Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 8, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #2,461 of 6,418
Hi. Thanks for replying.
Please could you double check this statement, and maybe get your engineers to compare the output with android UAPP.
I really don't think the output is bit perfect as it sounds noticeably worse than when using UAPP in bit perfect mode. It's also worth noting that UAPP sounds slightly worse when not in bit perfect mode and a DAC connected to an Android phone sounds worse still if you use a different media player other than UAPP entirely.

In bit perfect mode UAPP bypasses the EQ entirely. This is similar to the 'Source Direct' or 'Bypass' switch you might find on an amplifier. These switches result in a sound quality improvement because the EQ circuitry is removed from the signal path.
When using the m0 the EQ settings are still active, implying that the data is going through EQ software. - whether or not you set it to OFF or not does not change this.

This is what the author of UAPP said about bit perfect mode:

'Without the bit-perfect option enabled, all audio that is read from the file is converted to 32-bit floating point and then converted to the appropriate 16/24/32 bit integer format when sending to the DAC (after optional processing that you chose like EQ, balance,upsampling). This leads to an error for about 20 or so out of 16.7 million values that are 1 bit 'off'.'

It would great if you could get the best sound quality possible out of the m0 as I'm sure many potential owners would be connecting it to external DACs.

Thanks.

First question, can you tell me, what cable are you using with M0? On previous models, we had some people using random cheap cables from Ebay, which resulted in less than ideal sound. I remember one case, where such cable made Mojo into super bass heavy device. Changing to Shanling L2 cable fixed it.

Secondly, M0 is not running Android, so there are no errors of system that UAPP is trying to fix.

Thirdly, EQ setting is not "still active", it only activates when you enable EQ.

Also, now going more into audiophile side of thing, different transports can sound differently. But on that note, I don't think we were getting any reports of M0 sounding subpar and we have a lot of people using it with different DACs.

I only have my Apple Airpods, I tried with them and the m0 showed AAC on the top bar. That's so weird. So, do you think this is something Sony should be aware of? Are there any people using Sony's bluetooth speakers with LDAC? Can you guys see the LDAC logo on the top bar when you connected? Also what is the difference between LDAC-Connect(Auto) and LDAC-HQ? I want to get the best audio quality possible!

So earpods works fine and just your SOny speaker is misbehaving?
Can you tell us, which speakers exactly are you using? There are other users with M0 and Sony speakers and seems to be doing just fine.

Can you charge M0 while also using it as Bluetooth dac?

No, charging only in usb mode (already wrote in this thread).

When using M0 as Bluetooth receiver, of course you can charge it with standard USB charger.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 8, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #2,462 of 6,418
First question, can you tell me, what cable are you using with M0? On previous models, we had some people using random cheap cables from Ebay, which resulted in less than ideal sound. I remember one case, where such cable made Mojo into super bass heavy device. Changing to Shanling L2 cable fixed it.

Secondly, M0 is not running Android, so there are no errors of system that UAPP is trying to fix.

Thirdly, EQ setting is not "still active", it only activates when you enable EQ.

Also, now going more into audiophile side of thing, different transports can sound differently. But on that note, I don't think we were getting any reports of M0 sounding subpar and we have a lot of people using it with different DACs

Hi,

I have used the same cable connecting mojo to m0 as I do to connect mojo to android phone. There is no fault with the cable.

How can a transport possibly make any difference to sound quality if all it is doing is reading digital data from an SD card and sending it to a USB socket? How exactly?
The ONY way it can change the sound is if that digital digital data is being manipulated somehow - resampled or converted.

I am not saying the m0 sounds bad as a transport at all. It is just that a phone running UAPP sounds noticeably better because the data is sent bit perfect.
Currently anyone using m0 as a transport would get better sound quality using an android phone and UAPP. I would really appreciate if you and your engineers would also compare with UAPP so you can hear the difference for yourselves.

I would love to keep the m0 as it is a great size to pair with mojo but sound quality is obviously my priority.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #2,463 of 6,418
I’m using UAPP, and the M0 sounds markedly better than the handset... is it maybe that you just don’t like the special sauce in the SQ of the M0?

