Shanling ET3 - Dedicated Digital CD Transport, With USB Drive and Wi-Fi Support
Feb 20, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #661 of 755
@Shanling could you help me?

After moving to new place my ET3 won’t connect to Wi-Fi, both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. I tried it as suggested in manual and through SyncLink and every time I get an error:
IMG_6637.png

Firmware is 1.6

I tried settings reset, turning device on and off, restarting device, unplugging, turning wi-fi on and off… basically nothing works. Previously it also was quite finicky with the wi-fi setup but after few tries it always connected and stayed connected. Now for whatever reason it doesn’t work.

My Wi-Fi works fine with every other device and my iPhone is updated to the latest FW.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #662 of 755

After moving to new place my ET3 won’t connect to Wi-Fi, both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. I tried it as suggested in manual and through SyncLink and every time I get an error:
IMG_6637.png

Firmware is 1.6

I tried settings reset, turning device on and off, restarting device, unplugging, turning wi-fi on and off… basically nothing works. Previously it also was quite finicky with the wi-fi setup but after few tries it always connected and stayed connected. Now for whatever reason it doesn’t work.

My Wi-Fi works fine with every other device and my iPhone is updated to the latest FW.
I couldn't get mine to connect on ios...found an old android tablet and it worked then

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #663 of 755
absolutely agree with all of this.

On the one hand what I *really* want is a good, reliable transport that includes decent hardware with a reasonable variety of output options. In this sense the ET3 delivers. I think? and that's kinda the thing...we don't know how closely redbook specs have been followed. We don't know (or at least I don't) if, for example, the coax output terminal actually offers the 75 ohm resistance inherent to the coax digital spec. etc. It's well known that there are plenty of devices out there that have "balanced" inputs or outputs, but that the terminal is not connected to anything that's actually balanced in implementation - it's just a plug that accepts xlr. The point here is that at minimum, imo a CD transport should meet standard redbook and "transport" (ie output format) specs at a minimum. And the bigger point is that on some level (until someone tears one of these down to really look at the details) we simply trust that everything is in order, right?

As a follow on, if I see that this or that "extra feature" touted in the sales literature doesn't actually work in real life, this puts the whole device into question. This is just my natural predeliction - call me crazy but if the top level stuff that anyone can see and easily verify doesn't work, I have to wonder what else is not really working too. Further, when it comes to selecting a device I will naturally evaluate the "extras" that I don't need, to see if perhaps they would be enjoyable to have anyway. The "extra" DSD64 upsampling would have been a really nice feature to reality check whether it might be worthwhile to pay more for (let alone find) a custom cable to leverage the other i2s-only upsampling rates on offer, but alas, couldn't do that due to the feature not actually being implemented. Net takeaway is that the only "extra" (compared to other *transports*) I could verify was the upsampling to 192 pcm.

This sense of being let down by "false promises" was a significant part of the reason I sent mine back. The other reason was the lid, for which I could not find any love, though I genuinely looked for it. Glass lid + cat + occasionally clumsy human is not a great bet, long term - yes I considered this before ordering but wanted to see it first hand. The rattly sound/feeling of the plastic puck does not give an aura of durability. The occasional "open" warning that prevented play *even though* the lid visually appeared to be in place (I'm not stupid, I can actually see if the lid is in place or slightly askew) was not encouraging. And as reported by another user, I too got the occasional horrid rattling blender sounds on play, again, in spite of the lid being visually "in place". It was suggested he had a defective unit. Maybe I did too. But two lid related defects out of a very limited set of reviews is not a great average.

Regarding the idea that other devices have this "promise first, deliver (much) later" thing going on is wild, if it's true. I personally have never received a piece of audio equipment that failed to deliver the functionality outlined in its description, ever. Well unless it was just plain old broken. Which can happen, sure, but that's not really the same thing is it? I was still entertaining the option to keep the unit in spite of the myriad "yeah, no, not really..." revelations coming out here in discussions, but with the lid misbehavior on top of it? No.

Also I wasn't crazy about the presentation with some recordings. It tended to present vocals "pushed back" - I had an especially funny experience listening to "Sympathy for the Devil" - the bongos were blaring from one speaker, the "wooo wooo!"s blaring from the other, and poor Mick Jaggar was recessed a bit between yet "behind" them...audible but the vocals were well out of normal balance in a way I have never heard before. As much as I can appreciate a good laugh, I would like to listen to this album and have it sound fairly normal. Again maybe it was a defect but given all the talk about Shanling "house sound" I have to wonder. Really a transport should not introduce any "house sound" by my estimation, that's what a dac/amp are for.

