Shanling ET3 - Dedicated Digital CD Transport, With USB Drive and Wi-Fi Support
Nov 6, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #226 of 757
Update on this, we got R26 in office and could test it today.

Issue is a mismatch on the DSD detection pin. ET3 will work fine with R26 on PCM files. But if you try to play DSD files on ET3 (or use upsampling to DSD), R26 doesn't seem to be able to recognize it as DSD stream. It will still play, byt R26 will be reporting it as PCM playback.

Issue with Topping is a mismatch on pins 15,16 and the grounding pin. Our engineers are unable to say if it would work or not. Their only recommendation would be to get a custom-made cable to fix this mismatch.
Hello, I made a custom hdmi cable to match et3 and d90 pinouts in their default modes. Signal is recognized by the topping (dsd/pcm/sampling rate), but there is no sound at all. The only sound appears for about half a second when I switch between upsampling modes on et3. Don't know where to go from here.

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #227 of 757
I would like to buy a portable CD player, the Shanling ET3, can I connect it to the Cayin N7 only via the USB port?

Well, ET3 is not a portable player, it's our desktop unit.

Cayin DAPs is not something we tested, but in theory it should work fine as USB DAC with USB output of ET3

Hello, I made a custom hdmi cable to match et3 and d90 pinouts in their default modes. Signal is recognized by the topping (dsd/pcm/sampling rate), but there is no sound at all. The only sound appears for about half a second when I switch between upsampling modes on et3. Don't know where to go from here.

If you try to use standard HDMI cable, how was it behaving?

In such situation, when you have custom cable and non-Shanling DAC, I'm afraid we can't assist much remotely.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #228 of 757
Well, ET3 is not a portable player, it's our desktop unit.

Cayin DAPs is not something we tested, but in theory it should work fine as USB DAC with USB output of ET3

If you try to use standard HDMI cable, how was it behaving?

In such situation, when you have custom cable and non-Shanling DAC, I'm afraid we can't assist much remotely.
With standard HDMI cable only PCM signal was recognized (no DSD), there was also no sound.
Here is the pinout for custom cable:

ET3 SIDE
D90 SIDE
PIN 1 DATA-PIN 3 DATA-
PIN 2 GNDPIN 2 GND
PIN 3 DATA+PIN 1 DATA+
PIN 4 BCK+PIN 4 BCK+
PIN 5 GNDPIN 5 GND
PIN 6 BCK-PIN 6 BCK-
PIN 7 LRCK-PIN 9 LRCK-
PIN 8 GNDPIN 8 GND
PIN 9 LRCK+PIN 7 LRCK+
PIN 10 MCLK+PIN 10 MCLK+
PIN 11 GNDPIN 11 GND
PIN 12 MCLK-PIN 12 MCLK-
PIN 15 MUTEPIN 16 MUTE
PIN 16 DSD_DETPIN 15 DSD_FLAG
PIN 17 GNDPIN 19 GND
PIN 20 SHIELDPIN 20 SHIELD

Nov 12, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #230 of 757
What is special about Shanling L8 cable ?
Can I use regular hdmi cable between EH3 and ET3? Since their pin is set to match each other?
Not sure about the L8 cable. I am using an AudioQuest cable to connect the ET3 and the Holo Spring 3 KTE. No issues. :)

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #231 of 757
Hi, since Shanling attends the thread, I'm posting my not so good experience with Eddict and ET3. The firmware was initially v. 1.3, later I upgraded to v. 1.5. Using a Samsung S22 with Android 13 I could neither communicate with the ET3 transport to pass the WiFi settings, nor via Bluetooth/SyncLink. I followed the instructions of the Advanced User Manual. The Network Distribution timed out in both the phone and the player with no connection. The Bluetooth connection was interrupted with message "Bluetooth disconnected". I finally managed to enter the WiFi settings using a Samsung S4 mini with Lineage/Android 9, where the Network Distribution failed too - it couldn't even recognize the SSID - but the Bluetooth/SyncLink connection was finally established and I entered the connection info manually.

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #232 of 757
Another - minor - problem I encountered with Eddict was that it couldn't accept my phone number (with country code) in the user registration screen, keep prompting to enter a valid phone number. Last, I couldn't understand why the Network Distribution menu requires the activation of the Location service to identify the WiFi SSID. :rolling_eyes:

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #235 of 757
Another - minor - problem I encountered with Eddict was that it couldn't accept my phone number (with country code) in the user registration screen, keep prompting to enter a valid phone number. Last, I couldn't understand why the Network Distribution menu requires the activation of the Location service to identify the WiFi SSID. :rolling_eyes:
That is because that is only for China mobile numbers. Only know cos we had asked about that some time ago when using the Eddict Player for M30.

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #237 of 757
Have a look at the manual which @Shanling posted at the start of the thread. If I recall correctly, spdif and toslink also works to upsample but not to such a high sampling rate as I2S.

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #238 of 757
What is special about Shanling L8 cable ?
Can I use regular hdmi cable between EH3 and ET3? Since their pin is set to match each other?

It's a nicely built HDMI cable, nothing extra Hi-Fi grade, just a reliable basic cable I would use rather than a random HDMI cable I got with my monitor.

But if you already have some other decent cable, it should work just fine between ET3 and EH3

Hi, since Shanling attends the thread, I'm posting my not so good experience with Eddict and ET3. The firmware was initially v. 1.3, later I upgraded to v. 1.5. Using a Samsung S22 with Android 13 I could neither communicate with the ET3 transport to pass the WiFi settings, nor via Bluetooth/SyncLink. I followed the instructions of the Advanced User Manual. The Network Distribution timed out in both the phone and the player with no connection. The Bluetooth connection was interrupted with message "Bluetooth disconnected". I finally managed to enter the WiFi settings using a Samsung S4 mini with Lineage/Android 9, where the Network Distribution failed too - it couldn't even recognize the SSID - but the Bluetooth/SyncLink connection was finally established and I entered the connection info manually.

Ok, thanks for report on the Samsung S22 compatibility issues. Good to hear it worked fine using other phone.

Registration is meaningless, it's just for Mainland Chinese market, it doesn't limit the functions in any way if you don't register.
Location data is needed by the system when accessing info on the connected Wi-Fi.

Can the et3 usb audio out upsample to dsd, which then I can connect to another dac say gustard r26 will this work

No Upsampling on the USB Out.

ET3 USB out doesn't upsample, only IIS out does
USB is the only output that can't upsample.
All other outputs work with upsampling, only limited by the capabilities of their standard.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 14, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #239 of 757
Just want to double-check:

(1) Can I use the "USB Audio" port:
1699972791423.png

to output the CD audio signal from the ET3 to a USB DAC [e.g. Mojo Audio Mystique XMOS USB DAC]
1699972684591.png
?

(2) Is the i2s output from the ET3 compatible with the SMSL D400EX?

(3) Is an i2s cable included with the ET3?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #240 of 757
Just want to double-check:

(1) Can I use the "USB Audio" port: 1699972791423.png

to output the CD audio signal from the ET3 to a USB DAC [e.g. Mojo Audio Mystique XMOS USB DAC] 1699972684591.png?

(2) Is the i2s output from the ET3 compatible with the SMSL D400EX?

(3) Is an i2s cable included with the ET3?

Thank you.
1. Yes.
2. No idea iro that DAC
3. No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back