Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Mar 11, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #4,831 of 6,418
I take it you're not a programmer
999 bugs in the code
999 bugs
You take one out, patch it around
1846 bugs in the code

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #4,832 of 6,418
My Shanling M0 works great as a USB DAC when connected to my Mac.

But when connected to my android phone (LG V30) with a usb c - usb c cable, the M0 doesn't go into DAC mode and the phone doesn't switch its audio to the M0.

Any ideas?

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #4,833 of 6,418
I take it you're not a programmer
Why do you think so ?
You are fundamentally wrong, I'm just a programmer.
I do not speak English - I described it as I could.
Did the integer bother you ?? And float (32 bit) would not bother you in the description ??

It is easier for me to write code in the presence of sources, than to write a description in English - this is a trivial ini + parsing csv string.

But for example the contents of the config.ini from the player Shanling m0:
Code:
[PLAYER]
VOLUME=50
[PLAYSET]
JUMPFOLDER=1
BOOTVOLFLAG=0
BOOTVOL=20
MAXVOL=100
BALANCE=10
EQFLAG=0
EQTYPE=0
GAPLESS=0
MEMORYPLAY=1
FILTERMODE=3
[SYSSET]
LIGHTLEVEL=50
LIGHTTIME=2
BTCODING=2
THEME=5
DEEPSLEEP=1
SAVETIME=0
USBVOLMODE=1

I disassembled the m0 and m5s firmwares - this is how I saw the mention of the m2x (not yet released) in the m5s firmware.
From there, a line like %f:%f:%f:%f:%f:%f:%f:%f:%f:%f - this is how the equalizer parameters are used in the used mplayer (under the name hciplayer).

Believe me to make customEQ.ini loaded with microsd - no more than an hour of work.
All you need is Shanling to want to do this.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #4,834 of 6,418

But when connected to my android phone (LG V30) with a usb c - usb c cable, the M0 doesn't go into DAC mode and the phone doesn't switch its audio to the M0.

Any ideas?
You need an OTG adaptor.

Mar 11, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #4,837 of 6,418
Why do you think so ?
You are fundamentally wrong, I'm just a programmer.
I do not speak English - I described it as I could.
Did the integer bother you ?? And float (32 bit) would not bother you in the description ??

Ah sorry my apolgies - I see where you are coming from now. It is just that it isn't normal to implement an equalizer in the space of an hour. I think Shanling have said they can't do more in the way of equalization in the M0 because the CPU in the SOC isn't powerful enough.

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #4,841 of 6,418
Please answer those questions for Shanling M0:
1. Will a full-fledged parametric equalizer be implemented in M0 (as in m5s)?
2. Will MTouch OS 2 be on m0 (as already done with m5s and m2x)?
3. Is it possible to make at least manually created presets for equalizer?
A text editor on a PC, with a file on a microsd?
File Name: CustomEQ.ini
Suppose in the format:
Where is the variables% f is an integer from -12 to 12. In decibels.
Better if it supports decimal values.

Programmers work coding for a maximum of one hour.

At the moment, Shanling M0 is probably the only music player in which the equalizer functions are completely absent.
The available option with preset settings is not acceptable for the music player.

The absence of a custom equalizer in Shanling M0 is currently the main drawback in sound.
And the lack of programs for IOS and Android is the main disadvantage for convenience.
The vast majority of competitors have this functionality for a long time!

Ears, hearing and headphones are different for all people!
Does Shanling, when developing M0 software, stubbornly considers them all equal and unworthy equalizer?

We are working on new EQ system for MTouch 2.0, when we are satisfied with it, it will be released for M5s/M2x. If we get good feedback, it will be ported to M0.

We are looking into importing some of elements of MTouch 2.0 into M0.

No plans to add such system, where users would need to set some files on their computer.

But we are open to any activity by users of Shanling players. Community has access to our firmware files and our system is build under GPL, so you can reach out to us to acquire needed files.

Any ideas?

Are you also able to successfully use your M0 as an external DAC to your Samsung phone?

I can only say, look into settings of your phone.

We tested M0 with bunch of different Chinese phones running Android 8 and it worked on most of them without any problem. Unfortunately world of Android is so vast and random, we can't do much more.

One other thing to try: Get cheap USB-C OTG adapter and try standard USB-C cable that comes with M0.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 11, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #4,842 of 6,418
Ok, I feel like a newb here, but I've never used an outboard DAC and haven't used the M0 as a USB DAC to boot. Should music just magically play when I start it on the phone? The manual doesn't really say anything beyond making sure the USB setting is in DAC mode.

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #4,843 of 6,418

We tested M0 with bunch of different Chinese phones running Android 8 and it worked on most of them without any problem. Unfortunately world of Android is so vast and random, we can't do much more.

One other thing to try: Get cheap USB-C OTG adapter and try standard USB-C cable that comes with M0.
Thanks Frankie, I'll look into the settings. TBH, it's not a big deal, since my phone has the exact same DAC and amp as the M0. Just a curiosity for me... :)

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #4,844 of 6,418
and nevermind. I figured it out. So definitely wrong on not needing an otg adapter. Used my Samsung one. Worked just fine on my Note 9. Repeated on an LG G7 and a Q7+, and got nothing. Went into developer options and even set USB to Audio Source. Still nothing. Switched back to the Note 9, and it worked again.

So it definitely seems like an issue with the LG. That aside, if the phone has the same DAC, is there really a great reason to complicate the setup and use the M0 as a DAC then? I can see on standard phones, but not the LG's. Seems like it just creates more work.

Side note. My volume is stuck at 27 max. Can't seem to correct it.

side note 2. So you pretty much can't do anything with your M0 when used as a transport? The minute I went to the menu, the music stopped playing. Is that normal? You pretty much can only adjust the volume via the wheel and that's it? Not that it really matters to me. Just curious since I started playing.

And maybe it's something in the LG Firmware since it has the DAC built in. Just a random uneducated guess :thinking:

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #4,845 of 6,418
We are working on new EQ system for MTouch 2.0, when we are satisfied with it, it will be released for M5s/M2x. If we get good feedback, it will be ported to M0.

We are looking into importing some of elements of MTouch 2.0 into M0.

No plans to add such system, where users would need to set some files on their computer.

But we are open to any activity by users of Shanling players. Community has access to our firmware files and our system is build under GPL, so you can reach out to us to acquire needed files.

Yes it works fine on Android default setting.

But I have tested 2 music apps (Onkyo HF Player and USB Audio Player Pro) and doesn't recognize M0 in those apps.

Is it a compatibility problem or USB driver problem?

Please find out that problem.

thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back