Shanling ET3 - Dedicated Digital CD Transport, With USB Drive and Wi-Fi Support
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #754 of 769
I have an ET3 and a Pontus II 12th ed. I could try a standard HDMI cable and see what happens ?
Tried that out for you, works no problem. Pontus II lights correspond to ET3 SRC settings exactly for both PCM and DSD. Also listened to a track to be certain, sounds just great. So a standard HDMI cable that I previously used for a 4K bluray player connection and purchased from Amazon UK works just fine. The ET3 settings were left at default for I2S and DSD mode was Native DSD. Now I haven't checked whether left right channels are correct for both PCM and DSD but it sounds just fine to my ears.

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #755 of 769
Tried that out for you, works no problem. Pontus II lights correspond to ET3 SRC settings exactly for both PCM and DSD. Also listened to a track to be certain, sounds just great. So a standard HDMI cable that I previously used for a 4K bluray player connection and purchased from Amazon UK works just fine. The ET3 settings were left at default for I2S and DSD mode was Native DSD. Now I haven't checked whether left right channels are correct for both PCM and DSD but it sounds just fine to my ears.
Great to know, thanks :)

May 7, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #756 of 769
Hi, I am planning to buy an ET3. Is it a silent player? Does it make any mechanical noise when the disc is spinning?

May 7, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #757 of 769
Great to know, thanks :)
Just a wee note. You don't need a fancy hdmi cable, but generally with I2S the shorter the better. If you can get away with 50cm or shorter that's great, but don't sweat it if you can't.
No idea why, but that is the received wisdom. If using rj45, even shorter is better. Of course I2S was initially developed to be used inside players. This new fangled idea of using it as an interconnect has caused all sort of annoying issues.

May 10, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #761 of 769
Hello Melorin, please accept my apologies in advance if I’m incorrect on this ! You mean to tell me that that little transport, the one I just watched the review on I believe it’s the same unit needs a lens at this point in time unless you had some type of mechanical breakdown, which intern or destroyed the lens, how could it be possible that part would need to be replaced already
On that nice little unit, 🤷‍♀️I have
transports here that are over 20 years old
And are still reading just fine, I don’t know
For how much longer but their still reading
I’m well aware that these new replacements
Last approximately 2 years or so, please
Advise their are a few lens/ pickup distributors
But from what I understand from Audio buddies are coming out of China and do work, but they have no longevity to them uncomfortable to the originals shame everything changed. It’s called
Plained obsolescence , their on the net www
What’s the problem with the manufacturer? That’s a damn near new transport I believe if we’re on the same wavelength well best of luck in your endeavor. They are available.

May 10, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #762 of 769
On that nice little unit, 🤷‍♀️I have
transports here that are over 20 years old
And are still reading just fine, I don’t know
For how much longer but their still reading
I’m well aware that these new replacements
Last approximately 2 years or so, please
Advise their are a few lens/ pickup distributors
But from what I understand from Audio buddies are coming out of China and do work, but they have no longevity to them uncomfortable to the originals shame everything changed. It’s called
Plained obsolescence , their on the net www
What’s the problem with the manufacturer? That’s a damn near new transport I believe if we’re on the same wavelength well best of luck in your endeavor. They are available.
I think he just wants a spare "just in case", which seems sensible. Looks like they are pretty readily available at present, and cheap, so stocking up makes good sense.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #763 of 769
I think he just wants a spare "just in case", which seems sensible. Looks like they are pretty readily available at present, and cheap, so stocking up makes good sense.
Probably I will do the same. Audiophonics just shipped mine :)
If my ET3 exceeds my expectations I will buy spare parts for it.

May 10, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #764 of 769
Smart move I absolutely agree with you my Wadia transport, uses the VRDS, CD drive, trying to locate any type of parts for these units is like looking for a needle in a haystack approximately seven or eight years ago I picked up all the extra parts I could find for that drive they were a very common used
Drive unit in a lot of the esoteric models Macintosh even used the teac vrds drive in one of their units I believe it's the MCD-751 transport only
I recently came to find out there are a bunch of very nice guys that run a small company called liquid audio these guys really love these type of drives they know all the tricks and I believe have a nice supply spare parts major problem being they're in Australia naturally I would have to ship my unit to them in a solid wooden crate in order to guarantee it would arrive hopefully still in one piece, but these seem like the go-to guys for better CD drives and things of that nature I still think the TEAC VRDS drive is still one of the best ever produced from a series of bench tests also that were performed but there are plenty of excellent drives out there being made today I'm a little partial to the VRDS drive as a matter of fact TEAC just released two new units one is a dedicated transport only and the other is a full player with built-in dac, it resembles the old one and appearance very much so they're kind of excited about it I think they're rambling on about it being a 20 or 25th anniversary of the drive reappearing I still like the looks of the old one but they did a hell of a job it's approximately, $.2600.00 , for the transport which I would assume it's safe to say that's about correct my CD transport is exactly 24 years old I try to handle it like a baby I don't even use the remote I think they're really an awesome drive unit and I'm very happy to see it come back I believe it was introduced late last year or early this year 2024, A FAVOR to ask of you guys if you know anyone or any place in the United States that has access to parts such as these & still works on them please let me know thanks to all in advance I would greatly appreciate it, everything has a longevity span but I just like that drive and I'm going to keep it running as long as I can, same story everything you need or want is not in this country anymore ,
Geez I wonder why ? I'll just leave it at that but very smart move if you like the unit you have get all the extra parts you can smart man, before planned obsolescence takes over again smart move good luck with the extras

May 10, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #765 of 769
Darko did a review on the new Teac. Nice looking machine. Not sure which Vrds drive it is based on. Some were much better than others.
I have a Jay's Audio CDT2 mk 3 which I think has a legacy Philips CDM 4 drive. I hope they have plenty of spares, because no one is building those these days. Or the cdm 2 in the CDT 3.
Until I heard about the new Teac I thought the only folks making very high quality redbook only drives were Stream Unlimited, and they are super expensive.
I know the drive in the ET3 is very good, but not sure if it is new old stock or still being manufactured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back