Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Apr 26, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #5,041 of 6,418
ESS used in M0 is SoC, all in one unit.
Firstly, not sure if anybody knows how difficult would it be to work in this chip, change it's connections, software, etc.
Secondly, why to do that, when you can simply decide to use dedicated DAC chip if you are already putting there dedicated amp circuit, making the device bigger no matter what.

Well, you can use M0 as USB DAC with Android phone. Not sure how would you like to use M0 as source for Android device? You can connect it in Transfer mode and view files on mSD card.

BT delay: You write you are using AAC, which has it's own delay caused by technology and no device on market can change that. Needs to be fixed by your phone, sometimes it can be hidden in some advanced setting or most video apps have setting for audio delay, exactly for this reason.
With USB delay, working on it.
I was testing early version of new EQ system recently, its sound is promising, so hopefully it will be in M5s and soon after that in M0.
Card cover, some people like it, some don't. Wast majority of users puts card into their player and takes it away once in a while, so for that we made cover that fits securely and doesn't flap around that randomly. If you think yours doesn't fit properly, you can try to play little bit with the o-ring, to make it fit more flush.
M0 is DAP first, so no plans to include Mic or functions to control phone calls. For that we will have UP2 with all functions of BT receiver.

Regarding phone notifications, M0 in that way acts as any other BT receiver or headphones. if you want notifications, turn on the volume on your phone.

Streaming is always question of the system, developing system support for streaming apps takes time and simply using Android brings many other problems.

We believe our solution with using your phone and connecting over BT (or Wifi on M5s), is decent temporary way to get streaming on Shanling players, until better solution is finished.

M0 can works as BT receiver with pretty much all devices sending BT, so it's all about settings and possibilities on your Chromebook

Send me one file in PM to check out, easiest way how to solve such problem.

Yeah, listening. Repeating posts on same topic will unfortunately not speed up our limited software team.

Sorry to bother you, but do you know if this future update with podcast/audiobook support will be avaliable to Shanling m0? I loved the size and the battery life and i am considering buy one but i am afraid to buy and then you realese a different model capable to play podcast/audiobook with bookmark and variable speed playback. Thank you

Apr 26, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #5,042 of 6,418
Sorry to bother you, but do you know if this future update with podcast/audiobook support will be avaliable to Shanling m0? I loved the size and the battery life and i am considering buy one but i am afraid to buy and then you realese a different model capable to play podcast/audiobook with bookmark and variable speed playback. Thank you

Wouldn't hold your breath on podcast/audiobook support if I were you :frowning2: If you want said features buy a full android dap or at least one where you can side load apks in.

Apr 26, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #5,044 of 6,418
I gotta doubt. I have Honor View 10 whuch has aptx codec but when trying to pair with Shanling M0 it pairs only with AAC or SBC. M0 is on 2.5 firmware and also done a factory reset. Still it can't connect through Aptx. But the phone can connect with Sony WH-1000XM2 via Aptx and Aptx-hd.
IMG_20190420_232533.jpg
IMG-20190426-WA0112.jpg
IMG-20190426-WA0057.jpg
IMG_20190420_232533.jpg

Apr 26, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #5,045 of 6,418
Wouldn't hold your breath on podcast/audiobook support if I were you :frowning2: If you want said features buy a full android dap or at least one where you can side load apks in.

So i think i will buy a spare battery and keep using my Jelly Pro. It is running Android 8.1, has sd card slot but drains battery very fast while listening to podcast via bluetooth

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #5,046 of 6,418
Thank you for the answer, even if it's not exactly what I wanted to hear.

Unrelated, but what are the plans regarding opus playback? I didn't even know that this dap doesn't support opus until I tried putting some tracks recently. Took me by surprise.

I know we have Opus somewhere on list to add, didn't got to it yet, since it's quite unknown.

Dropped down to firmware 2.4 and it seems to work ok now and re-connects with paired earphones when you turn it back on, though still a bit patchy BT performance with dropouts

Can you please post what headphones are you using?

