Shanling ET3 - Dedicated Digital CD Transport, With USB Drive and Wi-Fi Support
Jan 7, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #436 of 781
It is in the manual, but you would be forgiven for missing it. No.7 of Security Instructions. For some reason I cant copy and paste it but its there.

"Please try and avoid using this unit when it is charging"
Got it.

@Shanling care to clarify?

That's not only vague, but completely contradictory to how the "in vehicle" mode works.

Screenshot_20240107_130110_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #438 of 781
The EC Mini is about the smallest you can get without going into the "toy" CD players. Same basic CD transport and laser as ET3.

The ET3 isn't really that small. It's more narrow than the URD, but it's still pretty deep. I went with the ET3 over URD because it is a better form factor for me. It also has more features for a little more than 1/2 the price.

ECMini is using same CD driver and laser as Shanling CD80/CA80.
Shanling ET3 is using components of higher quality level and we consider it to be quite an upgrade.

It is in the manual, but you would be forgiven for missing it. No.7 of Security Instructions. For some reason I cant copy and paste it but its there.

"Please try and avoid using this unit when it is charging"
It's default recommendation for all battery powered devices. You could find that even in most manual for smartphones.
Don't think too much over it.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #439 of 781
Shanling ET3 is using components of higher quality level and we consider it to be quite an upgrade.

Absolutely. The ET3 is incredible. It replaced a considerably more expensive Rega Apollo. No complaints for its performance over AES/EBU.

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #440 of 781
Tried to upgrade firmware by OTA, and my unit stuck on message "FW Downloaded 0.46%"
What the safe way to reset it? I wish I downloaded the file first :smile:
Can I just switch it off?

UPD after 5 mins: just pressed on Back button and everything was ok :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #441 of 781
Tried to upgrade firmware by OTA, and my unit stuck on message "FW Downloaded 0.46%"
What the safe way to reset it? I wish I downloaded the file first :smile:
Can I just switch it off?

UPD after 5 mins: just pressed on Back button and everything was ok :ksc75smile:
Glad that it worked out. :)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #442 of 781

It's default recommendation for all battery powered devices. You could find that even in most manual for smartphones.
Don't think too much over it.
Thanks Shanling. Appreciate the clarification. Love my mini. Great product.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #443 of 781
Can I get some get feedback from anyone using the ET3 for streaming over AirPlay? Is it %100 stable? Is the sound quality good (for AirPlay)? Does starting a stream from your iOS device wake the ET3 from standby? Does album art display Over AP? Does it ever drop Wi-Fi suddenly? It sounds like it can be difficult to get on one’s network.

I’ve been looking for a transport/CD player with Airplay for a bit, but this is the first I’ve found under $1000. If someone knows of any others I’d greatly appreciate if you shared! I currently use Apple Music streamed to a Node 2i into an RME ADI 2 dac, but I’ve been looking for a transport and would like to consolidate if possible. I don’t use any other streaming service right now, but I have in the past, so the ability to do that is also appealing for future proofing.

This looks like a very sweet transport and streamer, but all the bugs in the thread are concerning to say the least. I’ve been disappointed in the past with audiophile equipment that was buggy and not user friendly and I’m past the point of constantly wanting to fiddle with stuff. I just want it to work and that’s what I have now. Thanks!

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #444 of 781
Can I get some get feedback from anyone using the ET3 for streaming over AirPlay? Is it %100 stable? Is the sound quality good (for AirPlay)? Does starting a stream from your iOS device wake the ET3 from standby? Does album art display Over AP? Does it ever drop Wi-Fi suddenly? It sounds like it can be difficult to get on one’s network.

I’ve been looking for a transport/CD player with Airplay for a bit, but this is the first I’ve found under $1000. If someone knows of any others I’d greatly appreciate if you shared! I currently use Apple Music streamed to a Node 2i into an RME ADI 2 dac, but I’ve been looking for a transport and would like to consolidate if possible. I don’t use any other streaming service right now, but I have in the past, so the ability to do that is also appealing for future proofing.

This looks like a very sweet transport and streamer, but all the bugs in the thread are concerning to say the least. I’ve been disappointed in the past with audiophile equipment that was buggy and not user friendly and I’m past the point of constantly wanting to fiddle with stuff. I just want it to work and that’s what I have now. Thanks!

As a CD transport and DLNA endpoint, it has been great. Sound quality is excellent via AES/EBU to by Yggdrassil.

I don't have enough Airplay devices to comment on if Airplay is as reliable.

If you want "no fiddle", then you are going to pay a premium. I would say that the ET3 far exceeds its price point.

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #445 of 781

Second what @Daniel Johnston has said about the ET-3 above. I use the ET-3 via I2S into the Holo Spring 3 KTE. Very pleased thus far.

As for Airplay, because Shanling only implements Airplay (and not Airplay 2, which pushes everything down to AAC), it streams at lossless. (see also https://darko.audio/2023/10/apple-airplay-isnt-always-lossless-sometimes-its-lossy/) If you do a search on the thread, someone else has posted about it previously.

Airplay is as stable as your wifi network is. No issues with mine. I have been using Airplay since the post on this thread I mentioned above and I am very pleased with the convenience of using my iPhone and iPad Pro to stream. Much better UX than any other means of doing so. SQ is good as it is over wifi (and again dependent on your wifi network, of course). No, there is no wake up of the device using Airplay. In other streamers I have used, you would usually need a remote control for that anyway.

