Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Apr 20, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #377 of 6,418
Imagine running on a treadmill with some BT earphones and scrolling through this device on a wrist strap. That is this device. The UI is well designed and the touchscreen is nimble. It will be the athelete's dream dap.

Touchscreens don't work as well when you're sweaty (at least capacitive ones). One of the reasons my Garmin 645 (which is ACTUALLY the athlete's dream DAP) uses hardware buttons for its controls.

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #379 of 6,418
Touchscreens don't work as well when you're sweaty (at least capacitive ones). One of the reasons my Garmin 645 (which is ACTUALLY the athlete's dream DAP) uses hardware buttons for its controls.
Your Garmin 645 has a 3.5 mm headphone socket? BT quality is not yet a match for a good wired connection. I'm not knocking your choice of dream DAP (my Gear S3 also does BT), but a DAP that can only use BT isn't so much a dream as a nightmare for me.

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #380 of 6,418
Your Garmin 645 has a 3.5 mm headphone socket? BT quality is not yet a match for a good wired connection. I'm not knocking your choice of dream DAP (my Gear S3 also does BT), but a DAP that can only use BT isn't so much a dream as a nightmare for me.

Well, firstly, it is a match at this point as a communication protocol, though you're very limited on your high quality BT headphone options, which is surely a real limiting factor.

But more importantly, we were talking about music while working out. Did you read the post I was replying to? Plates crashing, cars driving by, treadmill sounds, etc. will all have a bigger impact on sound quality during a workout than how the music is served to your ears. I don't use my Garmin for critical listening, I was responding to someone referring to using this on a treadmill with Bluetooth claiming that it's a dream device for those situations, which I disagree with. For me, a workout dream device tracks workout stats while having me not need an extra device. I don't need to be able to listen critically when I'm working out.

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #381 of 6,418
I’m feeling the red, but blue is quite snazzy as well!
Dude - we're totally in sync!
For me, probably will go with red, and blue is my 2nd favorite :)
Only concern with red - some manufacturers use some faded shade that almost look pink... I wanna make sure it is a "Ferrari Red" !
Ferrari Red.jpeg

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #382 of 6,418
Dude - we're totally in sync!
For me, probably will go with red, and blue is my 2nd favorite :)
Only concern with red - some manufacturers use some faded shade that almost look pink... I wanna make sure it is a "Ferrari Red" !

If the aluminum has a really smooth surface, then anodizing it red should be rich red looking.

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #384 of 6,418
If the aluminum has a really smooth surface, then anodizing it red should be rich red looking.
@Shanling - can you confirm the red would be rich looking and not faded / pink-like?
(if so - I am in for the red!! :))

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #385 of 6,418
Well, firstly, it is a match at this point as a communication protocol, though you're very limited on your high quality BT headphone options, which is surely a real limiting factor.

But more importantly, we were talking about music while working out. Did you read the post I was replying to? Plates crashing, cars driving by, treadmill sounds, etc. will all have a bigger impact on sound quality during a workout than how the music is served to your ears. I don't use my Garmin for critical listening, I was responding to someone referring to using this on a treadmill with Bluetooth claiming that it's a dream device for those situations, which I disagree with. For me, a workout dream device tracks workout stats while having me not need an extra device. I don't need to be able to listen critically when I'm working out.

