Shanling M0 Pro - Ultra-Portable Hi-Fi Player, Now With Balanced Output!
Mar 24, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #331 of 825
How could I use 2.5mm balanced headphones?
Should I use Shanlings balanced adapter with a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter? Any other options?

You can use a 4.4mm (male) to 2.5mm (female) adapter with Shanling's balanced adapter for the M0 Pro. I use some of these adapters from DUNU and Cayin and they work like a charm.

Alternatively, you can use a 3.5mm (male) to 2.5mm (female) adapter on the M0's 3.5mm port. But doing this will make it a single-ended output, and you lose the benefits of a balanced connection (cross talk values and better power output are negated).

Mar 24, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #332 of 825
How could I use 2.5mm balanced headphones?
Should I use Shanlings balanced adapter with a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter? Any other options?

For 2.5mm, you either have to combine two adapters.

Or get custom-made 5-pin 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter, which would allow it to still run in balanced.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 24, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #333 of 825
Are you guys going make a clip for this like the original M0
I'm still waiting for this. Without the clip, we're forced to keep it in a pocket when moving around just like any other DAP so doesn't really leverage it's small size for other use cases.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #334 of 825
Ok I have received my mo Pro and there are a few little issues that I'm having. Now if you want a very very very small footprint this is it hands down the one and on the whole the device seems pretty good, I have still not properly evaluated audio as I'm trying to get a certain function to work stabley .....
This function is the link to phone control...

Firstly hiby will not link with it hands down how ever much I try and this is the first device I have had this issue with.....second the shanling eddict player which can also control is not showing album art? now this is not a major for me although it means a bit more double checking what's playing and also I'm quite easy going in my expectations, so as long as I can control this TINY dap freely with my phone I can accept no album art, but the eddict player or mo pro software keeps stopping, not showing or connecting properly to the point it's unfit for purpose ...
This is an ultra ultra small dap and I would so far advise to buy one but it needs this control imo to be truly a cut above the rest.
Obviously ease of finding what you want to listen too on the go and stop start are important for something this size .
This needs sorting out shanling

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #335 of 825
Ok I have received my mo Pro and there are a few little issues that I'm having. Now if you want a very very very small footprint this is it hands down the one and on the whole the device seems pretty good, I have still not properly evaluated audio as I'm trying to get a certain function to work stabley .....
This function is the link to phone control...

Firstly hiby will not link with it hands down how ever much I try and this is the first device I have had this issue with.....second the shanling eddict player which can also control is not showing album art? now this is not a major for me although it means a bit more double checking what's playing and also I'm quite easy going in my expectations, so as long as I can control this TINY dap freely with my phone I can accept no album art, but the eddict player or mo pro software keeps stopping, not showing or connecting properly to the point it's unfit for purpose ...
This is an ultra ultra small dap and I would so far advise to buy one but it needs this control imo to be truly a cut above the rest.
Obviously ease of finding what you want to listen too on the go and stop start are important for something this size .
This needs sorting out shanling

Connecting HiBy to M0 Pro, as in for using M0 Pro as USB DAC with your phone over cable?

Album art over synclink in our app is limited. The app is not able to download all the images from the player over Bluetooth.

If your app keeps stopping, please check battery optimization in settings, some phones like to kill it often.

And I assume you tested our latest V2.1.5 app version.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 24, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #336 of 825
Connecting HiBy to M0 Pro, as in for using M0 Pro as USB DAC with your phone over cable?

Album art over synclink in our app is limited. The app is not able to download all the images from the player over Bluetooth.

If your app keeps stopping, please check battery optimization in settings, some phones like to kill it often.

I'm just trying to use eddict as a control nothing more at the moment...
Il check battery optimization and let you know...
Thanks.

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #337 of 825

Ok so I think it maybe my phone was unstable so apologies, I have just literally received a firmware update after I typed my woes (typical)
I have turned eddict on and off 3 or 4 times since phone update and connected and shown content every time .
I will report back after a bit of constant use for a definite.

Also give my humble opinion on sound and overall use ...
Thanks.

Mar 24, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #338 of 825
I am still having issues with the player while I use it plugged in.
For example I start playing a folder, then plug the device to the adapter and once the folder finishes playing, the device (I assume) goes into the standby mode. Once in standby mode, a huge battery icon shows up on the screen and there's nothing I can do. No gestures, button presses or anything works. The only thing that I can do, is double press the power button, to make it start playing the same folder again. And it would be great, however, even after I restart playing music with the double press method, once I unplug the device it stops playing and reverts to some other folder that I listened to from before.
I can assume it happens because of the auto standby mode because I tested the same thing, but with music playing on repeat, and it worked fine even after unplugging it from the charger.
Hope you get the point.
Are there any firmware updates being prepared as we speak? Can you look into the auto standby/battery icon being unresponsive/reverting back to previous folder issue?
Cheers

