Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Dec 27, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #4,141 of 6,418
I've got it working! :ksc75smile:
My Asus Eee PC 1215B Netbook, running Linux Mint 19, is now streaming BT LDAC to my Shanling M0.

At the bottom of the page you linked to ( https://github.com/EHfive/pulseaudio-modules-bt ), there are a couple of manual steps, which add the LDAC modules to the Pulse Audio config file, after all of the automated installation steps that were done by the Synaptic Package Manager.

NOTE: I've un-commented the LDAC HQ line in my config file.

Awesome!! definitely want to give this a shot when I switch to Linux Mint next year. Probably Mint 19.1 by the time I am ready to go. Just waiting for business to slow down before I make time for the move to Linux and leave Windows in my rearview.

Might need to hit you up for some help when I am ready to try this. Used Unix many years ago but this will be my first attempt with any version of Linux.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #4,142 of 6,418
Awesome!! definitely want to give this a shot when I switch to Linux Mint next year. Probably Mint 19.1 by the time I am ready to go. Just waiting for business to slow down before I make time for the move to Linux and leave Windows in my rearview.

Might need to hit you up for some help when I am ready to try this. Used Unix many years ago but this will be my first attempt with any version of Linux.

Just noticed, while looking more closely at the photo, that I forgot to reset the clock on my M0, when the time changed this Fall - it's an hour ahead... :wink:

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #4,143 of 6,418
I've got it working! :ksc75smile:
My Asus Eee PC 1215B Netbook, running Linux Mint 19, is now streaming BT LDAC to my Shanling M0.

At the bottom of the page you linked to ( https://github.com/EHfive/pulseaudio-modules-bt ), there are a couple of manual steps, which add the LDAC modules to the Pulse Audio config file, after all of the automated installation steps that were done by the Synaptic Package Manager.

NOTE: I've un-commented the LDAC HQ line in my config file.
Excellent. Thanks for the sharing, this will come in handy when I try. How is the range? This Eee PC is on BT 3.0 right?

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #4,144 of 6,418
Excellent. Thanks for the sharing, this will come in handy when I try. How is the range? This Eee PC is on BT 3.0 right?

I don't believe I've used the Bluetooth on this Netbook for anything before now - but one of the European reviews from 2011, when it came out, says "and a Bluetooth 3.0 +HS module." I was testing it at the desk today, and didn't try carrying the M0 around, or out of the room - to see what sort of range the 1215B has.

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #4,146 of 6,418
Not only with the "ñ" character, happens with all the letters randomly.

Please send me in PM such file showing problem, I have never seen our system misbehaving on standard letters.(special letters, yeah, we have some things to fix there).

Unfortunately yes; the problem (M0 won't connect to ifi Nano BL) started out of nowhere. I was just listening to music at my desk when it started losing connection, and ultimately refused to connect at all. My last firmware update was probably a month prior to the issue starting.

Thanks for the reply, and any help you can provide.

Honestly, seems you tried most things on your side. I would advice contacting your seller for warranty repair / replacement.

I reported it to engineers, got no response from them so far.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 29, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #4,148 of 6,418
The time still seems to desync when the battery dies and has to be reset.
Not quite sure what you mean here. The most obvious interpretation seems to be that you are surprised that the M0 cannot maintain the time of day with a flat battery; or perhaps that the time is not remembered after a factory reset? In the absence of solar power or an internet connection, I don't see how the time could be maintained in these situations.

Dec 29, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #4,149 of 6,418
Not quite sure what you mean here. The most obvious interpretation seems to be that you are surprised that the M0 cannot maintain the time of day with a flat battery; or perhaps that the time is not remembered after a factory reset? In the absence of solar power or an internet connection, I don't see how the time could be maintained in these situations.

The only time I have ever had to change the time on my M0 is for daylight savings time. I am extremely pleased with how steady the time has been.

Dec 29, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #4,150 of 6,418
Gapless isn't perfect on the m0. There is a slight glitch between tracks and the timing is thrown off slightly but noticeably. My tracks are ripped perfectly gapless by foobar and play fine on my phones and other gapless enabled players. Any chance of a fix?

Dec 29, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #4,152 of 6,418
There is no such thing as "USB Line Out".

The term "Line Out" refers to an analogue signal of fixed volume, typically around 2 Volts RMS for peak signal.

The LO/PO switch therefore affects the headphone socket only and selects between a fixed 2V output (Line Out) suitable for sending to an amplifier or a variable output (Phones Out) suitable for driving headphones.

USB Out is digital and should be bit perfect and not attenuated by the volume control although I'm not sure if EQ affects the USB Out on the M0.[/Q

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #4,153 of 6,418
The only time I have ever had to change the time on my M0 is for daylight savings time. I am extremely pleased with how steady the time has been.

The time on mine has gotten out of sync at least twice - not sure yet why as I only really notice it when I'm in the gym (I use the device to track the time, while I'm there).

Could very well be battery related, where dead battery = time gets out of whack. Easy enough fix though.

Dec 30, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #4,154 of 6,418
@Shanling

I have two M0s, one bought months back and a newer one given as a Christmas present to me just recently. The new one is running 2.3 and the older one 2.2 firmware. There are physical differences between the two, the newer having a darker Titanium color than the other and the corners a bit more angular. That's not where the differences end, though. I've noticed the newer one having more muddled sound than the first. I've done a comparison between the two using the same music files and with the same headphones. The newer one has more bass but simultaneously more congested as well.

Is the sonical differences that I'm hearing due to firmware, burn in-related or did you alter the sound signature with newer M0s? The difference is pretty obvious. I must say I like the older revision's sound characteristics a lot more. The newer one sounds considerably more congested as I stated before. Will burn-in help some? :triportsad:

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #4,155 of 6,418
Do the digital filters affect the sound at all with headphones directly connected to the 3.5mm jack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back