None of this is to say that others don't or shouldn't enjoy this device. This is purely my experience and my analysis of the thing. It is not my bag, but might be yours, and if it is, that's fantastic! May you enjoy it for a long time.

TLDR;

You didn't like it. Given it has no DAC and is a CDT, there is no "house sound" the AES/EBU output I'm using doesn't trip the poor signal lock on my Yggdrasil like the much more expensive Rega it replaced. The extras such as the DLNA, BT, Airplay, and USB are secondary to it being a CDT. I have other devices that perform those functions flawlessly. Yes, it would be awesome for the extras to work flawlessly. However, as a CDT, it works incredibly well.

The build quality is excellent. Period. I don't know what top loading CDTs anywhere near the price that are better build quality. Again, the much more expensive Rega I own has a lackluster at best plastic top.

It is the new norm for manufacturers to introduce products that are not fully functional until after release.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #665 of 755
Feb 20, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #666 of 755

IMG_6637.png

Firmware is 1.6

Have you followed this steps?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Io_OdleRwRSSBVB5P-b2cNohG69UiiWE/view?usp=sharing .

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #669 of 755
@Private Sure, I completely understand and encourage you to "do you", but I personally am not willing to spend money on a device that maybe will work as intended...someday. That's why I sent it back while I still could. Also if it's a hardware issue (like a misbehaving lid or slot that scratches discs - well known for several slot loaders, actually) it will never get fixed unless you want to shell out more money to buy the new and improved version.

I'm perfectly fine living with my old player until I find something "better" (for me). Is it perfect? no! But there is nothing objectively wrong with it in terms of playback functionality, and it isn't costing me anything to keep using it. I am in no desperate position and can be choosy about what compromises I am willing to live with. If it breaks, yes I may be SOL for a bit, but this is life. It's unfortunate that you have to live with subpar equipment in your line of work, but I am not in that position, and I doubt I'm alone.

Again, my opinions are my own and intended to give Shanling input for their next round (of firmware, hardware, whatever). If they ever release a pure transport without the schnickschnack, maybe I will try it if I'm still in the market, but the ET3 is not *my* bag for the reasons given.
Don’t be condescending, if you don’t value my opinion no need to be rude about it.

Throwing it back at me with ‘you do you’ is exactly that.

My opinion is that you have only complained about it and not really given any solid input as you claim.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #670 of 755
I know you have probably tried this, but have you given the laser a clean? And the cds themselves. Sometimes we get so fascinated with the tech we forget the basics.
I recently spent a week troubleshooting a vintage amp which became incredibly noisy, before realising it just didn't like the speakers I was using. With the original speakers I had used it was perfect.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #671 of 755
@Private Our opinions differ. You are entitled to your "you" as I am to my "me". I have no feelings of condescention about this whatsoever, but when someone tries to rebut my stated views, I do feel compelled to point out that we have different views which are personal and not absolute, and that is perfectly fine. Which is what I did, and nothing more.

I honestly didn't find much to like about the ET3, but again, that's me. Simple!

You didn't like it. Given it has no DAC and is a CDT, there is no "house sound"

indeed I would expect it should be so, but I can't explain why vocals were pushed back on so many recordings, "Sympathy for the Devil" exhibiting the most extreme, silliest example. Something is going on there which I have never heard in my system, with my DAC, with three other players/transports <shrug> Others have raved about this device offering "Shanling house sound" so I really have no idea what was going on.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #672 of 755
@Private Our opinions differ. You are entitled to your "you" as I am to my "me". I have no feelings of condescention about this whatsoever, but when someone tries to rebut my stated views, I do feel compelled to point out that we have different views which are personal and not absolute, and that is perfectly fine. Which is what I did, and nothing more.

I honestly didn't find much to like about the ET3, but again, that's me. Simple!

indeed I would expect it should be so, but I can't explain why vocals were pushed back on so many recordings, "Sympathy for the Devil" exhibiting the most extreme, silliest example. Something is going on there which I have never heard in my system, with my DAC, with three other players/transports <shrug> Others have raved about this device offering "Shanling house sound" so I really have no idea what was going on.
That's an interesting point from both of you, and I kind of agree with you both. If transports don't affect the sound then you might as well get a cheap dvd player and use the digital output, but I think we all agree that transports do affect the sound, but likely in terms of accuracy and fidelity to the original recording. So not a "house sound" as such, because it will differ with each recording.
The Dac on the other hand will affect things like sound stage, imaging, warmth, detail etc. and that is where the house sound comes in. Of course if the machine is up sampling or converting to Dsd that adds another layer of complexity.
Ultimately of course it comes down to our own perception. Our own "house sound" from between our ears ( no offence to the one eared amongst you).

