Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jan 30, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #4,576 of 6,413
Well, not sure how it would look like, how to make it work in best way. All text starts scrolling when you stop on the page?

Note: We are closing our offices today, will be back after holidays, February 19th. Will maybe check in sometimes during that, but be prepared for no support during this time.
Have a great holiday! "Life Is Short, Play More".

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #4,578 of 6,413
Greetings, and happy new year!

I recently acquired an m0 (firmware v2.3), and have been spending the last week trying it out at work. So far, after about a week my impressions are good. This is a great little device and is a good value, but I have a few points of feedback and/or issues to report. For reference this is my replacement for an aging iPod classic that I have used since it was new. I know that some of these have already been mentioned in this thread, but here is what I have observed. In no particular order:

1. Various issues with punctuation. The is an extra space after apostrophes in titles. (ex: 'Paul's Boutique' shows up as 'Paul' s Boutique'). Diacritical marks (accent marks) on vowels don't seem to work correctly, and show up as Chinese characters. This isn't consistent though, because the artist 'Bj◌̈rk' is messed up, but 'Mot◌̈rhead' is fine.
  2. I am having an issue with an external playlist, where a playlist of 200+ songs is truncated after 20-30 songs. The rest of the list doesn't show up on the system, and the final song doesn't play either, giving an error that says "file not found". The song in particular is called 'Return of the "G"', which does play correctly if I select it directly in the file browser. I can only assume this is another punctuation issue, and the m3u file can't path correctly after it reaches these quotation marks. Playlist works fine on other devices.
  3. Speaking of external playlists, it would be nice if these showed up in the 'playlists' menu with the rest, rather than having to look through folders to find them. Can this be added to the 'update music' function?
  4. The bezel obscures the very perimeter of the screen, cutting off album artwork. The scaling should take into account the fact that part of the screen is not visible (a black border perhaps?) This is also an issue on some screens where it covers the scroll bar on the right of the list. (this is most evident when scrolling through and external playlist. elsewhere the scroll bar is offset enough to the left that it isn't an issue.)
  5. I can't seem to connect to more than 2 Bluetooth devices at a time. I use my phone, headphones, my car, and a Bluetooth speaker. I have to keep deleting the devices from the list in order to connect to switch between more than 2.
  6. As others have mentioned, replay gain support is really needed on this device. It would be nice to put the m0 in my pocket and stop messing with volume.
  7. Also, it would be nice to have an option to add a wheel shortcut to lock the volume. I have had issues with the volume changing when moving around too much and I don't want to have to do this in the settings menu all the time. This would essentially serve the purpose of a "hold switch"
  8. I would also like to see an option to exclude folders from the 'update music' feature. I have a lot of audio books that I don't want showing up or shuffling with everything else. I don't mind having to manually navigate to these files when I need them, and this might be an easier option to implement than full-blown audio book support.

This is a great device, so don't let this long list fool you because I am overall quite happy so far. :)

Jan 31, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #4,579 of 6,413
I would also like to see an option to exclude folders from the 'update music' feature. I have a lot of audio books that I don't want showing up or shuffling with everything else. I don't mind having to manually navigate to these files when I need them, and this might be an easier option to implement than full-blown audio book support.
Keep them on a different card?

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #4,580 of 6,413
Keep them on a different card?

I've got a bunch of smaller cards for different stuff (separate cards for audio books, lossy music, redbook and Hi Res) but the difficulty of opening the MicroSD flap makes my solution (and your suggestion) not great for the M0. Since the device isn't waterproof (... or is it?), I can't see a big enough merit (not nearly enough to offset the difficulties introduced) for the flap, personally. I'm guessing this was a design choice for form at the cost of function.

Are there plans to make it waterproof with a firmware update? lol

I'd be tempted to just tear it out if I wasn't planning on selling it on in the near future. Especially with the upcoming UP2 coming up.

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #4,581 of 6,413
I assume it was simply sarcasm as other person wanted something this dap could never do and not made for it.

I understand and my response was intended to be sarcastic I thought it was obvious by the previous smiley faces. :)

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #4,584 of 6,413
Agreed, that negates a lot of the convenience of swapping cards when you constantly have to keep rebuilding the database. I sometimes switch between music and audiobooks several times a day, especially when working late.
Well I was only suggesting it as a workaround. I agree that Shanling could implement much better support for Audiobooks.

Feb 1, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #4,585 of 6,413
I just had a question. I got new bluetooth earphones, and when I open my M0 and then turn on the earphones, I got a bluetooth screen and can't hear music or do anything. It looks like this.

KIMG1588.JPG

Then, when I restart the M0, it connects normally. I was just wondering why it goes to that screen, and if there was a way to get them to pair without having to reboot the M0 every time.

Feb 1, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #4,587 of 6,413
I just had a question. I got new bluetooth earphones, and when I open my M0 and then turn on the earphones, I got a bluetooth screen and can't hear music or do anything. It looks like this.

Then, when I restart the M0, it connects normally. I was just wondering why it goes to that screen, and if there was a way to get them to pair without having to reboot the M0 every time.

Tell me, are they the "true wireless", two earphones connected with no cable at all?
We saw some cases like this. It's caused by two earphones communicating between each other, which will trick M0 into thinking there is incoming BT signal and switches itself into BT receiver mode.
You can try firstly turning on the earphones and after that turning on the M0. This way connection between earphones should be already established before M0 will try to connect.

Can you please tell me what earphones are you using?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 1, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #4,588 of 6,413
Tell me, are they the "true wireless", two earphones connected with no cable at all?
We saw some cases like this. It's caused by two earphones communicating between each other, which will trick M0 into thinking there is incoming BT signal and switches itself into BT receiver mode.
You can try firstly turning on the earphones and after that turning on the M0. This way connection between earphones should be already established before M0 will try to connect.

That is correct. It's a true wireless set. I am using the Nuarl NT01-AX earphones right now.
At the moment, that is what I do. I take the earphones out of the case, turn on the M0, and put the earphones in my ears. It works fine thanks to how quickly the M0 starts up.

Feb 2, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #4,590 of 6,413

I had the same screeen few times with aac connection on jaybird x4 (not true wireless). If i swap from left to right it asks me if i want to leeave bluetooth, then it just disconnects and i have to connect again, then it works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back