Shadow Impressions
Nov 18, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #151 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good idea, BlackStarPUA, that is the proper way of finding & isolating the problem. If it happened to be the LOD please get back to me & I will ship you another one right away.
Cherrs.
Ray Samuels

thanks a lot ray! you are really a nice guy~! i will post my experiment result tomorrow~!
darthsmile.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #153 of 223
Re charging ... the instructions say that charging from a computer USB port is OK, but, when using a wall wart, to only use the charger that came with the Shadow.

Question -- I have a charging system that is supposed to exactly emulate a computer (it is part of the iGo package -- these are the experts in charger substitution). Why can't I use that??

What is it that we are being warned about? What is wrong with wall chargers that are intended to power USB devices??

I often travel without my laptop, and don't want to bring anything but the iGo system -- it charges my BlackBerry, my Moto cell phone, my wife's Palm, my Kindle, my "big" travel amp (the iQube), and all our iPods (classic, shuffle, nano) perfectly.

Very interested in any thoughts on this topic ... one reason I don't use my Predator much is that I have to pack its charger ... using USB to charge was my main motivation for replacing the Predator with the Shadow when going small.

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #154 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re charging ... the instructions say that charging from a computer USB port is OK, but, when using a wall wart, to only use the charger that came with the Shadow.

Question -- I have a charging system that is supposed to exactly emulate a computer (it is part of the iGo package -- these are the experts in charger substitution). Why can't I use that??

What is it that we are being warned about? What is wrong with wall chargers that are intended to power USB devices??

I often travel without my laptop, and don't want to bring anything but the iGo system -- it charges my BlackBerry, my Moto cell phone, my wife's Palm, my Kindle, my "big" travel amp (the iQube), and all our iPods (classic, shuffle, nano) perfectly.

Very interested in any thoughts on this topic ... one reason I don't use my Predator much is that I have to pack its charger ... using USB to charge was my main motivation for replacing the Predator with the Shadow when going small.

You can charge your Shadow with any USB output device that was designed to charge any digital player. Jut be carefull not to charge it with other AC chargers that are not intended for the Shadow.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #155 of 223
Hi Ray,

I dont own the Shadow, but my experience with the T3 makes me wonder how amp makers can get so much grunt into something that small. Surely we wont see anything smaller than this ? My Sony X dwarfs the T3, and from the photos it seems that the Shadow is equally tiny : outstanding.

estreeter

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #156 of 223
I'm not entirely knowledgeable about impedence/sensitivity and gain matching or anything like that. So I'd like to ask a question of you all who actually know what you're doing when it comes to this kind of thing.
How well would this amp pair with
a) Head Direct RE1 - Impedence: 150OHM, Sensitivity: 103dB/1mW
b) Shure SRH840 - Impedence: 44 OHM, Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #157 of 223
I don't know the theories....but I have got the 840s and here is what I think they sound like/compare to the SE530s I usually use with the shadow:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...ml#post6164630

The shadow drives the 840 very well in my opinion, the SE can damage your ears badly, the 840 just get so load you could not listen to that. At low, normal to load volumes the Shadow drives the 840 a lot better than "Naked" using the ipod classic or my MacBook Pro as a source. The best combination I have for the 840 is MacBook Pro to Shadow. They sound vivid, with a touch of a veil to the sound (compared to SE530) but very good soundstage, bass and mids, realistic and warm. The Shadow adds a punchy bass to the 840s, but I guess I would need a solid DAC to exploit the shadow completely, as the ipod can not deliver and I assume the MacBook could also be improved upon. After about 40h on the shadow battery the bass starts to loose a bit of definition and clarity, but you only hear this on bass heavy tracks. Normal tracks and especially all sorts of voices do not suffer and sound amazing with the shadow, I am sooo glad I got it!
beyersmile.png

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #158 of 223
From what I've read about impedence etc, I was thinking it would do well with them. My main concern is that it will work well with the 150 OHM re1's. People are saying it drives the hd650's to a decent volume, but from what I've read volume isn't everything. Something about enough current being supplied? Anyone with a shadow have access to the re1's?

Nov 22, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #159 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can charge your Shadow with any USB output device that was designed to charge any digital player. ...

Got it, thanks! I am listening now, without the break-in, and the SQ is amazing. One can only wonder how it will sound after breaking in. Using an iMod with uncompressed files, signal right off the Wolfson DAC, with Shure 530s.

The 5.5 Gen 80GB iPod looks so big, gotta get something minature to mate with this Shadow, this beautiful piece of engineering! My Cowon i7 is perfect for the Predator, so what to get for this ... nano?

That's what you were using Ray, correct, in NY?

Anyone in doubt, take it from me -- buy this!

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #160 of 223
Nano 3G is great with the Shadow.

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #161 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nano 3G is great with the Shadow.

What a great idea, thanks!! The form factor is almost perfect, isn't it?

Just snagged a black one, perfect "color" match, 8 GB, for $80 re-conditioned from Ammy marketplace. With black velcro and a black LOD I am all set.

Nov 23, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #162 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a great idea, thanks!! The form factor is almost perfect, isn't it?

Just snagged a black one, perfect "color" match, 8 GB, for $80 re-conditioned from Ammy marketplace. With black velcro and a black LOD I am all set.

yes and sound is amazing.
I use an sx ALO sylver cable.
( difficult to hear a diiffernce bw this setup and an Imod with dedicated cable )

Nov 24, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #164 of 223
I had heard hiss with my se530 in between music. Is it normal? I did not hared that with my tomhawk.

Is it possible to lower the gain ever more? I general listen to low end of volumn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back