Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 3, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,713 of 6,418
Oh I prefer the Shanling, I don’t really stream and I think it sounds better, plus it’s so tiny!

R3 is nice, but I don’t need tidal.
I'll be using as transport into iFi Micro iDSD BL. I'll probably buy both also. Why not? The MO is only 100 bucks.
When I'm traveling, I probably listen 40% music, 40% talk radio, & 20% streamed music. I received my BL a couple hours ago. Have Note 8 hooked up via USB. Headphones are Beyerdynamic DT1770 (needed closed back). Sounds GREAT! Very revealing, some may not like that. Whatever is on the recording is what you get. Anyway, I want to free up my phone, that's why I'm looking for a DAP.

Jul 3, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #1,714 of 6,418
I'll be using as transport into iFi Micro iDSD BL. I'll probably buy both also. Why not? The MO is only 100 bucks.
When I'm traveling, I probably listen 40% music, 40% talk radio, & 20% streamed music. I received my BL a couple hours ago. Have Note 8 hooked up via USB. Headphones are Beyerdynamic DT1770 (needed closed back). Sounds GREAT! Very revealing, some may not like that. Whatever is on the recording is what you get. Anyway, I want to free up my phone, that's why I'm looking for a DAP.

I was just surprised by how good the tiny M0 sounds. I wasn’t expecting it to sound better than R3 based on its size. Just goes to show the old adage ‘you can’t judge a book by it’s cover’ is so true.

M0 is like having a nice sound system literally in the palm of your hand.

Jul 3, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #1,715 of 6,418
I was just surprised by how good the tiny M0 sounds. I wasn’t expecting it to sound better than R3 based on its size. Just goes to show the old adage ‘you can’t judge a book by it’s cover’ is so true.

Well, I was going to buy one today, but, everyone is sold out. lol And, who knows when the R3 will be available. No biggy, I'm in no hurry. The Note 8 will work for now.

Jul 3, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #1,717 of 6,418

yep i am enjoying mine as we chat it just gets better using it with my HD 650 ...how the hell did they do it...it is definitely better sounding than the R3 its the treble and dynamic resolving sound i like

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,718 of 6,418
Well, I'm interested now. Went through all 115 pages, so at least I hope I'm not repeating anything that's been said before.

I guess I could consider this good timing since the headphone out on my Xduoo X3 finally died on me. Anybody have experience with both the X3 and M0 who might be able to speak on the differences in SQ? I really liked what I heard out of the X3 (enough to deal with it's abysmal UI), so really hoping the M0 is a worthy upgrade...whenever I happen to find one in stock. For now, I'll just use the headphone out on my OnePlus 6, underpowered as it may be.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #1,719 of 6,418
Well I've just tried it with the comets that arrived today and it's an awesome combo!

As a plus they come with 2 little baggies, which are a perfect fit for the M0 and the commets. The M0 even fits in the CA zip case along with the phones and wires... its like they were made to go together :wink:

Although I now just wish there was a mirror polished M0 to match too! What do you say, special edition Polished Stainless Steel version as your next Shanling release?
20180704_000048~2.jpg
20180704_000712~2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #1,720 of 6,418
I must admit a pro Shanling bias. I really liked my original M2, even though it would freeze sometimes. Subsequent units were better for reliability, both the M1 and M2S. The M2S is very solid in particular in terms of reliability. I had to revert to firmware 3.0 because it had (for me) a better sleep / standby mode. I do like the sound of my Cayin N5II, but it just is not rock solid in terms of software and that matters to me. Its much better than it was, but not quite there yet.

But having admitted that, the M0 sounds really great. I love the small form factor. I have learned to keep my file folder names short to make scrolling. It sounds much clearer than the M1 and I like the standby mode. I have not tested it versus the M2S yet, but it may in fact sound better.

I do like the scroll wheel access a bit more than the touch screen. But for a small unit I think the touch screen is the way to go.

Sometimes the unit switched on its own from a mode where it played files sequentially to repeating files. Hopefully that its fixed in 2.1.

Also with firmware 2.0 sometimes the volume could accidentally go to 100. I don't yet know about 2.1. I also had to do restarts from time to time as things become unresponsive with 2.0.

I do have the clear plastic clip case on order.

My unit is blue; we all know that those sound the best .... :)

I use it mainly with my LZ-A2 and the Ibasso IT01.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #1,721 of 6,418
Any news on the possible introduction of a triple-click for the wheel button ?

Didn't set our mind about it yet.

Do you mean I was too soon to buy the m0 and not wait for other future models? :)

If you wanted tiny player for 100 USD, you made good choice. Other players will be quite different.

Anyone has similar issues when plugging the usb otg to the m0, the m0 doesn't recognise the external dac. I have to plug the otg (without the usb csble), then plug the cable into the otg then it connects. If i leave the otg connected to the usb csnle, it never ever recognise the dsc no matter how mamy time i unplug amd plug on the usb c into the m0.

This can change DAC from DAC.

Like just a shortcut to put the unit to full volume. The once you unplugged it- it would go back to normal headphone listening levels - whatever you had it set to before.

If we do this, we would get complains from all the people that use it as line out as standard.
And, quick way how to get to full volume, if you want, you can just move slider to 100 with one touch.

Wow, everyone is sold out of the MO. lol Looks like Shanling hit a homerun. No hurry, I can use my Note 8 as a transport when my iFi iDSD Micro BL gets here today. Hopefully, Shanling can get the whips out and restock all the stores soon. lol

All portable production is focused on M0. Trying our hardest to catch up.

Upgraded to 2.1 with no problems at all and works great.

Also when in USB DAC mode is it self powered from the USB bus from the laptop/PC or does it use it's own power and only receives the data from the laptop/PC?

In USB, it's runnig from battery, which is at the same time being charged by computer.

How about a screen prompt (touch) for turning off the player? I turned it off many times due to accidentally pressing the scroll wheel for a few seconds (e.g. player in my jeans pocket while I'm crouching tying my shoe laces, etc.) :)

Didn't think we would need this, will be on look out for more people asking for this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 3, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #1,723 of 6,418
yep i am enjoying mine as we chat it just gets better using it with my HD 650 ...how the hell did they do it...it is definitely better sounding than the R3 its the treble and dynamic resolving sound i like

Can it drive a high impedance Headphone?
I have a hd600. I know it's wattage is 80mw
But at low to moderate volumes will it drive the 600s with out an ext amp?
I have a zishan z3 at full volumes it can drive my cans easily (at least for my liking)

Jul 3, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #1,724 of 6,418
But this only happen with the m0.
Same dac, same cable, same otg. Tesyed with other dap and phone, all no such issue. Only m0...maybe can add an option to manually detect usb? Like how AK does?

Can you please tell me, what DAC is it?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 3, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #1,725 of 6,418
If you wanted tiny player for 100 USD, you made good choice. Other players will be quite different.
I would really love a bigger player, with touch screen, but VALUE oriented. In other words - PLEASE do not go to A&K price territory.... :astonished:
Maybe a $150-170 DAP with M2 screen size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back