Difficult to get on one's network? Not sure if a few cases would lead you to that conclusion. I did not have any issues at all with that. In any event, once the initial set up has been done, things have been excellent.

For myself, the Shanling house sound and the impressive use cases from this small little box goes beyond the stellar sound quality of the CD player around which the other functionalities have been built. :)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #446 of 781
Here is another example on Airplay via ET3 and Roon.

I use AES connections from ET3 to a Gustard R26 R2R DAC, the AirPlay Roon source is at max resolution of 44Khz which was upsampled by ET3 to 192Khz PCM into the R2R DAC (the DAC internal upsample circuit was not turned on, staying in NOS mode), the sound quality is excellent amplified by a PS Audio BHK preamp and Accuphase Class A power amp (both via balanced connections).

Ideally I should use the I2S connection on ET3 and the Gustard R26 which allows a much higher upsample rate by ET3. Unfortunately the R26 uses a very unique I2S Pin configuration, so it is not compatible with ET3 unless I order a customized I2S cable.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #447 of 781
I placed an order for next week but it's most likely going to get canceled tomorrow, unfortunately. I don't think I would mind bearing with some bugs here and there, especially as I am only interested to use it as a SRC CD player. Not BT, AP or anything else. It's cool that it has those features but no upsampling on USB and no gapless playback is sort of a deal breaker. What do you think? Seems that some people have issues with CD playback. I have no experience with Shanling and don't want to rush to judgment. I guess I am still interested in this praised sound.

While I have devices with AES inputs, none with I2S, the Dac I want to use it with has BNC, Toslink and USB.

Looked on the website, and it says USB output: up to PCM 768kHz / 32bit, DSD 512. This is the information I went by before I purchased it.

https://en.shanling.com/article-IntroET3.html

My DAC does DSD 512 Native and was very curious to hear it via USB.

Came here to read the post about updates and saw no USB SRC post, then in the manual, USB does not upsample, and also only the USB Drive supports gapless playback. So no gapless playback on the CD player? Yikes. Why doesn't the USB upsample? Does it read ahead?

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #448 of 781
I placed an order for next week but it's most likely going to get canceled tomorrow, unfortunately. I don't think I would mind bearing with some bugs here and there, especially as I am only interested to use it as a SRC CD player. Not BT, AP or anything else. It's cool that it has those features but no upsampling on USB and no gapless playback is sort of a deal breaker. What do you think? Seems that some people have issues with CD playback. I have no experience with Shanling and don't want to rush to judgment. I guess I am still interested in this praised sound.

While I have devices with AES inputs, none with I2S, the Dac I want to use it with has BNC, Toslink and USB.

Looked on the website, and it says USB output: up to PCM 768kHz / 32bit, DSD 512. This is the information I went by before I purchased it.

https://en.shanling.com/article-IntroET3.html

My DAC does DSD 512 Native and was very curious to hear it via USB.

Came here to read the post about updates and saw no USB SRC post, then in the manual, USB does not upsample, and also only the USB Drive supports gapless playback. So no gapless playback on the CD player? Yikes. Why doesn't the USB upsample? Does it read ahead?

Well, there is gapless playback on the CD transport. That's my use of the ET3 99% of the time.

I'm usure why no upsampling via USB is a big deal? You have DACs with AES/EBU which allows upsampling and arguably is one of the best sounding outputs. You can easily purchase a BNC to coax cable for the DAC you want to use with the ET3 (which many consider the next best sounding output).

I've purchased multiple Shanling products. They are all great "bang for the buck" items. I've had very little if any real issues with any of them. Yes, some features can be quirky, but not significantly more than any other audio product of any price that I've used. If you read only forums, you are going to get a falsely higher impression of problems. As for the ET3, it is most certainly not the "half baked" product you seem to think based on your readings. It is surprisingly luxurious and well built.

I doubt you'll find a better CD transport/streamer for less than 3-4x the cost of the ET3. And even then, that product is unlikely to not have some quirks.

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #449 of 781
USB output is managed by completely different part of the system than the standard digital outputs, it doesn't go through the upsampling chipset.
It's noted directly on the ET3 product page: https://en.shanling.com/product/435

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 10, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #450 of 781
Well, there is gapless playback on the CD transport. That's my use of the ET3 99% of the time.

I'm usure why no upsampling via USB is a big deal? You have DACs with AES/EBU which allows upsampling and arguably is one of the best sounding outputs. You can easily purchase a BNC to coax cable for the DAC you want to use with the ET3 (which many consider the next best sounding output).

I've purchased multiple Shanling products. They are all great "bang for the buck" items. I've had very little if any real issues with any of them. Yes, some features can be quirky, but not significantly more than any other audio product of any price that I've used. If you read only forums, you are going to get a falsely higher impression of problems. As for the ET3, it is most certainly not the "half baked" product you seem to think based on your readings. It is surprisingly luxurious and well built.

I doubt you'll find a better CD transport/streamer for less than 3-4x the cost of the ET3. And even then, that product is unlikely to not have some quirks.
Agree. Gapless is no issue on the CD Player. No idea where @Private read about no gapless for CD playback.

The other thing is this: Shanling upsampling is excellent. And the Shanling house sound cannot be beat if you enjoy an organic voicing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back