Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 24, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #1,471 of 6,418
is there a chance someone using old phone like nexus 5 with Oreo custom ROM getting the same LDAC treatment to M0 ? I have old nexus laying around.
Magisk has a module that enables aptx, aptxHD, and LDAC in Oreo phones. Worked on my Nexus 6P. I'm sure there are other methods that don't use Magisk...might want to ask on xda-developers.

Jun 24, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #1,473 of 6,418
I use the Shanling cable with my Chord Hugo and it works very well.
I do too. And it works very well for me also. But that's a different-use scenario with a different type of cable (Hugo is the DAC, cable is USB-C to micro-USB).

Just for fun, I'm trying to use the M0 as an external DAC from my phone (LG V30). M0 works fine as an external DAC from my Mac using a standard USB to USB-C cable. V30 or M0 work fine as a transport to my Hugo 2 using a Shanling or Shure USB-C to micro-USB cable, but
i have not found any USB-C to USB-C connection that will allow me to use the M0 as an external DAC from my V30.

Anybody else had any lucky using M0 as an external DAC from a USB-C digital-out port using a USB-C to USB-C cable? If so, can you please share your brand of cable?

Jun 24, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #1,474 of 6,418
I do too. And it works very well for me also. But that's a different-use scenario with a different type of cable (Hugo is the DAC, cable is USB-C to micro-USB).

Just for fun, I'm trying to use the M0 as an external DAC from my phone (LG V30). M0 works fine as an external DAC from my Mac using a standard USB to USB-C cable. V30 or M0 work fine as a transport to my Hugo 2 using a Shanling or Shure USB-C to micro-USB cable, but
i have not found any USB-C to USB-C connection that will allow me to use the M0 as an external DAC from my V30.

Anybody else had any lucky using M0 as an external DAC from a USB-C digital-out port using a USB-C to USB-C cable? If so, can you please share your brand of cable?
Maybe it doesnt work , because m0 doesnt have type-c as output for sound at all and can only receive data via that port? Unless you want to send music from v30 to m0, then theres something wrong either with cables or software on m0

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #1,476 of 6,418
Maybe it doesnt work , because m0 doesnt have type-c as output for sound at all and can only receive data via that port? Unless you want to send music from v30 to m0, then theres something wrong either with cables or software on m0
M0 can both send and receive via its USB-C port. I've successfully done both. I just can't get it to work as a USB DAC via USB-C to USB-C.

I believe your need an otg cable or adapter..not just a type c to type c cable..it needs to be otg as well.

Yep, I'm sure it's something like that. Can anybody recommend me a good OTG USB-C to USB-C cable that they've got to work?

Jun 24, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #1,477 of 6,418
OTG isn't a thing with Usb-c to usb-c.

Maybe try a Usb-c 3.1 gen 2 cable. Latest and greatest version. The only problem with Usb-c. So many versions because mfg's cheap out. Some are no better than micro USB cables which could explain the issue.

Jun 24, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #1,478 of 6,418
I'm isonga aidioqueya usb c otg adapter with an audioquest usb cable. They dun hsvea dirrct c to c otg and u need an adapter but I've tested several otg and audioquest has the best quality audio.its quite noticable... Only problem, audioquest is hard to buy

Jun 24, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #1,480 of 6,418
I hook up my M0 with my Mojo using the shanling L2 cable. Dun know why...sometimes when I tilt the position due to small size, the dap will freeze, if I don’t bend the cable and leave it hanging...nothing will happen

Jun 24, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #1,481 of 6,418
Turns out the bands and pad thing that came with my Fiio Q1 are perfect for this setup too. They securely hold the M0 in place but don't cover any portion of the screen :thumbsup:

34982359_252652722156982_5155005372850765824_n.jpg

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,482 of 6,418
M0 can both send and receive via its USB-C port. I've successfully done both. I just can't get it to work as a USB DAC via USB-C to USB-C.

Yep, I'm sure it's something like that. Can anybody recommend me a good OTG USB-C to USB-C cable that they've got to work?

I got this Cable Matters 2-Pack USB C to USB C Cable (USB Type C Cable/USB-C Cable) in Black 6 Inches for Samsung Galaxy S9/S8/Note 8, LG G6/V30, Nintendo Switch, Google Pixel/Nexus 5X/6P and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071H86QB6?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

And it works a treat with my Nexus 6p. Also LDAC sounds so much better than sbc or aac.

Oh and to all those asking for Hiby link, there's no Hiby software on this DAP. Stop asking. This has already been stated in the thread.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,483 of 6,418
I use the Shanling cable with my Chord Hugo and it works very well.
Is there any trick to get the HUGO to recognize Shanling M0 via USB? Like sequence in which the devices to be switched on?
I don't have the L2 cable with me, it's on the mail. I tried using this USB-C to Micro-USB cable designed to for Mavic Drone controller and couldn't get it to work.

