Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Mar 12, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #4,846 of 6,418
Ah sorry my apolgies - I see where you are coming from now. It is just that it isn't normal to implement an equalizer in the space of an hour. I think Shanling have said they can't do more in the way of equalization in the M0 because the CPU in the SOC isn't powerful enough.
You do not need to implement an equalizer - it already exists in the linux (alsa) system, you only need a user interface for flexible management of its settings.
This is a task for the most part designers and interface developers - in terms of programming for a person who knows the environment, there is nothing complicated there.

The processor in m0 and m5s is the same - Ingenic X1000.
Even the firmware m0 and m5s are similar in size - in many respects similar binary, the differences mainly relate to ak4493, wifi and other additional functions m5s.
So transferring an already existing equalizer from m5s to m0 is just reworking the interface for a small screen m0.

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #4,847 of 6,418
We are working on new EQ system for MTouch 2.0, when we are satisfied with it, it will be released for M5s/M2x. If we get good feedback, it will be ported to M0.

We are looking into importing some of elements of MTouch 2.0 into M0.
This is great, but almost a year has passed since the release of m0, and the software still does not correspond to the title "music player".
One can only hope that Shanling will keep his word and add a flexible equalizer setting in m0 before he stops his support and update.

No plans to add such system, where users would need to set some files on their computer.
This is only relevant if you do not add a full-fledged equalizer to m0.
At the moment, m0 is like a lame cat due to the lack of a full equalizer.
That's why I talked about CustomEQ.ini — crutch that would help the cat.

But we are open to any activity by users of Shanling players. Community has access to our firmware files and our system is build under GPL, so you can reach out to us to acquire needed files.
What is easy for a developer who is familiar with the system will be too time consuming for an outsider.
This is for fanatics of audio player devices, but I work in a different linux area and I just want to get a full-fledged music player with equalizer and nothing more.
For most, like me, always be easier to buy a device from another manufacturer than with a shudder of the heart to see the “lame cat” m0 every day - which vets ignore ...

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #4,848 of 6,418
and nevermind. I figured it out. So definitely wrong on not needing an otg adapter. Used my Samsung one. Worked just fine on my Note 9. Repeated on an LG G7 and a Q7+, and got nothing. Went into developer options and even set USB to Audio Source. Still nothing. Switched back to the Note 9, and it worked again.

So it definitely seems like an issue with the LG. That aside, if the phone has the same DAC, is there really a great reason to complicate the setup and use the M0 as a DAC then? I can see on standard phones, but not the LG's. Seems like it just creates more work.

Side note. My volume is stuck at 27 max. Can't seem to correct it.

side note 2. So you pretty much can't do anything with your M0 when used as a transport? The minute I went to the menu, the music stopped playing. Is that normal? You pretty much can only adjust the volume via the wheel and that's it? Not that it really matters to me. Just curious since I started playing.

And maybe it's something in the LG Firmware since it has the DAC built in. Just a random uneducated guess :thinking:

Your volume is stuck at 27 on M0? It doesn't react to wheel at all turning? Can you check your setting, "Output options" and see if it's PO or LO?

If you use M0 as transport, you can do anything in its menu. But you are now talking about using it as USB DAC, in which states it only allows for changing volume.

Yes it works fine on Android default setting.

But I have tested 2 music apps (Onkyo HF Player and USB Audio Player Pro) and doesn't recognize M0 in those apps.

Is it a compatibility problem or USB driver problem?

Please find out that problem.

thanks,

If you phone works without problem with M0 when using stock music player, it will be question more up to the developers of these apps, what are they doing differently with the system.

This is great, but almost a year has passed since the release of m0, and the software still does not correspond to the title "music player".
One can only hope that Shanling will keep his word and add a flexible equalizer setting in m0 before he stops his support and update.

This is only relevant if you do not add a full-fledged equalizer to m0.
At the moment, m0 is like a lame cat due to the lack of a full equalizer.

What is easy for a developer who is familiar with the system will be too time consuming for an outsider.
This is for fanatics of audio player devices, but I work in a different linux area and I just want to get a full-fledged music player with equalizer and nothing more.
For most, like me, it will always be easier to buy a device from another manufacturer than with a shudder of the heart to see the “lame cat” m0 every day - which vets ignore ...

When new EQ is ready for M0, it will be posted as soon as possible.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 12, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #4,850 of 6,418
You need an OTG adaptor.
I use a Samsung OTG USB adaptor with my Galaxy S9+, and a short usb C cable, and it works perfectly, I use it to stream Tidal Masters form the phone and listen in the M0. The M0 is a very good travel companion.

