster!

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #4,103 of 6,413

Opus might be added in future, not the most asked feature to be honest.
I've just discovered the Opus codec and it's great. I'd like to boost up the "asks" a bit by also requesting it. It seems to be completely open, with plenty of free-to-use implementations, and with permissive licenses so shouldn't be too problematical.

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #4,104 of 6,413
I've just discovered the Opus codec and it's great. I'd like to boost up the "asks" a bit by also requesting it. It seems to be completely open, with plenty of free-to-use implementations, and with permissive licenses so shouldn't be too problematical.
I'm using only Opus on my Zip for over 3 years now. Can't think of one good reason why other manufacturers don't feel quite keen on implementing it. It's fully open-source, unlike AAC, and the only lossy fomat worth keeping. 99% of my portable collection is in 140kbps Opus.

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #4,105 of 6,413
May be due to the "Idle > Auto-Standby" or "Idle > Auto-Shutdown" setting.

Dec 23, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #4,107 of 6,413
Someone mentioned here that the Shanling M0 does not pair well with BGVP DM6. Is it true? Is this subjective or really the case? Can others confirm?

Bgvp dm6 are also very sensitive. Does it reveal some hiss or unpleasant noise?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #4,108 of 6,413

I'm on 2.2 firmware.

It's probably standby mode kicking in. In such case, first click will be recognized as waking up device.

Might add it in future. It was added to later version of firmware for previous generation, but got pretty much no response from customers(apart from 1 or 2 guys asking for it at Head-Fi).

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 23, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #4,109 of 6,413
It's probably standby mode kicking in. In such case, first click will be recognized as waking up device.

Might add it in future. It was added to later version of firmware for previous generation, but got pretty much no response from customers(apart from 1 or 2 guys asking for it at Head-Fi).
Regarding Opus, I think this is one of those "chicken and egg" situations. DAP manufacturers don't add support because Opus isn't used much, but Opus isn't used much because hardly any DAPs support it.
My Shanling M1 is the one DAP I have that does support it,

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #4,110 of 6,413

If I am not mistaken Opus is an update to the ogg vorbis format which is and improved open source version of mp3. I use have alot of ogg encoded tracks and it provides good compression and better sound quality than mp3. Not sure how much more you will get from Opus vs ogg which of course the M0 does support. I don't have any devices that support Opus but I would love to know if there are any real differences in terms of compression and sound quality with Opus vs ogg?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back