Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 2, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #3,331 of 6,418
had this problem to update from 1.5 to 2.0. Card had to be in fat32. I suppose you need to do this first. To go from 1.0 to 1.5 exfat is not accepted for this procedure
how long the restarting after click system update? is there any indicator in the m0 screen being updating? you now like a bar or something, thanks

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #3,333 of 6,418
Why does the battery show up as discharged when you use it, then fully charge it and then it doesn't seem to update right away so it shows as red and discharged but the battery is really full then? If you plug it back in, it then starts to "update" the charge state. and fixes it but it is still wrong for a while. Firmware 2.1.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #3,338 of 6,418
Go to post #2 for full specification
Go to post #3 for tutorials, firmware update and FAQ
Go to post #4 for reviews

Introducing Shanling M0

Main features:

Dimension 45 x 40 x 13.5 mm, 38% smaller than M1

Weight just 38g

1.54 inch touch screen

ESS ES9218p audo chip

15 hour battery life, 30 day deep sleep mode, 630 mAH battery

Micro SD card up to 512 GB, no onboard memory

Bidirectional USB-C connector (M0 can serve as USB DAC with PC, also as USB transport for other DACs)

aptX and LDAC support

Two way bluetooth ( in receiver mode limited to SBC, AAC, LDAC codec, coming in future updates)

Support DSD(64 native, 128 D2P) and PCM up to 32/384

80 mW into 32 ohm

Output impedance 0.16 ohm​

Brand new MTouch OS, developed by Shanling

Hi Shanling,

In HIGH Gain Mode, what is the max impedance your M0 device can drive?? Please let me know in detail.

Thank you!!

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #3,342 of 6,418
Ok so 250 ohms and 102 dB/SPL (1mW/500Hz).

Please let me know for High Gain mode what is the max it can drive.

Thank you!!!!!

That would be a maybe.

Initially, I was going to say now, or not really, but then I connected LCD-MX4 to M0 right now to do a test for you, and I am quite happy with the music, it can drive some headphones well. from you descreiption, you're trying to drive Amiron, by any chance? that requires more power than Mx4...

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #3,343 of 6,418
That would be a maybe.

Initially, I was going to say now, or not really, but then I connected LCD-MX4 to M0 right now to do a test for you, and I am quite happy with the music, it can drive some headphones well. from you descreiption, you're trying to drive Amiron, by any chance? that requires more power than Mx4...

Hey George!

I C. No I'm driving my 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro (102 db/SPL sensitivity).

I just a bit ago found this review by Headfonics (see excerpt below) which basically proves it can't handle 250 ohms. So I think when I upgrade my LG V30 to my next phone (which very likely won't be an LG with Quad DAC) I will have to instead buy the Ampio G1 VD-6880, which can most definitely handle well over 250 ohms.

Driving Power

The specs say it is recommended up to 300ohm and I intensely disagree with anyone recommending anything that difficult to drive for usage with this M0. It struggles with 120ohm and does not have nearly enough power to do justice to needy headphones. Stick with typical portables, 32ohm and under, maybe even up to 80ohm and you should be just fine.

Thanks so much anyway!!

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #3,345 of 6,418
Hey George!

I C. No I'm driving my 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro (102 db/SPL sensitivity).

I just a bit ago found this review by Headfonics (see excerpt below) which basically proves it can't handle 250 ohms. So I think when I upgrade my LG V30 to my next phone (which very likely won't be an LG with Quad DAC) I will have to instead buy the Ampio G1 VD-6880, which can most definitely handle well over 250 ohms.

Driving Power

The specs say it is recommended up to 300ohm and I intensely disagree with anyone recommending anything that difficult to drive for usage with this M0. It struggles with 120ohm and does not have nearly enough power to do justice to needy headphones. Stick with typical portables, 32ohm and under, maybe even up to 80ohm and you should be just fine.

Thanks so much anyway!!

Unfortunately it seems that that headfonics reviewer does not yet understand that it's the sensitivity/efficiency that matters more than the impedance (as well as whether it's a closed back, open back, or iem).
The M0 can drive the Pinnacle P1 which is rated at 50-ohm and 96dB/mW (which equates to 109dB/V) in low gain. Your DT's 250-ohm and 102dB/mW converts to 108dB/V, so the M0 should be fine at driving it in high gain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back