Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Apr 18, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #4,981 of 6,418
BT to/from USB is a great addition. Now I can Buetoothify the Mojo and have the BT speakers paired only to one device. This is a huge feather in the M0 cap. This feature is giving me serious 2nd thoughts on selling the M0.

C'mon @Shanling! (tone of encouragement, not ridicule) RG and EQ and this thing'll be perfect!!!!

p.s. this is my favorite update thus far
p.p.s. Has anybody here checked out the Fiio M5? How do current M0 owners feel about the upcoming(!) device?

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #4,982 of 6,418
BT to/from USB is a great addition. Now I can Buetoothify the Mojo and have the BT speakers paired only to one device. This is a huge feather in the M0 cap. This feature is giving me serious 2nd thoughts on selling the M0.

C'mon @Shanling! (tone of encouragement, not ridicule) RG and EQ and this thing'll be perfect!!!!

p.p.s. Has anybody here checked out the Fiio M5? How do current M0 owners feel about the upcoming(!) device?

A bit too early to say anything, but at the moment I see very little reason to change. Same screen size, which is actually a mistake in my opinion. I believe m0 is a bit too small and slightly larger player would make for a better competition for people who find m0 too hard to use.

m0 in my opinion has following issues:
1. Too small, makes it slightly difficult to operate with large library. Something like shanling m1 would be prefered.
2. Awful battery life indication, which shanling refuses to address, instead focusing on features about 3 (very vocal) people in the world care about.
3. No dedicated forward/back buttons, limitation of size for sure.

Essentialy the issues that I have with m0 (except for battery life indicator) are due to the size, and from what I see fiio dap went for the exact same form factor. Volume control seems to be with button (which I find inferior to shanling wheel) and forward/back will most likely be solved by long press. That is slightly better than double/tripple click on shanling, but still not ideal.
If battery life they deliver is outstanding, that would be the only thing as of now that I would see as added value.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #4,984 of 6,418
@yuno5 i pretty much agree with you but a lot of the problems you addressed could mostly be solved with the companion app, no? Not ideal but a usable workaround. But since Fiio already has the app in circulation... And the Fiio has EQ off the bat, seemingly but EQ function doesn't extend to bt receiver mode. I still sorely miss ReplayGain. I can't put songs from BSSM and By The Way in the same playlist until it's implemented. And the m5 has a mic.

@TSch yes! The m0 way more laptop friendly now.

As a guy in the m0 camp, i don't want it to lose to the Fiio m5 but it might turn out be stiff competition. Posterial pyro ignition time for Shanling? Time to show Fiio who's boss time!

Red vs Blue?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #4,985 of 6,418
I def want to pick up this little cute device for travel purposes. And it's not pricey either and will replace my out of date iPod shuffle.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #4,986 of 6,418

Like this. :)

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #4,988 of 6,418

I originally bought the M0 last summer for my Mojo because I thought it could do bluetooth to usb out, only to discover it couldn’t. I ended up selling the Mojo (form factor was a complete pain once linked to a mobile by a cable, hence the M0). Very glad I hung on to the M0 as it has proved to be a really great device for breathing new life in to Amps and now Dac/amps.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #4,989 of 6,418
I originally bought the M0 last summer for my Mojo because I thought it could do bluetooth to usb out, only to discover it couldn’t. I ended up selling the Mojo (form factor was a complete pain once linked to a mobile by a cable, hence the M0). Very glad I hung on to the M0 as it has proved to be a really great device for breathing new life in to Amps and now Dac/amps.

And now you probably should to consider repurchasing the Mojo, :) Connected to the M0 and a source over LDAC gives a very nice wireless sound. Great flexibility too, the Mojo/M0 fits great in my jeans pocket, phone in hand and I'm all set to go.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #4,990 of 6,418
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #4,992 of 6,418
One problem with the Bluetooth to USB feature appears to be battery life, From fully charged to red battery status I got less than 3 hours.

I'm hoping this is a case of poor battery remaining indication. What kind of battery life do other users get in this mode?

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #4,993 of 6,418
Apr 18, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #4,995 of 6,418
Firstly, for anybody without properly working Rar program, here is direct link to the .bin file https://drive.google.com/open?id=1McDRi_p5XuRAiQTYA5VEL6nnwf9BfSGX

EQ on M0 is quite basic and we are working on more advanced EQ for our MTouch system.

Digital filters affect pre and post-ringing and little bit frequency response. If you want to learn more about them, you can start for example with this article from Stereophile and then spend few dozens of hours reading takes on it from different blogs, audio engineers, manufacturers, etc.
For normal users, I will just say, try to change between them to see, which you prefer and if you even hear any difference. Our stock setting is "Minimum Slow"

Hi Shanling, will custom EQ come soon? I know the screen is small but it will be very interesting if you can support parametric eq. To fit on the small screen, one way is to tap on the frequency e.g. 2khz in the EQ interface opens a new page for you to choose the frequency you want. PEQ is so far the only feature I miss after using a V30, since I don't have many MQA files.

2 questions/suggestions too:
1) Possible to have a random lockscreen option? I think the album art pics you preloaded for files without art look good enough to rotate as wallpaper/
2) Is it possible to make the OS more responsive to right swipe to go back? I've not tried earlier OS versions and installed 2.5 once I got my M0 but i find the M0 doesn't register my right swipes often.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back