Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #2,296 of 6,413
I vote you to be the most helpful one here! Well done!
Just because shanling is active on the thread doesn't mean they have to answer a question that has answers floating around the thread. That said, I am also curious about the max number of songs in the favourite tab (something that has not been answered yet)

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #2,297 of 6,413
Just because shanling is active on the thread doesn't mean they have to answer a question that has answers floating around the thread. That said, I am also curious about the max number of songs in the favourite tab (something that has not been answered yet)

Sorry. I’ll be sure to search the thread to see if I can find something.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #2,298 of 6,413
How do you guys use the playlists?

I find them rather useless. As far as I know you can not rename them to something logical, order the tracks, or modify them in any other useful way. Am I supposed to remember what is in Playlist4 or Playlist17 just from the number. Sure, I can look at the contents for each but once you have several that gets annoying fast.

I would prefer m3u file support and being able to manage these playlists when the M0 is connected to a PC with USB.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #2,299 of 6,413
Hmm, can’t find my answer by searching. :frowning2:

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #2,300 of 6,413
How do you guys use the playlists?

I find them rather useless. As far as I know you can not rename them to something logical, order the tracks, or modify them in any other useful way. Am I supposed to remember what is in Playlist4 or Playlist17 just from the number. Sure, I can look at the contents for each but once you have several that gets annoying fast.

I would prefer m3u file support and being able to manage these playlists when the M0 is connected to a PC with USB.
I'm hoping the former gets addressed with their version of the Hiby phone app; when it gets released and is hopefully not something that is constantly 6 months away from being 6 months away to getting released.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #2,303 of 6,413
I'm hoping the former gets addressed with their version of the Hiby phone app; when it gets released and is hopefully not something that is constantly 6 months away from being 6 months away to getting released.

Has such an app been announced or promised? All I can find is claims/posts that M0 runs their own OS and that allows them to add any features they want.

(The M0 runs Linux btw, not Shanling's own OS. The firmware looks very similar to previous Shanling players but with their own player application instead of hiby-player)

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #2,304 of 6,413
Has such an app been announced or promised? All I can find is claims/posts that M0 runs their own OS and that allows them to add any features they want.

(The M0 runs Linux btw, not Shanling's own OS. The firmware looks very similar to previous Shanling players but with their own player application instead of hiby-player)
The M0 runs Shanling's own in house OS. It is their first player to do so and will be the basis of their future players.

And yes, they are on record for creating their equivalent of the Hiby app. We just haven't seen a time frame.

Seems like you should read through more of this thread, or at least the earlier parts of it.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #2,305 of 6,413
Mine arrived today. It's so small. Going to use it for my new job

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #2,306 of 6,413
The M0 runs Shanling's own in house OS. It is their first player to do so and will be the basis of their future players.

And yes, they are on record for creating their equivalent of the Hiby app. We just haven't seen a time frame.

Seems like you should read through more of this thread, or at least the earlier parts of it.

Sorry, but I unpacked the firmware file and compared it to that of the M2s. This is from the M0:

Image Name: Linux-3.10.14-svn208
Image Type: MIPS Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)

The structure and the contents of the M0 and M2s firmware is very similar.

Where the M2s runs /usr/bin/hiby-player, the M0 runs /usr/bin/shanling-play.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,307 of 6,413
Sorry, but I unpacked the firmware file and compared it to that of the M2s. This is from the M0:

Don't really care what you've unpacked. Shanling "licensed" their OS from Hiby for their previous players. And Linux isn't a brand of OS. I'm sorry you're late to the party, and I'm not going to spoon feed you the particular posts. Start reading this thread from the beginning and stop making assumptions on what you think is right. Not like I'm pulling the info out of my ass. But I've been a part of this thread from the start.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #2,308 of 6,413

Interesting. I wonder if shanling-play is the beta of their Hiby-link app (the Shanling equivalent of it)?

@paddler57 - unnecessarily hostile dude.

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #2,309 of 6,413
I took the reply as little hostile so I came back but pointed. Mentioned to read earlier in the thread as Shanling has clearly mentioned this is their home grown OS. Doesn't matter if it's Linux based or not. It's still theirs. If you're coming into this thread late in the game and not reading anything older, then you should since topics of conversation have greatly changed from before the M0 was available to now when many have them in hand.

Side note. I have a green Acco clip if you want it.

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #2,310 of 6,413
If you're coming into this thread late in the game and not reading anything older, then you should since topics of conversation have greatly changed from before the M0 was available to now when many have them in hand

I read the topic from the start. It convinced me to buy the M0.

There is no need for you to believe me. There are a lot of players using a similar approach. A Linux operating system but their own player application. I am not disputing Shanling made their own player application, the basic Linux framework no doubt comes from the company supplying the SoC (my guess would be Ingenic).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back