Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Mar 15, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #4,876 of 6,418
M0 custom firmware
Did you get m0 in your own possession?
Does it make sense to hope for Rockbox for Shanling M0 ??
Controlling the touch screen in Rockbox - is this actually real?

Or perhaps the expansion of the functionality of the current firmware - access to the source code promised.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...-es9218p-fw-2-4.874859/page-323#post-14831121

It seems that in the original firmware even the values of the equalizer presets are in binary files ...

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #4,878 of 6,418
For those who enjoy an active lifestyle, my take on the M0 as a training DAP:

Wyville's Audiophile Boot Camp - Shanling M0
IMAGE_12.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #4,879 of 6,418
Shanling M0 is a great small mobile device.
My only missing feature is to be able to use it wired as a DAC on Android (native for offline play and UAPP for streaming)
I've tried to connect to my Mate 20 Pro, it display 24B / 48Khz and no sound at all (native app or UAPP).

Is it working for some other phones or an incompatibility with Android ?

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #4,880 of 6,418
My only missing feature is to be able to use it wired as a DAC on Android (native for offline play and UAPP for streaming)
I've tried to connect to my Mate 20 Pro, it display 24B / 48Khz and no sound at all (native app or UAPP).

Are you using an OTG adapter/cable?

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #4,883 of 6,418
Yes, I've tried an USB-C -> USB-A OTG + USB-A USB-C cable. Or an USB-C to USB-C.
In both case it display 48Khz/24Bits but no sound.
I wonder if M0 is trying to charge itself and the phone can't provide enough power?

Mar 17, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #4,884 of 6,418
Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #4,885 of 6,418
I'm at the beginning of my hi-fi journey. A few days ago I ordered the EarStudio ES100 and got an insta-regret for not getting the Shanling M0 instead. I've read quite a bit about the two, and while I know these are better thought of as complimentary products, it's not the case with me who dislikes carrying extra stuff. My current (and ideal) setup is a laptop/phone with Spotify Premium > iem (wired). So, adding an extra device like DAC/AMP hurts my soul, even when it's a must sqwise.

And because I think I need a DAP too for FLAC files, I started to wonder are there really any big advantages besides the slightly(?) better sound quality of the ES100, the better battery life and maybe the EQ (I need a decent EQ). I listed the biggest pros (at least for me) from multiple reviews:

M0 pros over ES100
  • USB-C
  • DAP & Storage
  • Size & build quality
ES100 pros over M0
  • Latency in USB DAC & Bluetooth receiver
  • Battery life
  • EQ(?)
  • SQ(?)
  • 2.5 mm balanced output (not needed atm)
  • Mic for calls (not needed atm)

I'll still continue using my phone and my laptop(s) and stream from Spotify. The sound quality improves (I'm hoping drastically) anyways from my current setup with a DAC/AMP.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say and figure out, is am I even going to hear the difference:
  1. Between M0 (DAC/AMP/EQ/DAP) and ES100 (DAC/AMP/EQ)?
  2. Between my phone (S8) and M0 as DAP?

Sorry for the long post. I might have answered some of the questions myself when writing this post, but I'd love to hear your opinions too!

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #4,886 of 6,418
@henkka, I have both and what I say is totally subjective...
If you can get both, they are so good Sound quality wise you really can't go wrong getting one over the other.

As a DAP, the M0 obviously wins. As a DAC, they feel very even but the ES100 wins out as the 2.5mm balanced SQ is better to my ears. EQ wise win goes to ES100, although once Shanling comes out with their adjustable EQ that might change. AMP wise, if 3.5mm is what is being used I think the ES100 has a more power (or seems that way) but the M0 is no slouch. . Not sure who really wins if 3.5mm is being used. Go 2.5mm then the choice is ES100.

Putting a smartphone up against a dedicated DAP is sometimes an argument no one wins. While I don't have an S8, I do have the Essential phone with the HD adapter and SQ wise I actually think my Essential phone beats the M0, however the phone's battery life takes a huge hit and lasts maybe 6 hours max. At the end of the day I use the M0 rather than the phone because battery life and usability. SQ wise the difference is so minimal that I really don't notice unless I'm using my Custom iems... And even then it's not a game changer/ender.

The ES100 is a fantastic device however sometimes I need a player not connected to anything and the M0 really shines. Especially when I'm out and carrying all my EDC gear.

Don't think you made a mistake, just save those pennies and get them both! Even if you don't/can't do that know that you win going either way!

I hope this helps and little.

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #4,887 of 6,418

As was discussed on few previous pages, this one is more about implementation of Android on your phone. We tested range on Android phones that work without problem with M0 as USB DAC.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 18, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #4,888 of 6,418
@henkka, I have both and what I say is totally subjective...
If you can get both, they are so good Sound quality wise you really can't go wrong getting one over the other.

As a DAP, the M0 obviously wins. As a DAC, they feel very even but the ES100 wins out as the 2.5mm balanced SQ is better to my ears. EQ wise win goes to ES100, although once Shanling comes out with their adjustable EQ that might change. AMP wise, if 3.5mm is what is being used I think the ES100 has a more power (or seems that way) but the M0 is no slouch. . Not sure who really wins if 3.5mm is being used. Go 2.5mm then the choice is ES100.

