Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 19, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #3,661 of 6,418
If you find it problematic, yes, please reach out to your seller.

You need matching LRC file and then on now playing screen, one click to bring up playback controls and swipe to third screen. It's included in Advanced user manual.

Reply gain is planned in update.

We don't have any plans to asset wheel to any other functions.

Can I get response, if other users are having similar problem with wheel? IT was sometimes present on older generation of players, but not on M0.

Also, if there is such problem with wheel, it's caused by the wheel mechanism, not software.

If you can confirm the M0 will get the vertical volume slider and + - for volume change like the video shows for MTouch 2.0 for M5S then changing volume with the scroll wheel will become a non-issue. Adding replaygain will also help of course reducing the need to change volume from track to track

On side of M0, with USB C headphones, there is nothing to set. Either the headphones are willing to communicate and don't need too much from USB port, then M0 works just fine, or they ask for some special drivers and too much power, neither which can M0 do.

I will try Mobius on upcoming Canjam Shanghai. I don't know much about them, like if they advertise compatibility with portable devices(that would tell us about demands on power) and how exactly is it set up with all their special functions.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #3,662 of 6,418
Some people here say they are not satisfied with the wheel and the volume control.
For me this is the best pocket control I ever had with a dap.
What I am missing is like others replay gain (seems to come) and import/export of favorites.

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #3,664 of 6,418
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #3,665 of 6,418
My written review of the excellent little M0 is posted. Video forthcoming.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/shanling-m0.23172/reviews

Extensive and pleasant to read review, thanks for taking the time to write it.

I am somewhat confused by what you call the 'Shanling House Sound'. M5, M3s, M1 and M0 use key components from completely different manufactures (Analog Devices, AKM, ESS). I was also not aware before that deep bass is a factor of DAP price.

Oct 19, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #3,666 of 6,418
Hi Shanling and all

Two questions, maybe the same:
1- when updating from 2.1 to 2.2, ¿do you lose what was already configured and customized?
2- ¿there is any way to make a backup of the current configuration?

merry christmas

Oct 19, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #3,667 of 6,418
Extensive and pleasant to read review, thanks for taking the time to write it.

I am somewhat confused by what you call the 'Shanling House Sound'. M5, M3s, M1 and M0 use key components from completely different manufactures (Analog Devices, AKM, ESS). I was also not aware before that deep bass is a factor of DAP price.

Thank you, for the compliment. As for what I call the "Shanling House Sound," to me it means a warmer than neutral signature with good reach of bass, and a decently wide sound stage. If I were to compare my M5 to the FiiO x5iii; the Shanling would purvey a warmer signature to that of the FiiO, which is a more neutral sound to me. And, to me the x5iii has a more analytical sound than the Shanling's. Yes, I know that is simply me, but that is how I hear it.

As for deep bass and a factor of price, I'm not sure I actually stated something of that sort. It just so happens that as you move up the "food chain," to me I hear a cleaner bass sound, and depending upon which DAP it is, a deeper reach. If I insinuated the bass/price factor, apologies. And if I had to "grade" reach of bass in the Shanling's I would be hard pressed to determine which of the M5 or M3s goes deeper. That said in a quick and dirty back to back test just now (previously volume matched, so I already know where to set each volume), I would say that the M3s goes a bit deeper, but the M5 bass is cleaner with more clarity on Santana's African Bamba (using the BGVP DMG IEM). Hope this helps, and thanks again for the compliment.

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #3,668 of 6,418
Hi All, @Shanling , I got the M0 to use with BT HF Sennheiser PXC 550, because my iOS devices do not support BT aptx and PXC 550 does not support BT AAC.
However the SQ from MacBook Pro with aptx to PXC 550 sounds so much better than M0 with aptx to PXC 550. The SQ of PXC 550 with M0 is bright and slightly harsh. This makes M0 practically unusable for the purpose i bought it for.
The EQ settings on PXC 550 are off/flat.
The songs i play on M0 are FLAC , AAC , MP3 (320).

Any suggestions how do i get the same good SQ from M0 i get from Macbook Pro ?

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #3,669 of 6,418
Shanling
I have a tiny recommendation for the scrolling speed:

Is it possible to slow down the scrolling speed when scrolling quickly?

I know it's made to scroll fast since the screen is so small, but there's already a "quick scroll tool" on the right side of the screen.
In other words, the Alphabet searcher. It goes through lists fast enough, so I don't think making the 'quick scroll' speed very fast would be productive.
Many thanks!

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #3,670 of 6,418
Btw, I think having a more "cheap" and traditional tpu or plastic case that covered the whole M0 and protected its corners from scratches would be awesome, @Shanling any chance we could see some of those?

