Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 1, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #1,621 of 6,418
Just got mine. Very impressed! Update to 2.0 was easy. Luckily the 200GB Micro SD cards from my Questyle QP1R are formatted in FAT32 so I can listen right away to my library. I am unfamiliar with this type of UI though. I can find all my albums in the "folders" tab and this is basically how I use my QP1R. I just drag and drop album folders into the memory cards with it connected to my computer, very basic. But with the Shanling M0 I am not seeing anything in the selections under the "Now Playing" or "My Music" tabs. If I choose say "My Music" and select "Open All" or "Album" or "Artist" I see an "Update my Music" button which does nothing.
Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on to how these features can be accessed or used? Thanks!
FWIW I bought the QP1R because it sounded best to me, it is a reference sound quality DAP. But mine was been away to reattach its scroll wheel for a couple of months now and I decided I needed a backup player with a small form factor and this little wonder is perfect!

Jul 1, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,622 of 6,418
So how do these look in their cases?? Any good pics? I am still waiting for my black case to show up, it's been 9 days, and now it's in Germany, hoping it makes it here to Buffalo, New York by Christmas.
About ready to buy another in a different color now that they are available with Prime shipping, and want to see how the colors look on the unit.

Below is my black one in the black case

IMG_20180701_192249.jpg
IMG_20180701_192305.jpg
IMG_20180701_194042.jpg
IMG_20180701_194947.jpg
IMG_20180701_194015.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #1,623 of 6,418
After a week of using m0 it started bugging. Once it turned off while listening music, few hours later after turning it off (long vol. button press) and on again it resetted all settings to default and changing volume did nothing. Turning off and on again made it work again. Hope such things are just software issues and wont happen often. From other points, its a great device i really love to use. Got both cases ,leather and clip , today. Leather one feels solid and fits perfectly. Clip case also has good quality and m0 wont be lost.
Edit: after fully charging and listening for about 1.5 hours first with wireless headphones, then same hp , but wired, m0 turned off and i couldnt do anything to make it work again for few mins. Plugged it to pc with cable and after awhile i could turn it on. Also during listening music with wired headphones i heard glitches for a few seconds. This is going really weird now.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #1,624 of 6,418
For that matter there are a few settings in the "Playback" tab that I would like to see explained in greater detail. Just ordered a 256Gb Sandisc card for this little beast.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #1,628 of 6,418
@Shanling

My M0 is scheduled to ship to me from the Canadian dealer on July 9th. So I am assuming it shipped from a later batch, do you know if it will have firmware version 2.0 or will I need to update it? I already have the 2.0 firmware downloaded along with the new manual in preparation but it would be nice if it already shipped with the 2.0 firmware.

On another note, the users having freezing issues, could flashing the firmware to version 2.0 be causing the freeze up issues? I sold audiophile grade gear for many years and I have seen user firmware updates create problems on some devices, especially if it does not go smoothly.

Current run might be slight mix of firmware versions.

Got mine in blue and I am very satisfied, besides the screen tearing, does everybody else have this issue in scrolling the menu? And my volumeknob is acting a bit strange, when I use it to lower or higher volume it sometimes can go from ex. 45 to 43 on just one "click" on the wheel while highering the volume or reverse. Do I have a faulty device?
@Shanling

Tearing was addressed few times in this thread, we are trying to minimize it. Are you on firmware 2.0?
Wheel can have some slight inaccuracy.

While im waiting m0, I've got a question.
Does it support extra latin characters like è é ç ñ ø å etc, as well as cyrillic, greek, armenian, georgian scripts. Its very important thing for me. Thanks

We have some slight problems with these, need to work on our fonts.

Just got mine. Very impressed! Update to 2.0 was easy. Luckily the 200GB Micro SD cards from my Questyle QP1R are formatted in FAT32 so I can listen right away to my library. I am unfamiliar with this type of UI though. I can find all my albums in the "folders" tab and this is basically how I use my QP1R. I just drag and drop album folders into the memory cards with it connected to my computer, very basic. But with the Shanling M0 I am not seeing anything in the selections under the "Now Playing" or "My Music" tabs. If I choose say "My Music" and select "Open All" or "Album" or "Artist" I see an "Update my Music" button which does nothing.
Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on to how these features can be accessed or used? Thanks!
FWIW I bought the QP1R because it sounded best to me, it is a reference sound quality DAP. But mine was been away to reattach its scroll wheel for a couple of months now and I decided I needed a backup player with a small form factor and this little wonder is perfect!

