Shanling ET3 - Dedicated Digital CD Transport, With USB Drive and Wi-Fi Support
Jan 15, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #482 of 793
@Shanling Is there any other thread for feature requests?

You can send us PM or email to info@shanling.com

@Shanling More issue on ET3 freeze after airplay mode:

The player can switch to airplay mode automatically when being streamed to by an Airplay source device like a phone running Roon or other music app, but if the player is turned off to standby mode, after it exits standby mode, it stuck in Airplay mode, CD won’t play or resume Airplay unless power recycle the unit.

It seems the ET3 don’t clean up itself after Airplay mode. Even after using the physical Mode button to cycle out to a different mode say BT or CD mode, the play often still freeze and needs to be power cycled.

Software team is checking on it, so far wasn't able to reproduce it.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 18, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #483 of 793
@Shanling
DAY 1 (to be a tad dramatic)

Maybe I don't understand how the ET3 upscales 16bit/44.1 data YET but why does the DSD64 output equal 44.1kHz?
DSD128 equals 88.2kHz, DSD256 equals 176.4kHz according to the ET3.

Unless I am mistaken DSD64 would be equivalent 88.2kHz, and so on. right?

I did not use USB out to different DAC's yet but just wanted to listen today via outputs that can output simultaneously and go back and forth a little between my current transport 6000CDT.

Even without a long critical listen it was fairly obvious that ET3 has a bit blacker deeper soundstage, is more fluid ...tiny bit more 3D. For the first time 6000CDT sounded flat. Curious what more critical listening, and my test tracks will reveal.

Impressive build and beautiful design @Shanling, tho it did freeze the first time I booted it up ( : took a few a few try's before I could select the language. On 1.6 out of the box.

No I2S input DACs in my possession, so that's the only output port I can't use right now.

Does the ET3 have to be switched on/off, restarted or is switching between DOP.D2P and DSD Native instantaneous?

Maybe I am in the minority here, but the VINYL background while playing CD's is not my cup of tea. Will be my first feature request, to provide option for background image/solid color and different track display.

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #484 of 793
@Shanling
DAY 1 (to be a tad dramatic)

Maybe I don't understand how the ET3 upscales 16bit/44.1 data YET but why does the DSD64 output equal 44.1kHz?
DSD128 equals 88.2kHz, DSD256 equals 176.4kHz according to the ET3.

Unless I am mistaken DSD64 would be equivalent 88.2kHz, and so on. right?
Does the ET3 have to be switched on/off, restarted or is switching between DOP.D2P and DSD Native instantaneous?

Please what exact setup are you using in this scenario? I'm not really sure when you see theses 88.2, 176.4 sampling rates readings when running SRC.

Switching DSD mode is instantaneous on the side of ET3. DACs can differ a bit on this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 18, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #485 of 793
Please what exact setup are you using in this scenario? I'm not really sure when you see theses 88.2, 176.4 sampling rates readings when running SRC.

Switching DSD mode is instantaneous on the side of ET3. DACs can differ a bit on this.
My DACs show and interpret the input sample rates, they both match. If I set up SRC on ET3 to be 192kHz, both of the DACs will show input sample rate as 192kHz. If I set up ET3 to output in DSD64, they read it as 44.1kHz as I mentioned.

The "lounge" system dac's are Chord Qutest and Eversolo DMP-A6.

Connected with AES and co-ax outputs from ET3.

Will listen to USB tomorrow, but I would imagine that would show as 44.1kHz as well since USB has no upsampling.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #486 of 793
My DACs show and interpret the input sample rates, they both match. If I set up SRC on ET3 to be 192kHz, both of the DACs will show input sample rate as 192kHz. If I set up ET3 to output in DSD64, they read it as 44.1kHz as I mentioned.

The "lounge" system dac's are Chord Qutest and Eversolo DMP-A6.

Connected with AES and co-ax outputs from ET3.

Will listen to USB tomorrow, but I would imagine that would show as 44.1kHz as well since USB has no upsampling.
Checking with audio engineers on it.

Jan 19, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #487 of 793
Jan 19, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #489 of 793
s it just me, or is anything on ET3 impossible to read from just a few feet away?

CD
SRC 192kHz 24 bit
13-6
01:23

Mine ET3 will primarily be used as a CDT, via it's generous digital outputs, so no airplay, synclink, BT etc. Sure it's a great value for someone who wants to use those features but as some here have already mentioned ...straight up CDT for me. When I look up I would like to see the track and it's run time or remain time.

So the display screen for the CD player portion is something I wish to be able to change. There is a need to have an option to choose a different image. A solid color background imagine would be best with classic blue CD lettering , just would be easier to see. In largest font size possible on the tiny screen. It's beautifully designed transport, the screen size suits it, but the size of the font and white on yellow background is not great.

Not sure why would there be an image of Vinyl with the yellow "sticker" with white digits over it, it all blends together too well from the seating position. It's a serious (and affordable) high end transport so why have this gimmick "vinyl" image, respectively no offense to the designers.