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #2,465 of 6,418
Im using wh-1000xm2 and it always shows LDAC at the top right corner when paired. Here's the speed of most bt codecs LDAC HQ - 990kbps. LDAC normal - 660kbps AptX HD - 576kbps AptX - 352kbps. LDAC Connection - 330kbps.

Maybe they just forgot the logo or maybe they cant show the logo?
I only have my Apple Airpods, I tried with them and the m0 showed AAC on the top bar. That's so weird. So, do you think this is something Sony should be aware of? Are there any people using Sony's bluetooth speakers with LDAC? Can you guys see the LDAC logo on the top bar when you connected? Also what is the difference between LDAC-Connect(Auto) and LDAC-HQ? I want to get the best audio quality possible!

Is the LDAC logo suppose to be on the M0 screen?

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #2,466 of 6,418
Maybe they just forgot the logo or maybe they cant show the logo?

Is the LDAC logo suppose to be on the M0 screen?

Any time M0 BT is connected properly and is streaming music to headphones/speakers, there is logo of used codec displayed in top corner next to battery.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 9, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #2,467 of 6,418
Any time M0 BT is connected properly and is streaming music to headphones/speakers, there is logo of used codec displayed in top corner next to battery.

OK then mine only shows the Bluetooth icon not an LDAC one using a Sony SRS-X11.
I've tried all LDAC settings.

Maybe the SRS-X11 isnt LDAC? :) Just checking.....

Ah found the info and It's not :)

I'm going to get a SRS-X33 which has LDAC so will test this out.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #2,470 of 6,418
Aug 9, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #2,471 of 6,418
I'm not sure how this speaker works. But, with Bose you have to cycle through the input sources (using bluetooth button) and make sure that it reads out "Connected to <Device Name>" to complete the connection. Eventhough it says "Connected" in the source (iPhone, M0, A17 etc)
It's just like holding down the bluetooth button for 5 sec and connecting to the device. I reset the memory and connected only mO and nothing changed. Maybe the LDAC code M0 use and Sony uses are little different, so the speaker can't see that it's connected to an LDAC capable device. Could this be the reason @Shanling ?

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #2,472 of 6,418
OK then mine only shows the Bluetooth icon not an LDAC one using a Sony SRS-X11.
I've tried all LDAC settings.

Maybe the SRS-X11 isnt LDAC? :) Just checking.....

Ah found the info and It's not :)

I'm going to get a SRS-X33 which has LDAC so will test this out.

Yeah I have the SRS-XB20 which is LDAC and it wasn't showing the LDAC logo. Out of curiosity I unpaired the M0 from the speaker and did the pairing again and now the LDAC logo does show up. Not sure what happened the first time. I will try and do the same with my other Sony speaker and Sony receiver and see if it works for them as well

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #2,473 of 6,418
Yeah I have the SRS-XB20 which is LDAC and it wasn't showing the LDAC logo. Out of curiosity I unpaired the M0 from the speaker and did the pairing again and now the LDAC logo does show up. Not sure what happened the first time. I will try and do the same with my other Sony speaker and Sony receiver and see if it works for them as well
which LDAC setting are you using? HQ, Connect or Auto?

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #2,474 of 6,418
Here is the specs for the speaker, so it does support LDAC:

upload_2018-8-9_12-8-31.png

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #2,475 of 6,418
which LDAC setting are you using? HQ, Connect or Auto?

Yeah deleting the pairings and redoing them worked for both Sony speakers and my Sony receiver. The first time it took multiple attempts for all 3 devices to get paired. The second time it was very quick and easy. Both times I used connect, as HQ is overkill and has the least reliable connection in my experience even with my Sony A17. I don't use auto as I don't always want it to try and connect to my devices. If my wife is using the M0 I will use my A17 and don't want the M0 to try to auto connect. Bluetooth with my A17 is fully manual, a bit of a pain but I got use to it.

Interestingly I don't notice any improvement in sound quality or operating range with the LDAC logo now showing up on the M0. It does give me piece of mind though knowing everything is setup the way it is suppose to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back