Also, are there screen protectors for the M0? I like to have my devices in the run and in pockets, while also mantaining them like new, so that whole body and screen protection would be awesome to make the device last more in its actual perfect polished state.

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #3,671 of 6,418
I notice that when I play music, the music always fades in and the end of the song is cut out for some reason.
This gets annoying, as some of my songs have a great end to them :S
Is there a solution to these problems?

Btw, I think having a more "cheap" and traditional tpu or plastic case that covered the whole M0 and protected its corners from scratches would be awesome, @Shanling any chance we could see some of those?

Also, are there screen protectors for the M0? I like to have my devices in the run and in pockets, while also mantaining them like new, so that whole body and screen protection would be awesome to make the device last more in its actual perfect polished state.

No screen protector, sadly. Probably because the player uses a curved screen. Though, you can get yourself a screen protector to cut out and use instead.

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #3,672 of 6,418
Thank you, for the compliment. As for what I call the "Shanling House Sound," to me it means a warmer than neutral signature with good reach of bass, and a decently wide sound stage. If I were to compare my M5 to the FiiO x5iii; the Shanling would purvey a warmer signature to that of the FiiO, which is a more neutral sound to me. And, to me the x5iii has a more analytical sound than the Shanling's. Yes, I know that is simply me, but that is how I hear it.

I appreciate that and I understand you are hearing similarities. It is still somewhat surprising to me they achieved this on such different hardware. But I suppose if that is what Shanling is designing for, they better have some continuity going so that makes sense.

As for deep bass and a factor of price, I'm not sure I actually stated something of that sort.

I was refering to this: Deep of bass reach (not superbly deep, but for this price, excellent)

Not sure what 'Deep of bass reach' exactly is, I am fairly new to the vocabulary used in audio reviews, but I read it as a bass-related quality that apparently gets better with more expensive devices.

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #3,673 of 6,418
No go for external playlist

Using Media Monkey to sync the playlist to the M0 and manually editing the path to match @Shanling suggestion I still get File Not Found error.

1. Created Playlists folder at root
2. Synced the playlist from Media Monkey
3. updated the path to each track as eg ..\music\Five For Fighting\Bookmarks\03. Rebel.flac. Media Monkey syncs the playlist.m3u to the playlists folder but leaves off the .. which I added in front of each track entry. All other path information is correct. Media Monkey also of course adds all the playlist tracks again even thought they are already on the M0 so I would need to delete duplicate tracks.

Would appreciate it if someone could post an actual path to a working playlist on their M0. This is assuming a standard folder hierarchy of music\artist\album\track

I have to say this frustration makes me miss the simplicity of creating playlists on my A17 using MediaGo software. Even if I can get the path figured out having to manually edit the path to every track on every playlist would suck not to mention duplicate tracks. External playlists is a feature I really want to have but doing this much work every time may not be worth it. I might have to give the Sony A55 a serious look once it is released.

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #3,674 of 6,418

What you are trying to do sounds very complicated. But my folder set up might be quite different.

I have a Flac and an Mp3 dir in th root of my sd card. In each I have various dirs, one for each album.

In foobar2000 I add some of the album dirs to the player and save those as an m3u file in either the Flac or the Mp3 dir (so same level as the album dirs). In your example the .m3u playlist file would end up in the music dir. No need for ..\ in the m3u, all albums are relatove to the m3u file. If you want it in your playlist dir you need the ..\music\ prefix indeed. I do not sync or anything, just save/copy the m3u file. No idea whst synching would even do.

I open the .m3u file in folder mode by just clicking it.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #3,675 of 6,418

Using Media Monkey to sync the playlist to the M0 and manually editing the path to match @Shanling suggestion I still get File Not Found error.

1. Created Playlists folder at root
2. Synced the playlist from Media Monkey
3. updated the path to each track as eg ..\music\Five For Fighting\Bookmarks\03. Rebel.flac. Media Monkey syncs the playlist.m3u to the playlists folder but leaves off the .. which I added in front of each track entry. All other path information is correct. Media Monkey also of course adds all the playlist tracks again even thought they are already on the M0 so I would need to delete duplicate tracks.

Would appreciate it if someone could post an actual path to a working playlist on their M0. This is assuming a standard folder hierarchy of music\artist\album\track

I have to say this frustration makes me miss the simplicity of creating playlists on my A17 using MediaGo software. Even if I can get the path figured out having to manually edit the path to every track on every playlist would suck not to mention duplicate tracks. External playlists is a feature I really want to have but doing this much work every time may not be worth it. I might have to give the Sony A55 a serious look once it is released.

Does MediaMonkey's "use relative paths" option not provide the correct path automatically? Also, maybe check or uncheck the "Linux file separator" option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back