I recently heard the ATH-DSR9BT (according to Jude - the best-sounding BT headset and the first wireless headphone that can compete with wired). I usually trust Jude's judgement on these things, but IMHO, the DSR9BT absolutely sucks - it has a horrible tinny SQ. But I agree with you that there could be situations (running/cycling in or near heavy traffic) where BT SQ would be good enough. That's only part of the problem with BT though. There are other issues like remembering to keep your BT headphones charged; trying to avoiding drop-outs whenever the headphones get between you and the transmitter (which often involves wearing your watch on the opposite wrist or other silly shenanigans), and more prolonged dropouts/disconnects... I was out with some Bose Soundsport Free a few days ago and they randomly disconnected. It turns out that with these particular headphones there's no way to re-do the BT pairing without the charging case, which, by that point I'd left at home. So for a couple of hours I was stuck with a fully-charged pair of BT headphones that I couldn't use. It would be beyond frustrating to have a DAP with no option to ever plug in a 3.5 mm headset. Sure, BT can sometimes be convenient and good enough, but even if there are limited scenarios where it works, a DAP (or a phone - yes Apple, I'm looking at you) that doesn't even give you the option to go hardwired?!? I don't see how any headfi member could ever consider that to be a dream DAP. Maybe a dream workout device, sure, but a DAP's for more than just your workout. We're probably going to have to agree to disagree about BT.

Besides, the M0 still has BT as an option. If you want to use BT, you can just clip the M0 to your shirt, right next to your heaphones' BT receiver and then use the BT remote on the headphones. I don't think it's fair to criticize the M0 for its lack of heart-rate monitor; that's not what it was built for.

P.S. Getting slightly off-topic here - the ATH-DSR9BT has this interesting little marketing gimmick - it's advertised as having no DAC, but instead, it has a "Pure Digital Drive". What a load of BS! Do people really fall for crap like this? :wink: Ok, that question was rhetorical, and the answer is, of course, yes. Even ATH fell for it. It's technology they licensed from a Japanese company and none of the three ATH techs I spoke to even knew what it was doing - they just licensed the tech and threw it in their headphones. So, yes, even the ATH engineers fell for this crap.

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #386 of 6,418
I recently heard the ATH-DSR9BT (according to Jude - the best-sounding BT headset and the first wireless headphone that can compete with wired). I usually trust Jude's judgement on these things, but IMHO, the DSR9BT absolutely sucks - it has a horrible tinny SQ.

Both APT-X and LDAC can trasmit bit-rates well above the threshold of audibility. But then you do have all of the equipment and transducers at the far end that have to be up to the task. I really like my Sony MDR-1ABT headphones, but they're not my favorite cans. There is definitely a limiting factor when it comes to BT, I wouldn't disagree with that at all. I just think it's the transducers on your head, not the transmission format that's limiting you. In the end, I guess that doesn't really matter, if you're limited by something, you're limited. Those particular cans aren't even all that well reviewed, but I guess Jude likes them.

...There are other issues like remembering to keep your BT headphones charged; trying to avoiding drop-outs whenever the headphones get between you and the transmitter (which often involves wearing your watch on the opposite wrist or other silly shenanigans), and more prolonged dropouts/disconnects...

For sure. My headphones occasionally cut a bit when I reach to the water bottles in the fuel belt on my back, but other than that, I don't ever lose my connection. And I'm using $20 iems to replace some $30 Sony's I had previously. I'm really looking forward to trying out these guys: https://www.sony.com/electronics/truly-wireless/wf-sp700n

Might I have my one headphone that will work in 90% of my listening situations (and basically 100% of the times that I'm not sitting at my desk?)

.I was out with some Bose Soundsport Free a few days ago and they randomly disconnected. It turns out that with these particular headphones there's no way to re-do the BT pairing without the charging case, which, by that point I'd left at home. So for a couple of hours I was stuck with a fully-charged pair of BT headphones that I couldn't use. It would be beyond frustrating to have a DAP with no option to ever plug in a 3.5 mm headset. Sure, BT can sometimes be convenient and good enough, but even if there are limited scenarios where it works, a DAP (or a phone - yes Apple, I'm looking at you) that doesn't even give you the option to go hardwired?!? I don't see how any headfi member could ever consider that to be a dream DAP. Maybe a dream workout device, sure, but a DAP's for more than just your workout. We're probably going to have to agree to disagree about BT.

I would have wanted to strangle someone if that happened to me. But again, I didn't say it was a "Dream DAP," I can take your point, though. A dream "Athlete's" DAP, as the responder I was replying to was referring, would probably mean during and after workouts.