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #4,853 of 6,418
Your volume is stuck at 27 on M0? It doesn't react to wheel at all turning? Can you check your setting, "Output options" and see if it's PO or LO?
i inadvertently changed the max volume under playback.

If you use M0 as transport, you can do anything in its menu. But you are now talking about using it as USB DAC, in which states it only allows for changing volume.[/quote]

I think my issue using it as a dac was the minute I touched the screen and it left the screen showing the bit rate, it stopped working as a DAC. That just seemed annoying. But I honestly don't care because I'll never use it as one. I just did it to test the LG phones.

If you phone works without problem with M0 when using stock music player, it will be question more up to the developers of these apps, what are they doing differently with the system.
For reference. I used JetAudio's app on the Samsung, and it worked just fine. I used the same app on the LG, and it didn't work. I think it's more an LG issue.

And another annoyance I came across is how many swipes it takes to back out to get to the main menu or into settings to make a change when you're playing music. Six swipes to get to the main menu is a bit cumbersome. Especially if you're doing some trial and error. Every time you go back into playing music it's six swipes over and over.

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #4,854 of 6,418
And another annoyance I came across is how many swipes it takes to back out to get to the main menu or into settings to make a change when you're playing music. Six swipes to get to the main menu is a bit cumbersome. Especially if you're doing some trial and error. Every time you go back into playing music it's six swipes over and over.

You can hold your finger on screen for 3 seconds and you will jump directly into main menu.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 12, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #4,855 of 6,418
Used my Samsung one. Worked just fine on my Note 9. Repeated on an LG G7 and a Q7+, and got nothing. Went into developer options and even set USB to Audio Source. Still nothing. Switched back to the Note 9, and it worked again.

So it definitely seems like an issue with the LG. That aside, if the phone has the same DAC, is there really a great reason to complicate the setup and use the M0 as a DAC then? I can see on standard phones, but not the LG's. Seems like it just creates more work.
Thanks for testing that @paddler57. My phones are LG. As you say, it's not really a critical problem, because the output from the LG phones is basically the same as that from the M0. I was only trying out of curiosity. Which begs the question... has anybody tried to connect an M0 to an M0 using a USB-C OTG cable? I.e., using the M0 as a transport, while using the M0 as a USB DAC? Did it improve the audio quality? :wink:

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #4,856 of 6,418
A bit overdramatic no? Admit it, this is Fish isn't it....

Nope sorry he is just another highly intelligent person who doesn't settle for mediocrity. Seriously though you need to stop fixating on me and find another man crush already. :)

Loving my Fiio M7 by the way, so nice having all the features M0 owners are still waiting on a year later. Replay Gain works perfectly by the way and gosh it even has a 10 band equalizer.

But seriously though I do hope Shanling is able to get these features added in the not to distant future. There I go being passive aggressive again, better than being aggressively passive like you. You do need to look up some new phrases though using passive aggressive all the time is getting old and shows a real lack of imagination.

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #4,857 of 6,418
Thanks for testing that @paddler57. My phones are LG. As you say, it's not really a critical problem, because the output from the LG phones is basically the same as that from the M0. I was only trying out of curiosity. Which begs the question... has anybody tried to connect an M0 to an M0 using a USB-C OTG cable? I.e., using the M0 as a transport, while using the M0 as a USB DAC? Did it improve the audio quality? :wink:

I know it works if you have standard cable with OTG adapter on one end or our one way USB-C to USB-C cable. Not sure what would happen if you connect to M0 with standard cable, not sure which one would be transport and which DAC.

Bonus point, with M5s or M2X, you can connect M0 over USB cable and use is as external hard drive to access more files.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #4,858 of 6,418
Nope sorry he is just another highly intelligent person who doesn't settle for mediocrity. Seriously though you need to stop fixating on me and find another man crush already. :)

Loving my Fiio M7 by the way, so nice having all the features M0 owners are still waiting on a year later. Replay Gain works perfectly by the way and gosh it even has a 10 band equalizer..

For someone who was supposed to have 'left' and quit the m0 you do seem to be still here?
It's like a child's tantrum: "I''m leaving!" hours later: "I'm really leaving!" *eventually at the door* "Still leaving!" *outside the door* "I've left!".

I was hoping we'd get some peace from you, it was a relief. Sadly not for long...really wish this forum had a block or mute function.

And when I have space in my pocket for something 2-3 times the size and an extra £60-70 to burn I'll let you know, but you're not really not comparing like with like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back