Shanling EC3 - Compact CD Player for your desk and small Hi-Fi rigs
Oct 14, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #16 of 73
I can actually see this device have some appeal. The fact that it has Bluetooth connectivity and that it can be a DAC is what should allow for it to be useful. Although I digitized my entire CD collection years ago, I still have all my CDs and I could see myself using a CD player such as this on occasion. Now if it couldn't do Bluetooth or be a DAC, no, not a chance, but if the price isn't ridiculous, which I do fear it will be, I could see a place for this product. Not a necessity by any means, but I think many of us older people (I'm 54) still get the urge to spin a CD once in a while. I know that I do.
I spin CD almost daily.....

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #17 of 73
Hi-Res music player by connecting any USB drive with audio files

This has me very interested. Is there a file limit? Wondering if a library of 30,000+ songs will work on this.

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 73
People still do that with things like roon, audirvana, jriver etc?

Perhaps I'm behind the times, but I'm just looking for a transport that can connect a very large (and always getting larger) music library to a desktop amp via toslink. I'm using a DAP for this at the moment with a 1TB sdcard, but the CD player aspect of the Shanling EC3 would be phenomenal. Aside from knowing if there's an upper file limit, I also wonder what the maximum supported storage size is as well.

Oct 14, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #24 of 73
It's nice to see a new CD player in 2022, glad to see that !

The format itself, contrary to some beliefs stated here, is still relatively mainstream. In Germany it represented 16.3% of the market share in 2021 and that's quite a lot.
This will of course vary by country a lot, but even in my country it has seen quite a revival as there are many stores in which I can found hundreds of CDs,
many of which are new releases.
So there is definetely a market for it, although my guess is most members of this forum are probably not into physical media.

While in 2010 or so I threw away many CDs (which I regretted later) and lost interest in the format, that changed about 3-4 years ago when I disovered some albums from
the 2000s were not available anywhere else but on CD. So this got me into buying these (at higher prices than the original retail price) and also got me interested in the
format once again. In time, I started buying more CDs as I saw them coming back in stores, but also from bandcamp and old albums.

As for the device itself, the DAC and BT features are nice to see, although I don't consider them a must have. I use a stand-alone DAC, so it's unlikely I will use the
one integrated in this player if I were to buy it, but I do see its utility. As for BT, again I see how that can be useful for using wireless headphones or speakers, but
I'm personally not into that when it comes to such a device. Rather, my use scenario would be to connect it to an amp and speakers via its RCA outputs.

I'll link a video from Darko Audio with 15 reasons why he still buys CDs (I think it's interesting to watch):

Attachments

• Germany CD market share 2021.jpg
    Germany CD market share 2021.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0
Oct 14, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #25 of 73
(I have 2 stacks of CD's on my dresser, arm's length tall, and those are just the favorites.
There are many more in the living room...)

Oh how I wish I'd had one of these, 20 years ago. All the work it would have saved me... *whew*..

I have a 3 terabyte NAS on my home network to store music, pictures, etc.
And yes it gets used.
But I also have Amazon prime, which means I get the music service too...

Pretty sure I have all the bases covered (that I need, anyway).
But a younger listener, could clearly use this and save time and money...

Oct 15, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #26 of 73
I’m embarrassed to disclose how many CDs I have, maybe around 3500? I purchased them all thinking I would get around to investigating them....but as we all know, there is just too many choices nowadays. So in a way the value here is it gets you to slow down and concentrate on 1 Cd. I still have my Rega Planet built in the 1990s. There is nothing wrong with 44.1 kHz - 16 bit if the signal is left in a pure form....it still holds a fascination! Cheers for this thing....such devices are rare now!

Oct 15, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #27 of 73
I’m embarrassed to disclose how many CDs I have, maybe around 3500? I purchased them all thinking I would get around to investigating them....but as we all know, there is just too many choices nowadays. So in a way the value here is it gets you to slow down and concentrate on 1 Cd. I still have my Rega Planet built in the 1990s. There is nothing wrong with 44.1 kHz - 16 bit if the signal is left in a pure form....it still holds a fascination! Cheers for this thing....such devices are rare now!

CDs are ok. I occasionally still buy them to rip them into my roon library if it's a old master that isn't on qobuz.

44.1khz is fine as well but upsampling it into software (roon, HQ player) to the maximum input samplerate of the DAC has its benefits.

But for that a CD transport that supports accurate Rip is plenty.

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #28 of 73
Where is it?
-price
-official site
-other stores

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #29 of 73
The Audiolab CDT-6000 still / always does it for me! Great detail retrieval, operating silence, reliability. With an excellent DAC, 44.1 kHz / 16-bit is fine to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back