Shanling M0 Pro - Ultra-Portable Hi-Fi Player, Now With Balanced Output!
Jan 15, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #136 of 825
Is there really a difference with the balanced adapter?

Should be. There is significant difference in output power: 90 mW (SE) vs 236 mW (Balanced) @32 Ohm.,

Jan 15, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #137 of 825
I actually like the scrolling speed, it’s only fast if you swipe quickly but if you do it slowly it moves as such. Plus if place your finger to the right of the screen you can scroll by starting letter.

My only issue I’ve come across is the reloading thousands of tracks when you insert the SD card rather than the 20 or so new ones I’ve added. Maybe there is a way around this that I have missed?

With regards to the balanced adapter it works great, most of my IEMs are on 4.4 cables so this is an ideal solution. I will be interested to see how well the battery performs though.

Overall I’m very impressed, it’s the most portable way possible to carry my FLAC library and a great back up to my much larger DAP which I only really use at home.
How the sound quality in balanced mode?

Jan 15, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #139 of 825
I actually like the scrolling speed, it’s only fast if you swipe quickly but if you do it slowly it moves as such. Plus if place your finger to the right of the screen you can scroll by starting letter.

My only issue I’ve come across is the reloading thousands of tracks when you insert the SD card rather than the 20 or so new ones I’ve added. Maybe there is a way around this that I have missed?

With regards to the balanced adapter it works great, most of my IEMs are on 4.4 cables so this is an ideal solution. I will be interested to see how well the battery performs though.

Overall I’m very impressed, it’s the most portable way possible to carry my FLAC library and a great back up to my much larger DAP which I only really use at home.

Re. reloading all tracks on SD card, check in System settings that 'Update Music' > 'Automatic' is switched off.

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #140 of 825
Re. reloading all tracks on SD card, check in System settings that 'Update Music' > 'Automatic' is switched off.
Thanks, that does stop it reloading when inserting the SD.

However is there a way to add the new tracks to ‘My Music’ menu without scanning the rest of the files? Seems like the only way is using ‘Update Music’ which loads everything.

I noticed I can avoid it by going to the ‘Folder’ menu then you can listen to the track but not add it into the ‘My Music’ library.

Jan 15, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #141 of 825
Thanks, that does stop it reloading when inserting the SD.

However is there a way to add the new tracks to ‘My Music’ menu without scanning the rest of the files? Seems like the only way is using ‘Update Music’ which loads everything.

I noticed I can avoid it by going to the ‘Folder’ menu then you can listen to the track but not add it into the ‘My Music’ library.
I agree, there appears to be no option to simply update new additions.

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #143 of 825
I am copying my post from hifiguides forum on the A/B comparison test of M0 Pro against Sony ZX-300A DAP. So one entry level device from 2023 vs mid/high end device from 2017. This is probably in theory the best portable source I have, so that may not be fair to compare, but the technology also advanced since 2017 quite significantly, so lets see where we are at. I bought second hand ZX300 for more than 200$ couple of months ago, so it is still significantly more expensie device.

"Ok, last post from the Shanling M0 Pro series. And God protect me from any further posts on sources sound reproduction.

PXL_20230115_215204841~2

TL;DR - my ears are B-stock. Probably there is no difference to be found between ZX300 and M0 Pro for me. A/B tests for sources suck. I feel like an idiot, my wife looks at me like I have gone mad.

Longer story - after a discussion on sources in general with Rikudou_Goku and him finding out that Sony DAPs are having full digital amplification method (very unique to be honest!) I convinced myself to do something for the world and not only for my pleasure in my free time and do the volume matched A/B testing of above mentioned sources.

General approach
The procedure was that I created a playlist consisting of the songs from throughout my library that I am very familiar with. I uploaded them to both - same files.

It contained songs of Bon Iver, Danger Mouse, Big Thief, Beck, Dr Dre, The Roots, The Flaming Lips, Black Country, New Road - 9 songs in total

All tests were conducted on the most resolving set I have - Unique Melody MEST MK1.

Disclaimer:
It is not a blind test. I am probably biased against difference in sources. I am probably half deaf or my brain is not able to perceive sound properly
:sweat_smile:

Volume matching:
I used the last used volume level on M0 as a base value of “normal listening level”.
Uploaded pink noise .wav file to both devices. Played it on M0 pro and measured SPL through the sound analyser app on Android. The result - 73,5 dBA SPL was measured on 34/100 settings as my normal listening level.
I switched the source to ZX300A without moving the IEM in the coupler and adjusted the procedure to set the volume to get as close to 73,5 dBA as possible. Ended up at 66/120. In fact my last used volume on this device was much lower - at around 67 dBA which is interesting thing to think of.

Then I started to swap around ABing. Longer passages first, then short 10s fragments. Full songs in the end.

Conclusions:
I mean… If there are differences they are so miniscule for me that it would be crazy to tell that one of those sources is worth even 5$ more due to that only.

