Shadow Impressions
Dec 6, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #196 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get an EMI blocking card from Quick Bridge Solutions - EM Shield for iPhone and put it between the iPhone and amplifier - they work great and are cheap!

Would this solution help in the iPod HDD spin up and spin down problem I am facing when I place the amp right smack behind the HDD area I suppose? Too bad I cant move the amp elsewhere which actually helps but my ALO LOD is just so long

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #197 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by xryptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would this solution help in the iPod HDD spin up and spin down problem I am facing when I place the amp right smack behind the HDD area I suppose? Too bad I cant move the amp elsewhere which actually helps but my ALO LOD is just so long

I suppose it would, but I haven't tried it in that situation.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #198 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by xryptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i have the same problem and I thought the noise was transferred by the LOD, and unlike the Iphone interference...

are you using a low profile LOD btw?

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #199 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by jckp919 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the same problem and I thought the noise was transferred by the LOD, and unlike the Iphone interference...

No, the noise comes through the earphones whether the LOD is connected or not...and goes away if you move the amp even a little bit away from the lower back of the iPod. It does complicate the options for amp placement and LOD configuration...or I may just live with it, as it's super-faint, only occasional, and lasts very briefly.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #200 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Called Fedex yesterday & put a "Hold at Location" request in.
Tracked arrival at local Fedex facility this morning - drove down & picked it up.

Holy crap, is this thing ever SMALL !!!
A nano-sized amp!

But, right out of the box, it sounds great!!! (on JH13's)
(although I promised Ray - no detailed impressions until it passes 100hr. burn-in)

Love the volume control.
Also really like the input / output at opposite ends - works great on my velcro'd Nano / Shadow rig.
(gotta get the hairdryer out, and make some slight changes to the ALO SXC 18AWG LOD)

Thank you Ray.
A true genius analog circuit designer, with a golden ear.

We have another winner here, folks!

more bass than predator?

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #201 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyByNight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the noise comes through the earphones whether the LOD is connected or not...and goes away if you move the amp even a little bit away from the lower back of the iPod. It does complicate the options for amp placement and LOD configuration...or I may just live with it, as it's super-faint, only occasional, and lasts very briefly.

I have the shadow with a 80gb 5.5 iMod and hear no such interference with the JH13 or any other headphones I have. I use a sightly different LOD obviously, but even with my other iPod and the ALO LOD I have, no sound at all int eh background.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #202 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are you saying when you just turn the amp on, as the volume resets to close to zero, and have the earphones in, the amp is loud enough? That is really strange as for both my TF10s and JH13, I can barely hear the sound unless I increase the volume, maybe something is wrong with your volume control?

When I have my JH16's plugged in and just turn on the amp it is almost loud enough I don't need to turn up anymore to hear fine. By no means does it go to silence, not even close.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #204 of 223
Anyone who may have the new JH13/16 that got the Otterbox Model 1000 case, the Shadow and cans both fit in the case nicely at the same time. Now if I can just fit that Sansa Fuze in there it would be sweet.

Also the Shadow fits in an Altoids box. With Altoid box laying horizontal, the Shadow fits Vertically in the box (not with the headphone cable plugged in). It obviously fits horizontally but it is more amazing it fits vertically. Same thing, I wish the Shadow and Sansa fit in the Altoid box as I would just mod the box to hold them both and drill a hole for the phones to come out of.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #205 of 223

I read the Head-Fi forums to research my headphone and headphone amp purchase. Thought I'd post my current set-up. I am lucky enough to live near Ray Saumuel's shop so I was able to audition the Emmeline Shadow amp prior to purchase. I carry around two lengths of velcro purchased on a roll from Home Depot. One length is to connect amp to watch band and one is to connect amp to Iphone. So far I prefer the amp to headphone. walking around with this setup is incredibly convenient compared to all previous set-ups.

I am able to load lossless files on my Ipod Nano usually about 20 albums worth. Since the amp and headphones are new, I will save a sound review for later. I am currently comparing the Ipod Nano with and without amp and with the 5 different headphones that I currently own. I am also saving up for either the Silver Dragon or Twag replacement cable so that I can max out the sound on this setup.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #206 of 223
Whoa nice setup! What a great idea, and that looks super convenient!

I've also posted on the Fiio E11 thread, but I was wondering if anyone here can give me a comparison between the two even as there is such a large price difference. I'm very interested in the Shadow and currently have the E11 (and do like it very much). Would the Shadow be an upgrade over the E11 or are their signatures quite different?

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #207 of 223

The Shadow is top notch, IMO much better than the E11. I actually preferred the sound over my P-51 Mustang although the sound sig is very close, but i can hear the difference , especially in the low end( shadow wins). Just my 0.02
Quote:
Whoa nice setup! What a great idea, and that looks super convenient!I've also posted on the Fiio E11 thread, but I was wondering if anyone here can give me a comparison between the two even as there is such a large price difference. I'm very interested in the Shadow and currently have the E11 (and do like it very much). Would the Shadow be an upgrade over the E11 or are their signatures quite different?

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #208 of 223
Thanks for your input, if the Shadow is an upgrade over the E11 then I will certainly consider it. Would you also be able to give me some IEMs that have good synergy with the Shadow? 

Quote:
The Shadow is top notch, IMO much better than the E11. I actually preferred the sound over my P-51 Mustang although the sound sig is very close, but i can hear the difference , especially in the low end( shadow wins). Just my 0.02

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #209 of 223

SM3,CK10,TF-10, MTPC to mention a few. Realy loved how it sounded with the CK10. Pico slim might be another amp that might interest you. IMO it's better than the Shadow for around the same price. Hope that helps. Cheers
Quote:
Thanks for your input, if the Shadow is an upgrade over the E11 then I will certainly consider it. Would you also be able to give me some IEMs that have good synergy with the Shadow?  

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #210 of 223
Hello,
I would like to present my review and experiment with the RSA Shadow. I only use IEM : Shure SE-530 and now Westone UM3X since around one year.
I was the proud owner of à RSA Tomahawk, since at least 5 years. During a trip to Hong-Kong I had the opportunity to test some fine portable amps. This was possible at the Jaben shop, because a lot of amps are in stock and in demonstration. I would like to thanks here this shop because of its kindness and explainations.
I tested those amps, during around one hour :
  1. Pico Slim
  2. Meier 2Stepdance
  3. RSA P51
  4. RSA Shadow

Coming from a RSA product, it would be natural that I prefered another RSA model... But this comparison was very interesting. The Pico Slim is a very good amp : very detailed and with good high freq.
The 2Stepdance is a little big to bulky fo me and I think that for IEM it's a little bit too much !
The P51 is very close to the Shadow, but for amping only IEM the Shadow was the best : very good low freq : the best of all (with P51). Treble are little bit shorter than Pico Slim, but not so much.
My old Tomahawk was clearly not is the same league : less engaging, less details, less frequency range. And it makes a loud "pop" sound when I turn it on with IEM connected (this problem can be avoided if you connect the IEM after turning on the amp, but it's not very user-friendly).
This "pop" sound is very small with the Shadow, and it was way too loud with the Meier amp and Pico Slim.
The Shadow produces a very little hiss (Tomahawk in low gain was dead silent) but it can only be heard in completely silent environment (i wasn't able to hear it in the shop). Another little gripe : the sound level is always resetted to the minimum level when you turn on the amp : recalling the last setting would be preferable for me.

So, in conclusion : the Shadow was the best choice for me. Thanks again Ray for making so good amps and Jaben HK for your perfect kindness !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back