Shadow Impressions
Nov 24, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #166 of 223
Hello Haycheng,

I heard a lot of hiss with my SE530s before I used the , strong from laptop, a lot weaker from ipod. With the shadow there is no hiss at all....I turn itunes and laptop up full, and then get this signal to the shadow. All you hear with the Se530 is a very slight feeling that there is "something" at high volume levels, only if you actually concentrate on it, it does not even disturb me while listening to classical music....what are you sources, how do you connect? I do not htink you should hear any hiss, even with SE530s...
beerchug.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #167 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just snagged a black one [Gen 3 Nano], perfect "color" match, 8 GB, for $80 re-conditioned from Ammy marketplace. With black velcro and a black LOD I am all set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes and sound is amazing.
I use an sx ALO sylver cable.
( difficult to hear a diiffernce bw this setup and an Imod with dedicated cable )

You are SO right! I owe you Rico! Took delivery today (do we love Ammy or what!) and filled up the Nano with many of the same files as on my 5.5 Gen iMod + iCube + ALO vCap cable. Going back and forth with ATH-ES7's I cannot hear a difference. The Shadow is a triumph!! So I have two rigs, 80GB vs 8GB, big v small, same interface ... life is good.

At Thanksgiving I will say thanks to all those at Head-Fi for all the super advice!

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #168 of 223
Wavoman,
great.
I m pleased that you enjoy your new setup.
I use Nano 3G ( 8Gig)-Alo cable-Shadow-UM3 outside.
I use Imod (250Gig) and Pvcaps only at home and when i want to drive my GS 1000 i use the ALO RX amp.
I prefer Shadow for UM3 and portable headphones and RX for full Headphone.
And i'm very happy with this 2 rigs, one portable and the other Transportable.
Life is good here too!

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #169 of 223
Quote:

Wavoman,
great.
I m pleased that you enjoy your new setup.
I use Nano 3G ( 8Gig)-Alo cable-Shadow-UM3 outside.
I use Imod (250Gig) and Pvcaps only at home and when i want to drive my GS 1000 i use the ALO RX amp.
I prefer Shadow for UM3 and portable headphones and RX for full Headphone.
And i'm very happy with this 2 rigs, one portable and the other Transportable.
Life is good here too!

How do you compare the Shadow and Rx soundwise through your UM3X?

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #171 of 223
It's UM3, not UM3 X.
I prefer shadow to drive UM3 and RX to drive GS 1000.
The reasons are :
RX is too much "agressive" with UM3.
Shadow is perfect balance for UM3, details, dynamic with a touch of warm.
RX is a beat to much dynamic and sound "cold", great for short session but for me it's too much " agressif".
This 2 amps are really great amps and there is a place for each.
If you want only one to drive hearsphone and full size headphone, RX is the perfect choice.
If you want only one to drive Hearsphone, Shadow is the better choice and best for portability and batterie life.
It's just my opinion, nothing more.

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #172 of 223
Quote:

It's UM3, not UM3 X.
The reasons are :
RX is a beat to much dynamic and sound "cold", great for short session but for me it's too much " agressif".
If you want only one to drive hearsphone and full size headphone, RX is the perfect choice.
If you want only one to drive Hearsphone, Shadow is the better choice and best for portability and batterie life.

i'm fairly certain there is no model called UM3 from Westone. there are the W3, UM3X and UM2... but no UM3. perhaps you have the W3?

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #173 of 223
Quote:

It's UM3, not UM3 X.
The reasons are :

I've never heard of UM3. There is a Westone 3 and UM3X.

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #174 of 223
SORRY WESTONE 3

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #175 of 223
What is this ammy marketplace I can not find it I would like to get the same deal . Does the nano 3 gen have a dock connector. Thanks

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #176 of 223
Yes it have a dock connector .

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #177 of 223
I want to let you guys know that Mr Ted Peisly (The CablePro) is now making Low profile LODs with a couple different cables ( reverie and earcandie-ligth) He can make them however you need them with different 3.5 connectors as well as with the cable coming out of the side or the top of the dock connector. I got one and it really improved the sound of my shadow which was already amazing. It increased the soundstage and dynamic range of all my lossless files. I will post a review with pictures when it is completly burnt.
As it is rigth now I hear a lot more detail in my music than with my moon audio LODs that are pretty good as well , but no competition to the cable pro reverie.

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #178 of 223
Does anyone have any comparisons between the Shadow and the Hornet? I've had my Hornet for 3+ yrs now and I'd like to upgrade the SQ. Are the vocals as close to you in both? I have IE8's and from what I understand they are forward also, I don't think I want any more forwardness or the vocals are going to be behind me. LOL. Seriously, I love the Hornet and Ray's customer service is top notch but I was considering the Lisa III. Skylab's amp review put the Mustang right at the top among many and just a notch below or, depending on interpretation on equal par with the Lisa, so I wonder if he would rate the Shadow above the Lisa for use with IEM's.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #179 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Skylab's amp review put the Mustang right at the top among many and just a notch below or, depending on interpretation on equal par with the Lisa, so I wonder if he would rate the Shadow above the Lisa for use with IEM's.

I can't answer directly, but I do own both the Lisa III and Mustang P-51, use both with IEM's (UE11). The P-51 is either about as good or equal to the Shadow, according to reports.

The P-51 is a very, very good amp, impossible to beat for it's size. The Lisa III is not just a little better, it is a LOT better, not even close better. That said, the Lisa III is huge, it was not designed to work with IEMs, it has very short battery life and can generally be a pain especially ifyou plan on using it as a portable.

So, if you want the best SOUND money can buy and the other factors aren't important, Lisa is the undisputed champ. If you want a great, really small amp and factors like portability matter, Shadow (or P-51) will be a fantastic choice.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #180 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have any comparisons between the Shadow and the Hornet? I've had my Hornet for 3+ yrs now and I'd like to upgrade the SQ. Are the vocals as close to you in both? I have IE8's and from what I understand they are forward also, I don't think I want any more forwardness or the vocals are going to be behind me. LOL. Seriously, I love the Hornet and Ray's customer service is top notch but I was considering the Lisa III. Skylab's amp review put the Mustang right at the top among many and just a notch below or, depending on interpretation on equal par with the Lisa, so I wonder if he would rate the Shadow above the Lisa for use with IEM's.

I haven't compared them directly, however I owned a Hornet for a long time and moved up the line in Ray's portable amps (Predator, then P-51 and now considering a Shadow). All I can say is that in my experience the P-51 is a far better portable amp than the Hornet. I really don't think you would be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back