I gotta doubt. I have Honor View 10 whuch has aptx codec but when trying to pair with Shanling M0 it pairs only with AAC or SBC. M0 is on 2.5 firmware and also done a factory reset. Still it can't connect through Aptx. But the phone can connect with Sony WH-1000XM2 via Aptx and Aptx-hd.

Receiver mode is limited to SBC, AAC and LDAC, no support for apt-X.

Which Android is running on your Honor? If it's 8 and higher, I would advice to use LDAC.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 30, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #5,049 of 6,418
Since 2.5, the USB DAC latency has decreased drastically and it's very nice!

However, I used this DAC mode connected to the USB 3.0 output of a powerful desktop computer for "Critical listening": every few minutes, I clearly hear a "clic" in the headphones (I used wired monitoring headphones / AKG 702). I don't hear these clics when I put the FLAC I used for DAC playback on the M0 SD card directly. So it's a DAC play mode issue.

I'm curious to hear if I'm the only one (my FLAC was a 96/24 HiRes FLAC. I can test with standard ones).

This is a wild guess, but it's quite possible that the loss of latency was obtained by shrinking a receive buffer in the M0 and possibly... it has shrunk a bit too much and becomes transiently empty?

I hope 2.6 will solve this as this is a real pain in the ears :)

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #5,050 of 6,418
I just picked up the Sony wh-1000xm3. I was hoping to use these with LDAC hi quality But with the M0, I found that the connection on a plane was not great no matter how close the M0 is. I am on the latest firmware. Is an older firmware any more stable when connecting? Or is high quality LDAC a poor choice due to connectivity issues? The first time I have really had any kind of issue with the M0; and I am not sure its the M0 per se.

May 1, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #5,051 of 6,418
I just picked up the Sony wh-1000xm3. I was hoping to use these with LDAC hi quality But with the M0, I found that the connection on a plane was not great no matter how close the M0 is. I am on the latest firmware. Is an older firmware any more stable when connecting? Or is high quality LDAC a poor choice due to connectivity issues? The first time I have really had any kind of issue with the M0; and I am not sure its the M0 per se.

On a plane?! Isn't wifi and bluetooth like illegal or heavily frowned upon on a plane? Isn't every device supposed to be off or in plane mode as to not interfere with the plane systems?

May 1, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #5,052 of 6,418
On a plane?! Isn't wifi and bluetooth like illegal or heavily frowned upon on a plane? Isn't every device supposed to be off or in plane mode as to not interfere with the plane systems?

That is already something from the past. Some planes even have in-flight wifi which connects to the internet or an entertainment system where you can connect your device to by wifi and stream movies and music. Bluetooth is mostly not allowed during take-off and landing but during the flight it is allowed.

May 1, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #5,053 of 6,418
Nothing to do with M0 or the Sony headphone.

Bluetooth is a bit like the motor car. It's a great idea when devices are thinly spread and don't interfere with each other. The problem comes when they all want to be in the same place at the same time. The result is conjestion. No surprise then that LDAC, which is already testing the outer limits of Bluetooth, won't work well on a plane where who knows how many others in close proximity are trying to use it too. Add to that a metal shell which is reflecting signals that would normally radiate away thus causing major multipath distortion and you're on a hiding to nothing.

May 1, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #5,054 of 6,418
Bluetooth is mostly not allowed during take-off and landing but during the flight it is allowed.

The use of all electronic devices is banned during take-off and landing, this is nothing to do with RF interference. Its because if there is an emergency they want all passengers ready to follow instructions.

May 1, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #5,055 of 6,418
The use of all electronic devices is banned during take-off and landing, this is nothing to do with RF interference. Its because if there is an emergency they want all passengers ready to follow instructions.

Bluetooth class 1 is 100 milliwatts but most (if not all) smartphones rely on class 2 which is few milliwatts (10/20 meters range). The M0 is likely in this class 2 too. This is far less than the GSM 3G/4G section (few Watts) and Wifi (few hundreds of milliwatts).

In 2013, the FAA gave its approval for airplane passengers to use Bluetooth devices. Then it's up to each airline to set its own rules regarding Bluetooth use (most airlines allow it I think, you need to check).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back