• Staging - no difference,
  • Details reproduction - no difference
  • Response in bass (like “tightness”, impact - none)
  • Dynamic range and clarity. I may try convince myself that ZX300 is a tad better. But that may be a placebo. I think I can hear some small difference in how hard it is to differentiate the separated instrument’s passages in very dynamics moments on some songs. Like it is slightly easier on Sony.
But if I consider any (really - ANY) real life usage scenario for me? Hell no I would be consciously missing anything choosing one over another. So here is the huge win for the Shanling M0 Pro in my opinion as it is much cheaper than Sony ever was and it has also plenty other perks that are marketed as main functions. And some people may look at such small device as utility first, sound second. And in my experience it is really not the case

I know a lot of people experience is much different to mine. And I don’t claim they are wrong (how could I?). I just lost and gave up on the search. So I need to filter out any messages on sources having huge impact not to trigger me
:smiling_face_with_tear:

Or maybe tubes would be different story…?
:thinking:
"

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #145 of 825
I am copying my post from hifiguides forum on the A/B comparison test of M0 Pro against Sony ZX-300A DAP. So one entry level device from 2023 vs mid/high end device from 2017. This is probably in theory the best portable source I have, so that may not be fair to compare, but the technology also advanced since 2017 quite significantly, so lets see where we are at. I bought second hand ZX300 for more than 200$ couple of months ago, so it is still significantly more expensie device.

"Ok, last post from the Shanling M0 Pro series. And God protect me from any further posts on sources sound reproduction.

PXL_20230115_215204841~2
TL;DR - my ears are B-stock. Probably there is no difference to be found between ZX300 and M0 Pro for me. A/B tests for sources suck. I feel like an idiot, my wife looks at me like I have gone mad.

Longer story - after a discussion on sources in general with Rikudou_Goku and him finding out that Sony DAPs are having full digital amplification method (very unique to be honest!) I convinced myself to do something for the world and not only for my pleasure in my free time and do the volume matched A/B testing of above mentioned sources.

General approach
The procedure was that I created a playlist consisting of the songs from throughout my library that I am very familiar with. I uploaded them to both - same files.

It contained songs of Bon Iver, Danger Mouse, Big Thief, Beck, Dr Dre, The Roots, The Flaming Lips, Black Country, New Road - 9 songs in total

All tests were conducted on the most resolving set I have - Unique Melody MEST MK1.

Disclaimer:
It is not a blind test. I am probably biased against difference in sources. I am probably half deaf or my brain is not able to perceive sound properly

Volume matching:
I used the last used volume level on M0 as a base value of “normal listening level”.
Uploaded pink noise .wav file to both devices. Played it on M0 pro and measured SPL through the sound analyser app on Android. The result - 73,5 dBA SPL was measured on 34/100 settings as my normal listening level.
I switched the source to ZX300A without moving the IEM in the coupler and adjusted the procedure to set the volume to get as close to 73,5 dBA as possible. Ended up at 66/120. In fact my last used volume on this device was much lower - at around 67 dBA which is interesting thing to think of.

Then I started to swap around ABing. Longer passages first, then short 10s fragments. Full songs in the end.

Conclusions:
I mean… If there are differences they are so miniscule for me that it would be crazy to tell that one of those sources is worth even 5$ more due to that only.

• Dynamic range and clarity. I may try convince myself that ZX300 is a tad better. But that may be a placebo. I think I can hear some small difference in how hard it is to differentiate the separated instrument’s passages in very dynamics moments on some songs. Like it is slightly easier on Sony.
But if I consider any (really - ANY) real life usage scenario for me? Hell no I would be consciously missing anything choosing one over another. So here is the huge win for the Shanling M0 Pro in my opinion as it is much cheaper than Sony ever was and it has also plenty other perks that are marketed as main functions. And some people may look at such small device as utility first, sound second. And in my experience it is really not the case

I know a lot of people experience is much different to mine. And I don’t claim they are wrong (how could I?). I just lost and gave up on the search. So I need to filter out any messages on sources having huge impact not to trigger me

"
Sound-wise I don't think source has any impact on the playback, really.
In this particular comparison between ZX300 and M0Pro it is more interesting to compare the UX between those two devices. Form factor, battery life and so on and so forth. One interesting advantage that the new dacs have is the ability to unfold MQA up to 16x and... that would be about it.
I ordered the M0 Pro for the form factor exclusively as I would never take a big dap out for a walk, it would be too inconvenient for me in the long run. The music listening experience has to be, at least for me, as easy as possible. The more bells and whistles a device has, the more difficult it is for me to enjoy it.
It's the main reason why I stayed away from the Android based daps.
I do love the UI Sony has put on their non-android DAPs. It is very intuitive and darn easy to use. That WM port though..
As always YMMV :)

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #146 of 825
I'm receiving my M0 Pro today. Is there any USB mode I should select for sending digital signal to an external DAC (using the USB output)? When so, what happens with the volume option of the M0Pro?

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #147 of 825
I'm receiving my M0 Pro today. Is there any USB mode I should select for sending digital signal to an external DAC (using the USB output)? When so, what happens with the volume option of the M0Pro?
Yes there is and if I remember correctly there is a volume option for fixed or variable.

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #148 of 825

PXL_20230115_215204841~2

General approach

Disclaimer:

Volume matching:

Conclusions:

"
Did you use the balanced out for this test? I can imagine if you didn’t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back