Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
May 29, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #5,206 of 6,418
I went ahead and updated yesterday without reading and it went fine. Dunno if it was the updated file or not tho.

Of note, i really like the swipe up quick menu with the Bluetooth button. I can't access it from the now playing screen for some reason. Yh, the Bluetooth animation does seem a bit much but the rest of the UI changes were generally for the better - it had to be said. Especially in the dark, as someone mentioned before. Patiently waiting for ReplayGain and app to complete the trifecta. One down two to go. Choo choo motherlovers!

Is there a way to stop the m0 from automatically powering on when plugging into charge? In turn, it automatically pairs to my phone almost every time i plug it into the wall. Annoyance level: yellow (let's leave the mountains and moles out of this, lol)

May 29, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #5,207 of 6,418
@Shanling thanks for the firmware update. It is great that you still support older devices and that the promised trickle-down effect actually happens.
Older devices? It's a year old and still in its infancy with a brand new in house homegrown OS. They better have updates for the next three years easy. And the phone app hasn't even dropped yet.

May 29, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #5,209 of 6,418
Older devices? It's a year old and still in its infancy with a brand new in house homegrown OS. They better have updates for the next three years easy. And the phone app hasn't even dropped yet.

I completely agree, but quite often manufacturers completely focus on their latest product. M0 is not old in years, but Shanling has release M5S and M2X since as well as non-DAP products. It would not be the first time a previous device got abandoned.

There are still things I would really like in my M0 that sound completely feasible. Most importantly ReplayGain. Having said that, I like getting (other) updates like 3.0.

May 29, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #5,210 of 6,418
@Shanling Frankie - any news or update with regards to audiobook / podcast support?
I am still optimistic........ (and hopeful)

Here's hoping! I don't know how useful this can be as long as the database is rebuilt every time files are updated.

Anyhow, Frankie, how about a simple bookmark feature? I play a lot of archived music radio shows and if I feel like playing an album at some point before finishing a show (or if I update files or use DAC mode), I lose my place. Even if I write down my place, scrubbing back to it isn't easy.

I could see this being done without even cluttering up the Playing interface.. like maybe if there were a playlist called ''bookmarks" that would remember positions of files added to it. Or a defined folder or something.

Look forward to trying the new firmware on the weekend.

May 29, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #5,211 of 6,418
Here's hoping! I don't know how useful this can be as long as the database is rebuilt every time files are updated.

Anyhow, Frankie, how about a simple bookmark feature? I play a lot of archived music radio shows and if I feel like playing an album at some point before finishing a show (or if I update files or use DAC mode), I lose my place. Even if I write down my place, scrubbing back to it isn't easy.

I could see this being done without even cluttering up the Playing interface.. like maybe if there were a playlist called ''bookmarks" that would remember positions of files added to it. Or a defined folder or something.

Look forward to trying the new firmware on the weekend.

I also would really welcome a bookmark/audiobook feature. In the alternative, I'd settle for a feature that allows you to advance to xx-hours and yy-minutes of a track/audiobook, as the slider is not at all precise.

May 29, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #5,212 of 6,418
I also would really welcome a bookmark/audiobook feature. In the alternative, I'd settle for a feature that allows you to advance to xx-hours and yy-minutes of a track/audiobook, as the slider is not at all precise.
That alternative would require taking note of position everytime you finish listening to podcast / audiobook. And if you have several podcasts - each would need its own last position remembered or written down...
Let's hope Shanling implement a real solution!

May 29, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #5,213 of 6,418
I agree with you. Presently, I do what you stated - I write down the last position of the audiobook. Later, I use the slider to try to get to that position, but it never gets me close enough. Typically, I settle for the slider being in advance of where I stopped and I use my cell phone to listen from where I really stopped to the M0 advanced position -- a major hassle.

May 29, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #5,214 of 6,418
I agree with you. Presently, I do what you stated - I write down the last position of the audiobook. Later, I use the slider to try to get to that position, but it never gets me close enough. Typically, I settle for the slider being in advance of where I stopped and I use my cell phone to listen from where I really stopped to the M0 advanced position -- a major hassle.
Podcast and audiobook functionality existed on MP3 players for 15+ years. I wish current DAPs would start providing that as standard functionality!
Currently, I use my iPhone for podcast and audiobook functionality, but rather use my DAP with its huge microSD storage for that...

May 29, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #5,216 of 6,418
Hi Shanling
My Shanling M0 is still stuck following the update. And I'm not the only one. News for ' unbricking ' it?
In case you could not do anything, a commercial gesture would be appreciated.
I remember a COWON who had blocked a few years ago. I found on the net a small software that corrected the problem.
Many thanks .

May 29, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #5,217 of 6,418
Updated and looks good.

Didn't even have to go through the rigmarole of restarting the machine and clicking play many times for it to actually play a file on BT (yes under 2.5 this was my life - had to go find a file in a folder, click that repeatedly, then switch to 'Open All' - quite often it still froze or stopped playing after 5-10 tracks).

So hopefully those are fixed, but it's probably the honeymoon period and it'll go back to that...

Like the UI, and Open All...seems quicker. I think the M0 struggles with cards that are 256Gb or larger generally - track updates quite often freeze/stop, I think that's the problem. Might try using playlists or folder play more...

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #5,218 of 6,418
Podcast and audiobook functionality existed on MP3 players for 15+ years. I wish current DAPs would start providing that as standard functionality!
Currently, I use my iPhone for podcast and audiobook functionality, but rather use my DAP with its huge microSD storage for that...

Another one waiting for some sort of bookmark / remember position.

I don't care about Audible and other formats, and rewind/ffwd 30 seconds et al, but a proper resume that remembers last position would make this DAP perfect for podcast listening.

As it is, I still carry my iPod Nano everywhere.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #5,219 of 6,418
I don't care about Audible and other formats, and rewind/ffwd 30 seconds et al, but a proper resume that remembers last position would make this DAP perfect for podcast listening.
Personally, I do not care about Audible format either. Just MP3 based podcasts / audiobooks...
For podcasts, the skip 15 or 30 seconds is important (unlike audiobooks) to skip over ads or boring parts of the podcast.
Many people also like speed "boost" (x1.10, x1.25, x1.50) for podcasts, but I personally do not care about that feature.

May 29, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #5,220 of 6,418
@Shanling

Please add support for OPUS codec for M0

If I download music from youtube it is typically encoded in OPUS

You already added OPUS support to older models, so it should not be very difficult I think: https://www.facebook.com/6032307831...added-support-of-opus-codecc/953820694774517/

Currently I get this error message on firmware v2.3 when opening ogg-opus file:

vQp7wg.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back