Shanling ET3 - Dedicated Digital CD Transport, With USB Drive and Wi-Fi Support
Jan 4, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #421 of 793
ET3 CD playing without sound: My new ET3 with firmware 1.6 has this weird behavior:

Setup: ET3 Coax output to Gustard R26 DAC; ET3 SRC set to upsample to PCM 192K, then DAC balanced out to PS audio preamp and Accuphase power amp.

Problem: Turn ET3 back on from stand by, play CD, no sound. Gustard display PCM 48K.

Have to power down ET3 and turn power back on, then play CD again, Gustard DAC displays PCM 192K and CD sounds ok

Looks like a bug for ET3 to me
Noted and reported to software team.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 4, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #422 of 793
Noted and reported to software team.
Thank you. Additional detail: this bug only surfaces when the ET3 was in ApplePay mode before the CD plays.

Suggestion for improvement:

(1) Made CD mode a priority. When CD play is activated, completely turn off ApplePlay mode.

(2) Allow ApplePay or CD play mode to wake up the ET3 from the Standby mode automatically without using the front panel power dial

(3) Support automatic standby mode if the player stay idle for over a certain period of time (say 1 hour)

Thanks !

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #423 of 793
@Shanling

As a follow up, the EC mini works flawlessly with the Woo WA8 over USB. Still no luck with the ET3.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #427 of 793
Oh heck yes! I have been asking for a Baby Urd (Urd Jr?) ever since I found out about the one currently available.

Cut the fancy USB functionality for sure, cut the price and size as much as you can, and I think it would sell nicely.

The EC Mini is about the smallest you can get without going into the "toy" CD players. Same basic CD transport and laser as ET3.

The ET3 isn't really that small. It's more narrow than the URD, but it's still pretty deep. I went with the ET3 over URD because it is a better form factor for me. It also has more features for a little more than 1/2 the price.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #428 of 793
The EC Mini is about the smallest you can get without going into the "toy" CD players. Same basic CD transport and laser as ET3.

The ET3 isn't really that small. It's more narrow than the URD, but it's still pretty deep. I went with the ET3 over URD because it is a better form factor for me. It also has more features for a little more than 1/2 the price.
Well yes I think I was driving at price more so than size :) :)

But I definitely appreciate the pointers. I have (and love) many, many CDs but have not truly loved a player since my top-load 5-carousel (yamaha?) of the 90s, seemingly long before anyone wanted digital out on a CD player.

I have a cayin mk2 right now but it is semi-infuriating.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #429 of 793

But I definitely appreciate the pointers. I have (and love) many, many CDs but have not truly loved a player since my top-load 5-carousel (yamaha?) of the 90s, seemingly long before anyone wanted digital out on a CD player.

I can vouch the ET3 through toslink AES/EBU, and coax is excellent. Paired with a Yggdrasil OG, no complaints. The upsampling works great as well. However, it is unclear if this is a benefit with the Yggy. I like the top loading aspect as well.

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #430 of 793

I have the Cayin as well. I like the ET now. I like it more. But the SW needs improvements. I have to power cycle it once in a while

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #431 of 793

The EC Mini has too much wrong with it for my needs. #1 slot load. Not with my CDs. I have seen these ruin too many CDs. #2 no useful display. If I have this on a shelf there is no way to see the display. #3 battery only as far as I can tell. This would be for use in my house.

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #432 of 793
The EC Mini has too much wrong with it for my needs. #1 slot load. Not with my CDs. I have seen these ruin too many CDs. #2 no useful display. If I have this on a shelf there is no way to see the display. #3 battery only as far as I can tell. This would be for use in my house.

It's unlikely that slot loading will damage your CDs. I have CDs that are literally 30 years old I used in my car back in the day that play perfectly. I agree about the display. But, Eddict does well in this case. It has a battery, but runs off of USB C as well.

My point was you can't get smaller than the EC mini without serious compromises. The ET3 is 2x the price but has significantly better functionality. That's why it is in my main system. Make it a Roon endpoint and it would be perfect for my usage.

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #433 of 793
I should perhaps mention that Shanling advises not using the ec mini while charging. Not sure why, but that does potentially affect its useability as a standalone house player. Having said that, it has excellent battery life and I have been using it as a desktop unit and just charging overnight occasionally.
I really like it, but if I was buying as a main system transport would get the ET3. I have a modded Jaye's Audio, however, so no excuse to buy one.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #434 of 793
I should perhaps mention that Shanling advises not using the ec mini while charging. Not sure why, but that does potentially affect its usea

Source? It's not in the manual. I did see at another forum that harmonic distortion increases with the unit charging.

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #435 of 793
Source? It's not in the manual. I did see at another forum that harmonic distortion increases with the unit charging.
It is in the manual, but you would be forgiven for missing it. No.7 of Security Instructions. For some reason I cant copy and paste it but its there.

"Please try and avoid using this unit when it is charging"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back