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #673 of 755
I certainly did not aim to make anything personal or to be rude myself @nonameGiven but rebuttal was indeed needed. We can agree to disagree all day long and nothing will come of it. I certainly gushed over the ET3 sound and still do.

It is simply not true that everything is perfect in this magical audio fairytale where everything just works except the flawed ET3.

In the last few years I bought audiophile products and home theater products costing many times the price of ET3 from Marantz and Sony and they simply failed to do what was advertised on the box. So don't give me the pity party by saying that I unfortunately have to deal with subpar equipment. These are titans of the industry, not some unknown companies with limited recourses. So I am not in some invisible minority as you make it sound.

It's def a mixed message to say you are perfectly fine with the compromise of using your old CD player but allow no such compromise to new-to-market device. I am fine with this is your opinion and this is mine kind of replay but your response was not great. You did not adjust your expectations, considering it's a top loader. I shared with you that even the HQs manufacturers and developers of audio equipment may start rough out of the gate. Is every product like that, no, but it sure does seem like more and more are.

I could be mistaken and mixing you up with someone here but I thought you came into the conversation saying that 9 out of 10 times the CD trey, lid and playback does not work properly and got rid of it. That's completely unacceptable and of course that would be a defective unit. A unit that is mishandled by a human or cat is a you problem not a ET3 problem.

Beyond praise, I have had plenty to say about things that don't work or I wish they worked differently. Like most here, I respect your opinion and the ability to do the same with out judgment. @Shanling has responded to pretty much everything discussed here. You on the other hand are complaining about the unit you don't use anymore. Move on.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #674 of 755

I don't know how many CD transports you have, but out of the 3 I have, the Shanling through AES/EBU is the most transparent and consistent. That track you mentioned is pretty hard panned as typical of the era. I have the vinyl release and it is similar (but not dramatically so) to what you describe. It may not be that the ET3 is presenting poorly, but you prefer the presentation of your other transports/sources. Regardless, you don't like it. That's cool.

I am unaware of this Shanling house sound given that the M0pro, M1S, and EC Mini all sound somewhat different. The EC Mini is the least neutral of the three. It's not like Sony that has a warmish bassier house sound. All are ESS DACs. Other than USB vs AES/EBU vs Coax, I notice no inherent sound to my transports. YMMV and IMHO

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #675 of 755
regarding the remote control for this unit: I received a basic black remote with a Shanling logo on it, labeled RC-T3. The front surface has a bit of texture on it, but it does not match the remote shown in the product photos for "what's in the box" on the Shanling website, and it does not fit in the cutout next to the lid in the packaging. Instead it was tucked into the same section with the power cable, next to the main unit.

Is this a legit remote which is sometimes provided for this unit? If not I obviously need to take this up with the seller.

This is normal, the remote control was switched in later runs.

Took a punt on the ET3 since getting back into CDs and I love it...great player...the app and some of the syncing issues are a bit unpredictable esph with an attached USB...sometimes DSD files freeze up the whole thing and since adding them I'm getting a weird kinda crash screen with a yellow stripe down the centre which is a bit worrying...will take a pic when it happens again, also getting no DSD64 playback through AES, just says 174khz....have a few MQA CD's that will play higher res as DSD but Through the USB cable but every now and again..just go to white noise and then freeze up the player...I'm hoping these can be ironed out soon....I'm running it into a Auralic Vega G2 Dac

Can you tell me what USB drive are you using and what DSD files? maybe send us one that causes this issue for testing?

DSD64 over AES/coax/optical issue was reported to engineers and we await for info from them.

MQA playback can be sometimes tricky with all the matching with the DAC and unfolding. Still working on perfecting it.

HI,

I just tried to update the firmware from 1.5 to 1.6 via usb (local) and got the message 'Update Failed'.

Now when I turn the power switch at the back of the unit only the small blue LED at the front lights up nothing else...

If there a way to solve this?

Is your ET3 working now? Can you send us email to info@shanling.com so we can assist you with this further?

I'm reporting this device incompatibility issue with most DLNA apps from last summer on this thread. I've never seen Shanling's representative here say a simple 'We know we have this problem and we'll do what we can to fix it' or 'this problem can't be fixed'. It's as if the problem isn't there, that's quite annoying from my point of view.

We discussed the DLNA issue repeatedly in the past. We still await any improvement on this by our software team.

We posted about it here for example: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...nd-wi-fi-support.968434/page-14#post-17765453

Firmware is 1.6

Can you check if your Wi-Fi has an option for legacy mode or anything similar? Some newer routers are problematic for ET3 connection and must be switched to this legacy mode for compatibility with older Wi-Fi module in ET3.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back