Shanling ET3 - Dedicated Digital CD Transport, With USB Drive and Wi-Fi Support
Feb 19, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #631 of 793
I wonder how many members participating in this thread use the ET-3 and how many have a problematic unit…
It will be interesting (especially for the brand) to know if the problems are more software or hardware (drive) related.

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #632 of 793
I wonder how many members participating in this thread use the ET-3 and how many have a problematic unit…
It will be interesting (especially for the brand) to know if the problems are more software or hardware (drive) related.
I've had it since last summer and I don't have a problematic unit, it's a good device. Just a little disappointed by the firmware updates that have not yet fixed problems on native features of the device, such as the incompatibility with many DLNA apps on both Android and Windows platforms. Perfectly compatible apps, for example, with small 90 euro streamers such as the Wiim mini. I see some in this thread asking for new features, I doubt they will ever come if the native ones haven't been fixed yet.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #633 of 793
No issues. Happy with the ET-3 for my use cases. :)

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #634 of 793
I have my unit now for three months and still happy with it. Works nice and great sound through I2S ( use VandenHul cable). Better lows as with my Proceed PDT2. Last weekend I tried the upsample options but in my case I prefer no upsampling. Much more natural sounding. Would be great of the display had also a dim option (now it is on or off). Didnt use the stream option or bluetooth. Uwe ET3 only as cd drive.

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #635 of 793
I got the ET3 after watching a Darko review. Bought it because it is a top loading and neat looking cd player. Using coax at the moment, I think it sounds good enough for me. I am happy with it. When I finally figured out which DAC I want I will most like use the USB out.

As for streaming I have Sonos, Wiim and Bluesound and they all provide a more stable better user experience. If you are looking for streamer look somewhere else.

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #636 of 793
As for streaming I have Sonos, Wiim and Bluesound and they all provide a more stable better user experience. If you are looking for streamer look somewhere else.
That's exactly how it is. And it's a pity, with a little effort this device could have become a complete player capable of being the only audio source of a system. Instead, it will most likely remain just a very good Cd transport.

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #637 of 793
That's exactly how it is. And it's a pity, with a little effort this device could have become a complete player capable of being the only audio source of a system. Instead, it will most likely remain just a very good Cd transport.

Shanling is famous for adding functionality after the initial release. Too early to lose hope.

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #638 of 793
I wish they'd make an "ET-2"; the CD transport minus the streaming functionality. Put a nice simple display on it rather than the currently hideous one (as discussed on this thread) and job done.

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #640 of 793
I honestly don't expect them to add new features, I just wish the native functions, the ones with which the device was born, worked properly. DLNA doesn't work with most apps.

After purchasing several Shanling products, almost none of them work 100% as advertised at launch.

Shanling is not alone. I just saw a Hiby player advertise Apt X adaptive as available by update "soon" T+A promised on their $1600 BT ANC heaphones LDAC capabilities that later they retracted. I think it's the new norm to rush a product to release and let the early adopters do the final testing.

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #641 of 793
It is interesting to hear all the complaints because the ET-3 does not quite conform with a particular frame of reference. I will just offer a different perspective.

For context, for Roon, I actually use the iFi NEO Stream as a NAA for HQPlayer, or the Eversolo DMP A6. I suspect I am more familiar with the Shanling way of implementing streaming because of the M30 and of course the Shanling DAPs as well.

I actually have no issues with the DLNA streaming but then again, I use it to play music from the attached HDD or from my minimserver library of music on my Melco NAS. I also use DLNA to play music from QQ Music via their iteration of DLNA known as QPlay.

When I only want to stream from the attached HDD, I will use SyncLink to play from it.

I also use the AirPlay functionality. Which is great for someone on iOS. Darko had explained in an article how AirPlay offers streaming at 44/16. So, I get the UI of iOS and playback through the convenience of the ET-3.

For BT, I tend to use android devices like android based DAPs to do so. Here I get LDAC streaming.

There is, of course, the CD player. Which offers me the option of upsampling. I do enjoy the upsampling options. I have the Holo Spring 3 KTE connected via I2S and the Bricasti M1 connected via coaxial. I also like how my CDs sound off it.

So, for that price point, the Shanling ET-3 is a great little player for my use cases. :)

If all you want is a simple CD player, I recall that Shanling has a range of offerings in that space as well.

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #642 of 793
After purchasing several Shanling products, almost none of them work 100% as advertised at launch.

Shanling is not alone. I just saw a Hiby player advertise Apt X adaptive as available by update "soon" T+A promised on their $1600 BT ANC heaphones LDAC capabilities that later they retracted. I think it's the new norm to rush a product to release and let the early adopters do the final testing.
That's the way it is, and not just in the audio industry. It can be, after all, the ET3 is competitively priced. Except that it came out in July 2023, we are in February 2024. 'Early adopters' is perhaps no longer suitable as a term.

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #643 of 793
If all you want is a simple CD player, I recall that Shanling has a range of offerings in that space as well.
But not a simple CD Transport. Sometimes a 'jack of all trades' is a master of none.

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #644 of 793
That's the way it is, and not just in the audio industry. It can be, after all, the ET3 is competitively priced. Except that it came out in July 2023, we are in February 2024. 'Early adopters' is perhaps no longer suitable as a term.

Fair point. Is 6 months considered a mature product? I don't know.

It took Chord 6 years to get the Poly mostly right. 🤣

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #645 of 793
But not a simple CD Transport. Sometimes a 'jack of all trades' is a master of none.

You missed the point: if all you wanted was a CD Player, there are other offerings in that space from Shanling.

Well, the ET-3 serves my use cases very nicely. :)

Anyway, will let @Shanling offer his views when he's back from the Chinese New Year break. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back