I find it also weird that the CD running time is displayed as 45:4 or 62:7 ...why not 45:04 ?
The SRC rate, with the tiny yellow font is impossible to read from anywhere but up close, since it's something you set once and it's not variable (for the CD section at least) I would rather prefer it it wasn't there at all. It just adds to the clutter, especially with a few rows of white yellow, white on yellow, it all blooms and blends together.

My preference would be:

Place the cd in, it displays ... 10 42:49
Start the CD
, it displays ... 01 00:03

At top of the page is in an image of Shanlings new SACD, the blue color that displays SCDI.3 in the image would be amazing on black background on ET3 as an option. I understand that the black background would blend in into the rest of the front panel, which is fine by me but a faint outline in silver or same blue could emphasize the screen circle.

@Shanling Do I need to make a formal Shanling feature request for this?

Anyone else thinking it would be great to have an option for display?

(I copied this over from another forum post)

Jan 19, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #490 of 793
s it just me, or is anything on ET3 impossible to read from just a few feet away?

CD
SRC 192kHz 24 bit
13-6
01:23

Mine ET3 will primarily be used as a CDT, via it's generous digital outputs, so no airplay, synclink, BT etc. Sure it's a great value for someone who wants to use those features but as some here have already mentioned ...straight up CDT for me. When I look up I would like to see the track and it's run time or remain time.

So the display screen for the CD player portion is something I wish to be able to change. There is a need to have an option to choose a different image. A solid color background imagine would be best with classic blue CD lettering , just would be easier to see. In largest font size possible on the tiny screen. It's beautifully designed transport, the screen size suits it, but the size of the font and white on yellow background is not great.

Not sure why would there be an image of Vinyl with the yellow "sticker" with white digits over it, it all blends together too well from the seating position. It's a serious (and affordable) high end transport so why have this gimmick "vinyl" image, respectively no offense to the designers.

I find it also weird that the CD running time is displayed as 45:4 or 62:7 ...why not 45:04 ?
The SRC rate, with the tiny yellow font is impossible to read from anywhere but up close, since it's something you set once and it's not variable (for the CD section at least) I would rather prefer it it wasn't there at all. It just adds to the clutter, especially with a few rows of white yellow, white on yellow, it all blooms and blends together.

My preference would be:

Place the cd in, it displays ... 10 42:49
Start the CD
, it displays ... 01 00:03

At top of the page is in an image of Shanlings new SACD, the blue color that displays SCDI.3 in the image would be amazing on black background on ET3 as an option. I understand that the black background would blend in into the rest of the front panel, which is fine by me but a faint outline in silver or same blue could emphasize the screen circle.

@Shanling Do I need to make a formal Shanling feature request for this?

Anyone else thinking it would be great to have an option for display?

(I copied this over from another forum post)

Mine is primarily a CDT. I have mine to display time remaining. There isn't any readability issues with the display from where I sit. You may want to use synclink since it not only controls the ET3, but also mirrors the display.

Jan 19, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #491 of 793
Mine is primarily a CDT. I have mine to display time remaining. There isn't any readability issues with the display from where I sit. You may want to use synclink since it not only controls the ET3, but also mirrors the display.
Cool, thanks for the tip, but I rather not reach for the phone/tablet when I am listening to CD's.

I think it's fair to ask for additional option replacing the format layout and vinyl background. Definitely don't expect everyone to agree on the readability with me, more difficult at night for me as the whites bloom and blend more into the background.

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #493 of 793
Got the ET3 today, hooked with r26 and it sounds so natural and organic.

I am getting pop noises when I turn the unit off, via i2s connection.
It's a custom hdmi cable
R26 is the Gustard R2R DAC ? I have a similar issue when tried I2S connection from my ET3 to my R26, the pop noise comes when I stop the CD from playing or pause the play. I am now using the AES connection without any issue between ET3 and R26 DAC, up sampling to 192K hz.

My friend told me that this issue might be caused by R26’s I2S implementation and its unique I2S PIN configuration. Other DAC’s I2S PIN follows the PS Audio I2S configuration have no pops when connected to ET3 via I2S.

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #494 of 793
R26 is the Gustard R2R DAC ? I have a similar issue when tried I2S connection from my ET3 to my R26, the pop noise comes when I stop the CD from playing or pause the play. I am now using the AES connection without any issue between ET3 and R26 DAC, up sampling to 192K hz.

My friend told me that this issue might be caused by R26’s I2S implementation and its unique I2S PIN configuration. Other DAC’s I2S PIN follows the PS Audio I2S configuration have no pops when connected to ET3 via I2S.

Yes. It is interesting. No issues with popping sounds when connected to the Holo Spring 3 KTE.

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #495 of 793

Yes, thank you

I think it would be better to turn off the dac or switch input before turning off the CDT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back