Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 1, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #5,431 of 6,418
Anyway, I also have a serious question. I read the discussion about problems playing gapless.
I have a problem with the end of sound files, that might be related. I have a lot of sound files (some of which are self-made) that do not have silence after the ending of the sound. The sound goes on until the very end of the file. (This is exactly the same as a track from a gapless album)
But the M0 does not play the entire file. In the last second of the sound, it makes a fade-out. The end of the sound is missing. In case of spoken word, it is very clear: the last word is not there.
I tried solving it by turning GAPLESS to ON. This works, but only 1 time. One file is played till the very end, and the next one is faded out again...
I tested it with a very short (10 seconds) spoken word file and PLAY MODE on REPEAT TRACK.
With GAPLESS OFF, the end of the sound is faded out every time. I am not sure but the missing part is 1 second, maybe 0.5 second.
If I turn GAPLESS to ON during playback, the next ending is played correctly, and I can hear the last word. But after that, the end is faded out again, even more than before.
I have 2 M0's and they both do it. Both have firmware 3.0 installed. The sound files are mp3.

Question 1: The M0 can play the audio correctly. But why can I only make it do so by switching GAPLESS ON during playback? And why does it stop playing correctly after that?
Question 2: Why is the M0 fading the sound in the first place? I really cannot think of any situation where I would want that. I want to hear all the audio in the file. Is there a technical problem?
Question 3: Is it possible to have a playback mode RAW, where all audio files are played exactly as they are, and complete? (I would prefer that, even if there would be gaps)

I have written to Shanling about this, but I got no reply. That is why I try here. Keep up the good work, any reply is appreciated.

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #5,433 of 6,418
Has anyone tried M0 with Ibasso DC01?
Is it possible to control the volume, or is it always set to max?

On M0 you can set both in settings. We have fixed volume for standard DACs and variable volume for USB dongles/USB headphones.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 8, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #5,434 of 6,418
I have a problem with m0 as USB DAC, when I connect m0 to my laptop on windows 10 I hear it a plugin and unplug directly, I have installed shanling m0 driver and it shows No devices connected, I do not what is the problem

Aug 8, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #5,435 of 6,418
I have a problem with m0 as USB DAC, when I connect m0 to my laptop on windows 10 I hear it a plugin and unplug directly, I have installed shanling m0 driver and it shows No devices connected, I do not what is the problem
Turn on the M0.

Set USB mode to 'DAC' in the settings.

Connect M0 to computer.

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #5,437 of 6,418
thanks for reply
I've tried this, don't work
I hear it plugin and unplug directly
I also have fiio e10k working without any problem
it works perfectly after deleted programs for audio editing and equalizer, then deleted the m0 driver and restart computer then setup the m0 driver v2.29.0 :beyersmile:

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #5,438 of 6,418
Could someone recommand me a "budget hard mesh case" that fits to the dimensions of the M0 (DAP alone, or with a pair of earbuds with cable) ?
Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #5,439 of 6,418
I bought an M0 a couple of weeks ago, and have been using it a lot ever since. It's a seriously impressive piece of kit for the size!

However, I do have one significant gripe. Most of my music is in VBR AAC (converted from my lossless files using the Nero AAC encoder), and these files play perfectly gaplessly on my old iPod classic, my iPhone and my two Sony NW players. But even with the gapless playback option on the M0 switched on, lossy files aren't played back gaplessly; there is a noticeably glitch between tracks. It is admittedly not as bad as having gapless switched off, when you get around a second of silence between tracks, but describing the M0 as "gapless" really isn't true.

Given it is clearly possible to make AAC playback perfectly gapless - both Apple and Sony play it back gaplessly - do Shanling intend to improve gapless playback for lossy files in a future firmware update? Or is the current performance as good as I can hope for?

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #5,440 of 6,418
I have the latest firmware. The EQ does not do anything for files over 24/44.1. Anything this or lower, and the EQ works fine. However anything higher res, and the EQ does not alter the sound. (I'm using flack files). Anyone else have this issue?

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #5,441 of 6,418
I have the latest firmware. The EQ does not do anything for files over 24/44.1. Anything this or lower, and the EQ works fine. However anything higher res, and the EQ does not alter the sound. (I'm using flack files). Anyone else have this issue?

Hi, it's a limitation set into system, EQ is not affecting Hi-Res files.

Cheers

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #5,443 of 6,418
@Shanling is there any way from stopping the M0 from automatically powering on when plugging into charge? That combined with automatic connection to the last device as BT receiver and the screen auto-off, often means it starts to drain battery as soon as it is unplugged from the charger as there's no way to tell if the DAP is powered on or not just by looking at it. I have often Charged the M0, put it in my bag, went about my day, then try to power the M0 on for some music only to find I'm actually powering it off with almost no battery as it was on all day. This also needlessly accelerates the degradation of the battery itself. Unless it's a planned obsolescence, in which case...

Powering off just after plugging in (actually, after the booting process has completed) every time seems like an unnecessarily cumbersome process just to make sure it stays charged. I have auto-off enabled but that only works in DAP mode and not BT receiver mode.

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #5,444 of 6,418
Could someone recommand me a "budget hard mesh case" that fits to the dimensions of the M0 (DAP alone, or with a pair of earbuds with cable) ?
Thanks in advance :)
Anyone has a tip ?

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #5,445 of 6,418
Anyone has a tip ?
Search for 'Samsung T5 Case':

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=samsung+t5+case&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I originally bought one of these becasue it is the perfect size for a Cowon Plenue D. Now that I have the M0, I find I can fit the M0, SoundMagic E80 IEMs and the Shanling USB-C cable in this case.

Smaller cases are also available but I'm not sure what to search for those.

This appears to be the actual one I picked:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProCase-Sa...msung+t5+case&qid=1565516646&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back