Putting a smartphone up against a dedicated DAP is sometimes an argument no one wins. While I don't have an S8, I do have the Essential phone with the HD adapter and SQ wise I actually think my Essential phone beats the M0, however the phone's battery life takes a huge hit and lasts maybe 6 hours max. At the end of the day I use the M0 rather than the phone because battery life and usability. SQ wise the difference is so minimal that I really don't notice unless I'm using my Custom iems... And even then it's not a game changer/ender.

The ES100 is a fantastic device however sometimes I need a player not connected to anything and the M0 really shines. Especially when I'm out and carrying all my EDC gear.

Don't think you made a mistake, just save those pennies and get them both! Even if you don't/can't do that know that you win going either way!

I hope this helps and little.
Thanks for the reply! I think I'm keeping the ES100 then, and start with that. I convinced myself I need the 2.5 mm output.

Good thing you pointed out the phone's battery consumption, as it drains way too fast even when I'm not using it. I have to get a DAP like M0 (or perhaps the new Fiio M5?) in the near future, right after I choose my next pair of iems. Funny how all I wanted (before) was to just upgrade my current iems with a maximum budget of $€£250. And I end up with ES100, a 200GB microSDXC card (for my phone/future DAP), a 2.5mm balanced cable and very likely the M0.

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #4,889 of 6,418
I'm at the beginning of my hi-fi journey. A few days ago I ordered the EarStudio ES100 and got an insta-regret for not getting the Shanling M0 instead. I've read quite a bit about the two, and while I know these are better thought of as complimentary products, it's not the case with me who dislikes carrying extra stuff. My current (and ideal) setup is a laptop/phone with Spotify Premium > iem (wired). So, adding an extra device like DAC/AMP hurts my soul, even when it's a must sqwise.

And because I think I need a DAP too for FLAC files, I started to wonder are there really any big advantages besides the slightly(?) better sound quality of the ES100, the better battery life and maybe the EQ (I need a decent EQ). I listed the biggest pros (at least for me) from multiple reviews:

M0 pros over ES100
  • USB-C
  • DAP & Storage
  • Size & build quality
ES100 pros over M0
  • Latency in USB DAC & Bluetooth receiver
  • Battery life
  • EQ(?)
  • SQ(?)
  • 2.5 mm balanced output (not needed atm)
  • Mic for calls (not needed atm)

I'll still continue using my phone and my laptop(s) and stream from Spotify. The sound quality improves (I'm hoping drastically) anyways from my current setup with a DAC/AMP.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say and figure out, is am I even going to hear the difference:
  1. Between M0 (DAC/AMP/EQ/DAP) and ES100 (DAC/AMP/EQ)?
  2. Between my phone (S8) and M0 as DAP?

Sorry for the long post. I might have answered some of the questions myself when writing this post, but I'd love to hear your opinions too!

I've had the M0 since launch and recently grabbed the ES100 for the 2.5mm and because the clip case broke on my M0 after a few months of use.

I thought they would be amazing complements to each other, since the M0 can stream LDAC to the ES100, the ES100 has a clip about a billion times better than the M0 clip case, and the ES100 is also lighter and better balanced for hanging on a clip.

At this point, I much prefer the sound of the ES100 via LDAC than just the M0 by itself. It really comes doing to the bass slam, though. The M0 always felt a little bass light, and sometimes, when there is a bass slam, it didn't translate well. You did have great detail and separation, but the bass always felt much lighter than it should be. On the ES100, the bass is just right, everything else is very similar. It sounds more realistic with my gear (Willsound MK2 and ER4XR on 2.5mm cable). The next time I go in for a phone upgrade, if I get a phone with LDAC, I may end up ditching the M0. I could have never thought of that before getting the ES100, as the M0 is already much better sounding than my phone or PC.

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #4,890 of 6,418
Thanks for the reply! I think I'm keeping the ES100 then, and start with that. I convinced myself I need the 2.5 mm output.

Good thing you pointed out the phone's battery consumption, as it drains way too fast even when I'm not using it. I have to get a DAP like M0 (or perhaps the new Fiio M5?) in the near future, right after I choose my next pair of iems. Funny how all I wanted (before) was to just upgrade my current iems with a maximum budget of $€£250. And I end up with ES100, a 200GB microSDXC card (for my phone/future DAP), a 2.5mm balanced cable and very likely the M0.
Yeah man it's a black hole for your wallet. LOL The Fiio M5 looks interesting and while my interests are piqued I'm waiting for reviews. Even then, the M0 has been a monster even without an EQ (that is user adjustable), Audiobook support (which I don't use), and needing some buttons for skipping tracks. :)
If you are looking for something with 2.5mm but smaller check out the Hiby R3, I'm not happy with Hidizs and while the AP80 might be nice no 2.5mm balanced. All I can say is that while the change from 2.5 to 3.5mm isn't huge things just sound better, maybe it's placebo but hey if we can afford it...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back