Data-Cable-For-DJI-Spark-MAVIC-Pro-Air-Control-Micro-USB-to-Lighting-type-C-Micro.jpg

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,484 of 6,418
Anyone getting gaps between tracks with an external DAC (I have a Mojo)? Also my M0 occasionally hangs if I wake it up when plugged into the powered on Mojo. Feels like a bug with the wake up logic.
Little clicks between the (supposedly) gapless tracks. Yep - also I get that with my Hugo 2. Actually, if you listen carefully, even direct from the 3.5 mm socket, you can often hear some clicks. Gapless seems to be one of those things that's really difficult to get right.

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #1,485 of 6,418
All in all awesome little player , though it would be great if Shanling could decrease screen to bezel ratio both for aesthetic and useability reason . In my mind the screen is far to small for comfortable touch use , especially for people with bigger hands. Also the clip case doesn't inspire confidence it feels somewhat flimsy although it didn't failed while running.

Well, you must also consider what screens are available on the market. As smaller manufacturer, we can't get custom ordered screens, we need to choose from screens being offered. We did best we could with M0.

1. When scrolling through via the alphabet thing on the right side of the screen it sometimes locks up and you have to let go of it before trying again.

2. The touch screen doesnt seem to be responsive at times. Most notably when I am trying to swipe using my left thumb while holding the player on my left hand. I dont seem to have the same problem with my right hand. Probably just me though.

To point 2, my advice is always to start movement from center of the screen.

Lots of good points. @Shanling - any plans for BT AVRCP (Audio / Video Remote Control Profile) support on the M0?
@Shanling is there a chance you'll add virtual control buttons for bluetooth? I bought it mainly to use as bluetooth module connected with smartphone but it would be great to hit play/next/prev without taking off my phone.

We want to add BT controls to receiver mode in future update.

Are there some drivers for USB DAC? I've downloaded the ones from http://www.shanling.com/download/List#modal but couldn't install them (error when opening setup.exe).
Without drivers my PC do not see M0 plugged in (unless in storage mode).

Can you please send me more information about your problem in PM?

Exactly my thoughts, I said the same two weeks ago, but I'm afraid the vast majority are more than happy with the nano size.
I bet the new Shanlings will left the wheel in favour of touch screen.

Nano size was main aim of M0, bigger devices will be coming in the future.
All future models of Shanling will be using same MTouch system developed by Shanling and touch screen.

Hello @Shanling! Have no sound in M0 when connected it in reciever mode LDAC with my smartphone Sony Z5 Compact (android 7.1.1).

Does M0 show BT screen with LDAC sign? If so, please check your volume(on both M0 and your phone) and check Developers settings on your Sony to see, what's going on in BT.

I ordered a clip case and can't wait to get it. I did notice one thing though,
I feel that for usefulness, the clip is on the wrong side, especially for people with straight angle plugs on their earphones.
Right now, it means the when clipped to a shirt, the 3.5mm jack will be pointed down.
It means that when others look at your screen facing you it will be facing the right direction, but if you take a quick look directly down on your shirt, it will be upside down for you.

With most headphones/IEMs, your cable is quite long. If you would have M0's connector facing up, with straight plug, your cable would immediately bend down no matter what. So with port facing down, you are just giving less stress on cable near connector.

And to display orientation, I have been playing with case for some time and I'm not sure how other people are using their DAP, but I can do most of the things on DAP when its screen is turned in 90 degrees angle. Upside down is little tough, that's true.

I used cable that we were using with Shanling UP.

On topic of USB-C "OTG" cables, I will say that with UP, we needed to have special marking, because cable was set up so that it worked just in one direction.

M0 can output digital files over USB-C. Please refer to specification.

Anyone getting gaps between tracks with an external DAC (I have a Mojo)? Also my M0 occasionally hangs if I wake it up when plugged into the powered on Mojo. Feels like a bug with the wake up logic.

Can confirm gapless playback over USB output isn't ideal at current state.
Will look into wake up freezing.

Is there any trick to get the HUGO to recognize Shanling M0 via USB? Like sequence in which the devices to be switched on?
I don't have the L2 cable with me, it's on the mail. I tried using this USB-C to Micro-USB cable designed to for Mavic Drone controller and couldn't get it to work.

There is no trick, just turn on both devices and connect them with cable.
Based on our experience with random third party cables, we recommend our L2 cable for use with DACs with micro USB input.

Little clicks between the (supposedly) gapless tracks. Yep - also I get that with my Hugo 2. Actually, if you listen carefully, even direct from the 3.5 mm socket, you can often hear some clicks. Gapless seems to be one of those things that's really difficult to get right.

What is worst, gapless performance shifts between audio files, some works amazingly, some not 100% smoothly. Still trying to make all work flawlessly.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back