That's not what I was saying, but I probably mis-interpreted the person to whom I was replying. That said, I think most headfi members are downright delusional when they pick a DAP, and so no, for the average headfier, there is no situation they would use my Garmin 645 Music. But it's ABSOLUTELY my dream workout DAP. I have to drive to where I run. I can leave my keys (woo keyless entry) my phone, anything wired, all in the truck. All I have is my watch and some wireless iems. That made me irrationally happy the first time I used this watch for my music.

Besides, the M0 still has BT as an option. If you want to use BT, you can just clip the M0 to your shirt, right next to your heaphones' BT receiver and then use the BT remote on the headphones. I don't think it's fair to criticize the M0 for its lack of heart-rate monitor; that's not what it was built for.

I don't think it's a criticism to say that it's not a dream DAP for athletics. As you say, that's not what it's built for. What I am saying is that it's not the dream device in that situation BECAUSE that's not what it was built for. It also costs WAY less than the Garmin 645 Music. But if we're calling out devices as "Dream" devices for certain situations, to me that says price is no object. I'm actually about 90% sure I'm going to get one of these (if there was a stainless or blue metal Hiby R3, I'd go that route, but there isn't, and I think this is a really sexy little ipod nano alternative), point is, I'm not criticizing, but I disagree with the characterization as "Dream" level device for that particular use case.

Do people really fall for crap like this? :wink: Ok, that question was rhetorical, and the answer is, of course, yes.

This is a hobby where people fall for literally insane marketing claims as a rule. :k701smile:

Apr 20, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #387 of 6,418
Reggie sounds like he needs someone to revive the MotoActv and make it the love child between the M0 and 735XT.

Actually, I think I'd love to see that too. :L3000:

And funny... For the geek I am, I am. Just seeing the FR645 for the first time. My best MotoActv successor was the Amazfit Pace. Actually worked pretty well for music and running. But the active screen would only display 3 metrics. The static would display more but everytime I'd go to look at it, the static would go away and leave me with 3. Plus it wasn't the nicest looking daily driver. The 645 seems like a winner except I need my computer to transfer music which I'm not happy with. If I could connect it to my phone, then we'd be talking. It does sound like what TomTom wishes their watches could be. Their designs are bad as is their BT implementation. And they've done music for a few years now. Glad I ditched them after their first gen.

I have my OG vivoactive and 735XT. I'll have to keep my eye out for a deal on the 645. For now I'll stick to local music on my IconX. I did concert my M1 case to a finger strap back so I can slip it on two fingers and have it rest in my palm while running without having to grip it.

It is funny that 6 or 7 yrs have passed since the MotoActv came out, and android wear isn't as seamless. TomTom doesn't cut it. The Amazfit doesn't cut it. Garmin is kinda the closest thing to succeeding it with the 645. And Garmin, like Amazfit, is smart. Transreflective color screen for the best battery life. Where all the other "smartwatches" out there fail. Sony was the only other company to get that right.

My issue with the 645 though is the cost along with no multisport mode, no power meter support and limited ant+ support. It's 2018. Why can't my fitness watch glean info from the gym machine I'm on to record my workout. Be it the treadmill, spin bike, elliptical and so on. It is a big jump in price to get music. And I'd rather see it closer to the size of the 935 to add at the very least a larger battery.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #388 of 6,418
I have a Bluetooth Receiver that is smaller than the Sansa Clip+.. It can receive APT X HD. With the HD version of APTX, sound is excellent. Of course this lets me use any Good IEM, so that makes the sound even better.

But with a DAP as small as the M0, as long as you have your music there, I don't see a need for bluetooth headphones. Just use good earphones directly connected. Put the M0 in a pocket or into an arm strap...

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #390 of 6,418
Hello to everyone, I just ordered a M0 in red... Sorry if this question was already answered.
Is it possible to scrobbling music with M0 to lastfm (directly or with some workaround)?

Thanks.
unfortunately not at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back