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #339 of 825
I am still having issues with the player while I use it plugged in.
For example I start playing a folder, then plug the device to the adapter and once the folder finishes playing, the device (I assume) goes into the standby mode. Once in standby mode, a huge battery icon shows up on the screen and there's nothing I can do. No gestures, button presses or anything works. The only thing that I can do, is double press the power button, to make it start playing the same folder again. And it would be great, however, even after I restart playing music with the double press method, once I unplug the device it stops playing and reverts to some other folder that I listened to from before.
I can assume it happens because of the auto standby mode because I tested the same thing, but with music playing on repeat, and it worked fine even after unplugging it from the charger.
Hope you get the point.
Are there any firmware updates being prepared as we speak? Can you look into the auto standby/battery icon being unresponsive/reverting back to previous folder issue?
Cheers
Mine does the same thing when I set it up the same as yours, but I never noticed. First, I never charge my M0 while listening. Second I have "Folder skip" turned on, so it just keeps playing. Third, mine is set to turn off, not standby. So it only turns off when the battery dies or I turn it off.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #340 of 825
20230324_081849.JPG

So been listening to this setup balanced on and off today and im mighty pleased....for such a small footprint it actually sounds pretty good...
So far the eddict control has been a lot more stable, but on last turn on Bluetooth had turned off so control link didn't kick in which had me guessing for a minute ...il keep checking that it's totally stable over the next few days ..
All in all though it seems to be a pretty good device and sounds better than ap80 Pro and IMO hiby r3 pro saber which I have previously owned...
I also owned cayin ru6 dongle which once you bought case and 4.4 adapter for mo pro is not far off the same price but ru6 it is a better sounding device....
But for usage convenience not tieing your phone up and not draining your phones battery the mo wins hands down and on the go do you really notice the audio difference??? If you're at a desk go ru6 if your on the go not draining phone and convenience go mo pro....

I intend to try m1s too at some point ..

I will post back over the next few days once I have tried various headphones and as a transport for mojo2 give some more feedback.

Edit....one thing I would like to see in the software is when folder line is highlighted ready to be selected that the line text scrolls left and right back and forth so to make it easier to see and select accurately what you want...... mo pro is truly pocketable which is it's beauty but being so small and being able to hold huge library's you need to be able to select exactly what you want quickly on the go , this very simple thing makes a world of difference ....at the moment if you have a huge library of the same name it's very difficult to find what you want without using your phone as control...
A lot of smaller devices do this if from the cheapest MP3 players upwards...

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #341 of 825
More opinions

This little thing is growing on me more and more...
Tried it as a transport with mojo2/ lcdx ...
Worked flawlessly, and transports do make a difference to audio, I don't know why but there is a difference with different usb source's, hidisz ap80pro did not sound good with mojo2 as an example...
This sounds clean and really tight and maybe ( maybe new placebo)
Cleaner and tighter than my Sony Xperia phone which up until now has been my favourite transport .
20230326_110041.JPG
I also tried this with some meze 99 classics straight out of 3.5 mm (sorry don't have a balanced cable yet for the meze, it's on its way)
And again it sounded very good! 20230326_110239.JPG
It's actually starting to surprise me which is obviously a good thing...
I do think out of the box treble is a bit edgy but it settles and the whole thing becomes more cohesive..
So to sum up it's a definite keeper and doing everything I want with ease, it sounds good and amazingly good for its diminutive size , as I posted before you will get better audio from say an ru6 dongle but do not let that take away how good this is and actually sounds , it's more convenient and not draining your phones or powering source battery ..

I was going to try the m1s too and may still do but after using and it settling for a couple of days I honestly may not bother.....it's ticking all the boxes.

Only some small gripes..
As I said before I would like to see album art in the companion app ...
And also that the folder line when highlighted to select actually pans left and right to be able to see and select more easily.....this one is a niggle but for such a small device an essential one IMO

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #342 of 825
I was going to try the m1s too and may still do but after using and it settling for a couple of days I honestly may not bother.....it's ticking all the boxes.
I just bought the M1S for its wireless features. The DLNA streaming and Airplay work okay. The user interface is much snappier and responsive. But, it’s 3 times the size of the M0pro.

The M0pro is still in my opinion the best ultraportable digital transport.

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #343 of 825
I just bought the M1S for its wireless features. The DLNA streaming and Airplay work okay. The user interface is much snappier and responsive. But, it’s 3 times the size of the M0pro.

The M0pro is still in my opinion the best ultraportable digital transport.
Thanks....
I'm.still in two minds to try it as well and possibly will at some point..
The only thing have yet to try is Bluetooth headphones..
I have some one more Sono flow ldac here ...il try them too at some point and report back.

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #345 of 825
Any noticeable difference in sound quality?
No. Not really comparing the 4.4 balanced out of the M0pro and M1S. For the extra money you get a better, snappier interface and wireless capability. I wouldn’t call it a huge sonic leap.

Unless Airplay or DLNA are your priorities, I’d stick with M0pro with 4.4 balanced adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back