Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Feb 7, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #4,622 of 6,413
It's until the battery indicator turns red, but after ~15 minutes (in wired mode) it shows a "LOW BATTERY" message and the indicator becomes empty (just a red rectangle).

Have you done a full battery drain yet? If not let it drain fully and then recharge it and then check the battery life. This should help calibrate the battery meter in the player. The meters can get out of wack fairly easily and I have noticed alot of fluctuations in the battery meter in the 7 months I have owned my M0 especially when going long periods without doing a full battery drain.

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #4,623 of 6,413
I have been listening to the M0 this week with CA Comets and really like it.

It's small enough to fit inside the Comet case for travelling around and sounds great.

I am still getting used to the UI but so far so good - it's a small screen so you have to accept the limitations. As mentioned on this thread already, it might make sense to get rid of the icons at the start of the line - I don't need a turquoise blob saying FLAC etc.

Thumbing around between tracks, albums and folders is pretty fast. I thought that I'd have to put it on shuffle and use it like that but to be honest I prefer to listen to an actual album in it's entirety. I'm flipping between the folder menu and the album menu.

I like the small icon that indicates hi-res / dsd that sits on the album cover artwork when playing. Probably a good place to add a distinct icon for flac or mp3 too rather than on the track listing line.

I thought I'd need to use it with my Chord Mojo but it sounds pretty good without it. (Mojo battery is dead so sending off for replacement - used as desktop setup with laptop and HD650's).

Anyway, it's a great player that goes with me everywhere as it is so small.

So far I have listened to quite a few albums including the following:
The Bladerunner 2049 soundtrack (great bass and sounds in general).
Kids See Ghosts
Musicians of the Nile (Charcoal Gypsies)
Burial (Untrue)
A.A.L (Against All Logic)
cupcaKKe (Ephorize)
Schubert (Forellenquintett - Mutter/Trifonov)
SZA (Ctrl)
etc

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #4,624 of 6,413
Maybe this was addressed previously but I think I found a bug with my M0.
I'm using it paired with a Sony WH-1000XM3 using the LDAC codec.
Everytime I turn OFF my XM3 and then turn OFF my M0, on next statup the M0 fails to resume to the same track as when I turned it OFF.
If I first turn OFF the M0 and then turn OFF the XM3 everything's just fine, the M0 resumes to the right track on next startup, so weird !

That's annoying as I usually take off my headphones first and turn off the M0 next as it's inside a pocket, not a dealbreaker but still...

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #4,625 of 6,413
Have you done a full battery drain yet? If not let it drain fully and then recharge it and then check the battery life. This should help calibrate the battery meter in the player. The meters can get out of wack fairly easily and I have noticed alot of fluctuations in the battery meter in the 7 months I have owned my M0 especially when going long periods without doing a full battery drain.

So, today I just tried a "full drain" of the battery. After the "LOW BATTERY" message displayed, I got about 1h of playtime before the player shutdowned itself. I tried to turned it on but after a few seconds I got a shutdown message and it turned off automatically. So, overall I can get around 9 hours of playtime in wired mode, which is far from the advertised 15 hours... I'll try to repeat this drain -> full charge -> drain cycle during a few days, I hope I won't have to send it back to warranty just after buying it -_-

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #4,626 of 6,413
So, today I just tried a "full drain" of the battery. After the "LOW BATTERY" message displayed, I got about 1h of playtime before the player shutdowned itself. I tried to turned it on but after a few seconds I got a shutdown message and it turned off automatically. So, overall I can get around 9 hours of playtime in wired mode, which is far from the advertised 15 hours... I'll try to repeat this drain -> full charge -> drain cycle during a few days, I hope I won't have to send it back to warranty just after buying it -_-

Well, i play in shuffle mix of mp3, flac on high gain volume around 60 and i can squeeze 9h or 9h 30min too.

I think also for most devices advertised battery is only through minimal usage, i still dont know if you can reach 15 hours but may be with screen off, playing mp3s, on low gain with average volume you can reach it.

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #4,627 of 6,413
Well, i play in shuffle mix of mp3, flac on high gain volume around 60 and i can squeeze 9h or 9h 30min too.

I think also for most devices advertised battery is only through minimal usage, i still dont know if you can reach 15 hours but may be with screen off, playing mp3s, on low gain with average volume you can reach it.

For my part, I play FLAC files on low gain mode with volume set around 25-30, so it should use far less battery. Also, many users reported they had their M0 lasting for ~15h in wired mode and ~10-12h in Bluetooth mode. If I can last ~10h in wired after a few cycles, this will be okay for me, but there's day I listen up to 7 hours (I know it's really bad for my ears so I don't do this too often), and I don't want to have to charge it every day.

Feb 8, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #4,628 of 6,413

If I leave bluetooth turned off when not using it, set screen brightness to 10 and screen shutoff at 10 seconds I average 11 to 12 hours on full charge to full drain. Leaving bluetooth on definitely drains the battery faster even on standby.

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #4,632 of 6,413
Thank you

The meaning / outcome of these two paragraphs isn't 100% clear to me.

"aptX and LDAC support

Two way bluetooth ( in receiver mode limited to SBC, AAC, LDAC codec, coming in future updates)"

What exactly is coming in future updates and isn't working now? Aptx and Aptx HD? In what direction. Or is everything working in both directions now?

I just want to know if it can recieve a 96k 24 bit file via USB and then transmit it in LDAC 990kbs

Thank you

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #4,633 of 6,413
What exactly is coming in future updates and isn't working now? Aptx and Aptx HD? In what direction. Or is everything working in both directions now?

AptX HD will never come, M0 lacks the hardware support.

Both USB DAC and bluetooth transmitting at the same time is not possible at this time, maybe that might come in a future update.

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #4,634 of 6,413
Thank you

The meaning / outcome of these two paragraphs isn't 100% clear to me.

"aptX and LDAC support

Two way bluetooth ( in receiver mode limited to SBC, AAC, LDAC codec, coming in future updates)"

I just want to know if it can recieve a 96k 24 bit file via USB and then transmit it in LDAC 990kbs

Thank you

The M0 can receive SBC and LDAC, including 990Kb/s.
The M0 can transmit SBC, aptX (not HD), and LDAC (including 990Kb/s) - but only music from the internal USB card can currently be transmitted.
If the internal SOC has enough processing power, Shanling has said that one of the things they'll add to the Firmware, will be the ability to receive USB audio, and transmit it via Bluetooth.
It's possible that there could also be LDAC licensing issues with Sony, for operating the M0 as a USB to LDAC transmitter.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #4,635 of 6,413
Ah many thanks. This saves my embarasment just in time (I told a friend that the MO can do it.)

I think but may be wrong that my Fiio M9 can transmit usb audio via LDAC. But I need to verify that also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back