shanling CD-T100 or cd-t00c??????
Jun 20, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 28
awsome pics!!

where can i find this player for $1k? been searching around and all the prices i've seen are much higher then that

[edit] oh also, ive notived chinese writing on the box, is Shanling a chinese brand? where is it located?

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProFingerSk8er
awsome pics!!

where can i find this player for $1k? been searching around and all the prices i've seen are much higher then that

[edit] oh also, ive notived chinese writing on the box, is Shanling a chinese brand? where is it located?

I'm pretty sure you'd have to by a used player if you want one for $1,000 because I've never seen them that cheap new. If you don't mind buying used they pop up on audiogon every now and then at around that price. In fact I looked after reading you post and there is one right now. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1092600963 (I'm not the one selling this by the way. Just figured I'd point it out since your interested.)

EDIT: I'm talking about the CD-T100 in this post.

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #19 of 28
The average used price is actually closer to $1200 or so, I have seen $1000 before but they go real fast.

EDIT: HERE'S ONE http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1092600963 Get it while the getting is good
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mneuwiueyagaobcf
Hi, would $2000US new for this player be worth it?

Bhd, do you have some impressions of your shanling vs. your NAD?

A better deal would be to try and find a used one with some mods on it for the $2K. I don't think the Shanling (in stock form) would be an upgrade over your current CDP. There is a review on www.6moons.com comparing your fog V2 and a modified Shanling. The shanling is a fuller but less detailed player than yours is. I think at best it would be a sideways move.

Jun 21, 2004 at 1:00 PM Post #22 of 28
Add some high grades tubes and the resolution can be overwhelming. Bendix Redbank 6385's in particular for this.

$2k for a player is a lot of money for me, and I would want one with modifications for sure. There is no reason you can't find one for around $2k modded on audiogon with a little patience. May be $2.3-2.6 depending... but yeah, mods wow!

Jun 21, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I've got a T100 and a T200. The ones I have are in the original color scheme with gold on the legs. The new T100c and T200c have a lower profile look which I quite like (the color of the legs is a light grey). A good friend of mine bought a T200c after hearing my players. No change in sonics that I know of, just the cosmetics.

They are indeed stunning players to look at and to hear. There are a lot of mods that you can get done, but the biggest bang for the buck improvement you can do is to tube roll it. The Western Electric and/or Northern Electric 396A tubes are a great way to go, as are the much more rare 6581 tubes.

I've tried the headphone out a couple of times and was shocked at how good it sounds! Of course, this is after the player has been tube rolled, so you are feeding off of that. The head out tubes are the 2 on the right. The 2 on the left are for the tube out section on the back of the player (i.e., to be used if you are running it into a head amp). You are right on with your assessment that this would save a ton of money! The only problem I've had when doing my (***very limited***) testing of the headphone jack is that I just can't attenuate the volume with as much refinement as I get with a head amp.

Zanth and tom hankins also have Shanling players, and maybe some others here as well, in case you want more opinions.

can you tell me about build in headmp how it compare to single pow ppx3 please or other top headamp
thank you

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #24 of 28
If one were to disconnect the tube amp section and reroute the power to the headamp, it would have the power to drive any phone to suitably ear bleeding levels with the control and finesse they deserve. HP-1's are notorious for being tough to drive and it shows, though ironically, HD600's are really nice with it. Some early impressions with only WE's and no mods to the headamp were shared and they were very positive with things like, better than the Meier HA-1, Gilmore V2. This is solid state vs. tube though so the tubey magic could have been a factor here but again, the gilmore is known for its power and folks still dug the Sens. With some tube rolling some mods etc...I'm confident the headamp could make many very happy, but in the end, for us lunatic head-fiers, it can't ever be enough.

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #25 of 28
I've always found the headphone output of the Shanling to be just OK. Not great just OK. Better than some entry level solid state amps but not the equal of the better tube amps out there. My preference would be to disconnect the headphone amp portion of the circuit from the player. I have heard this mod done to both the CDT-100 and SACD200 will very good results.

Jun 22, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
The headphone amp does sound nice and smooth, rolling the tube helps a lot as WMcmanus stated, the tubes though that he was refering to are 6385s not 6581s. And these in my opinion are the be all and end all for the Shanling. I've tried everything else and nothing comes close.

Ooops, sorry Jason. When I was posting this, I was away from home and could not look at the box. The 6385's are the ones you recommended and although I bought a pair, I also bought a pair of Northern Electric 396A cryo treated which I put in the T200 right away and have not changed since. I'll have to try the 6385's when I get back to Cayman. They sure did cost enough, so they had better be good!

Jun 22, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
A better deal would be to try and find a used one with some mods on it for the $2K. I don't think the Shanling (in stock form) would be an upgrade over your current CDP. There is a review on www.6moons.com comparing your fog V2 and a modified Shanling. The shanling is a fuller but less detailed player than yours is. I think at best it would be a sideways move.

G'day Tom,

Thanks for your advice and the site. Although it might not be an upgrade sonic wise, it sure would be an upgrade in the looks department.

The cheapest price in Australia for the stock shanling is US$2000.

A modded one includes Western Electric WE396A dual triode valve replacement for line output, Analog Devices AD825 op-amp modules and Burr-Brown OPA2134 in the output stage. Extremely low jitter, high accuracy digital master clock replacement. High Speed Rectifier Diodes in power supplies. Auricap bypass capacitors in power supply. Black Gate capacitors in signal path. The price for this one is closer to US $4000.

frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back