For that matter there are a few settings in the "Playback" tab that I would like to see explained in greater detail. Just ordered a 256Gb Sandisc card for this little beast.

There is advanced user manual posted on first page with this info.Download here:

Advanced user manual (under development)

After a week of using m0 it started bugging. Once it turned off while listening music, few hours later after turning it off (long vol. button press) and on again it resetted all settings to default and changing volume did nothing. Turning off and on again made it work again. Hope such things are just software issues and wont happen often. From other points, its a great device i really love to use. Got both cases ,leather and clip , today. Leather one feels solid and fits perfectly. Clip case also has good quality and m0 wont be lost.
Edit: after fully charging and listening for about 1.5 hours first with wireless headphones, then same hp , but wired, m0 turned off and i couldnt do anything to make it work again for few mins. Plugged it to pc with cable and after awhile i could turn it on. Also during listening music with wired headphones i heard glitches for a few seconds. This is going really weird now.

Can you please tell me which version of firmware are you using? And can you try different mSD card to see if these problems will repeat?

@Shanling
Is there any explanation for the digital filter options? Would appreciate how they are different from technical perspective.

Well, you can search for any of the hundreds articles about digital filters in Audio. It's really long read and as always, different sides will have different view. You can start here for example: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/07/musings-digital-interpolation-filters.html

My advise, listen to different filters and choose which one you like the most. And if you don't hear the difference, you can let it out of your mind. I will just say, our stock filter is the "Minimum Slow".

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 2, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #1,631 of 6,418
Has anyone received their clip case yet? Not many pictures with the player in them.

Jul 2, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #1,632 of 6,418
I think my M0 occasionally freezing and the menu going into auto-pilot are linked to the microSD card. I fear the Shanling M0 has issues with read speeds.

I am using a SanDisk Ultra 400GB microSDXC Class 10. I can confirm the 100 MB/s read speed via Blackmagic Disk Speed Test. Fully loaded it still manages > 50 MB/s in a stress test. BUT when I insert it into the Shanling M0 and use the USB storage mode, speed drops down to 10-15 MB/s and sometimes lose the connection altogether ("not correctly removed").

The card is formatted in exFat, the macOS Disk Utility says that everything is in fine order. Mounting it normally in the iMac's card slot everything is fine, only if I use the included USB C cable errors occur and obviously the M0 has problems with the speed.

Could anybody kindly perform the Blackmagic stress test on his M0 with USB mode via cable and share the results? I will try to get my hands on a smaller microSD and try if the read speed improves.

Jul 2, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #1,635 of 6,418
I think my M0 occasionally freezing and the menu going into auto-pilot are linked to the microSD card. I fear the Shanling M0 has issues with read speeds.

I am using a SanDisk Ultra 400GB microSDXC Class 10. I can confirm the 100 MB/s read speed via Blackmagic Disk Speed Test. Fully loaded it still manages > 50 MB/s in a stress test. BUT when I insert it into the Shanling M0 and use the USB storage mode, speed drops down to 10-15 MB/s and sometimes lose the connection altogether ("not correctly removed").

This should be quite normal that the read/write speeds differ between dedicated USB card readers and a DAP that is connected via USB. For instance, the speeds that you observe with your card reader shows that the reader is using USB 3.x standards. I would guess that the M0 only supports USB 2.x transfers which would be in agreement with the observed lower transfer rates. I also see slower read/write speeds with my M0 than the used MicroSD card would support, but I don't have the freezes that you observe. So my guess is that the slow transfer speed and the freezes of the M0 are not directly related. I don't have connection losses on the USB connection however. Have you tried to use a different USB cable than the supplied one? Have you tried to connect the M0 to a different USB port on you computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back